• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Tks

Major Contributor
Thoughts on a new Rolex that actually changes a LITTLE bit finally..?

I know it's made for folks to be worn on the right hand, but tbh, I'd wear it normally on the left to not have the massive crown and guard digging into the top of my hand. Also looks like you might avoid getting robbed by telling the person it's a fake (one look and they'd realize how ridiculous it looks it almost can't be real).

model-page-gmt-master-ii_m126720vtnr-0001_m126720vtnr-0001_2201ac_003_small_3.jpg

model-cover-lightbox-background-steel-landscape.png

anon2k2

Forum Donor

I know it's made for folks to be worn on the right hand, but tbh, I'd wear it normally on the left to not have the massive crown and guard digging into the top of my hand. Also looks like you might avoid getting robbed by telling the person it's a fake (one look and they'd realize how ridiculous it looks it almost can't be real).

model-page-gmt-master-ii_m126720vtnr-0001_m126720vtnr-0001_2201ac_003_small_3.jpg

model-cover-lightbox-background-steel-landscape.png
I'm all for more choices so if LHD/RHD is a decision point, then this checks that box. Now if you'll actually be able to get one this decade and not have to go through the standard BS that's part of Rolex acquisition is another issue.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The person who is in love with the PaneraiMarina crown-lock asks:
Why do they even have a $%^& crown to begin with?
Especially, if they are chronometer-grade time-pieces?
I don't remember many watches which had a crown in a conspicuous (or a more appropriate) location.
Some '60s Accutrons had them on the back and few other brands located the crown at 10 (or 12) o'clock position.
DST be damned!:mad:

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm all for more choices so if LHD/RHD is a decision point, then this checks that box. Now if you'll actually be able to get one this decade and not have to go through the standard BS that's part of Rolex acquisition is another issue.

You mean buying 5 models that no one in their right mind would care for, and getting on a waitlist for 2-5 years, and coming in for the monthly suck-off you gotta give under the table to the Authorized Dealer until the month they say your order came in?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That is really an attractive time-piece.
Solar and radio means it never will need to be opened...

:p
Thank you yeah not sure why it has a crown. :) It is functional but I would have to look it up. Setting the time zone maybe.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you yeah not sure why it has a crown. :) It is functional but I would have to look it up. Setting the time zone maybe.
In reality, they could easily hog the case out from a single piece ingot (any material) and seal it shut.
Okay; maybe a helium valve to give it all the creds and the looks to make a true/unique statement.:)
Slap a 5 year warranty and that would be the icing on the cake.

FishInLA

I don't have an everyday watch, but I do treasure my driving watch, a Seiko chronograph. The primary movement is quartz, but the chronograph is mechanical, with an extremely satisfying click to the buttons as you, start, stop and reset the timer.

IMG_1175.jpeg

UCrazyKid

Rockin’ the Zeneth Elite Port Royal with 2 time zones today. Inherited from my father.

Attachments

• 811BC068-2365-434A-BAC0-0050F5B30C00.jpeg
    811BC068-2365-434A-BAC0-0050F5B30C00.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 96

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lefty here. Been a long time coming, though I still prefer the Tudor Pelagos LHD. Not exactly in need of left-handed watches, but they are by definition a niche, and a niche that is relevant to me. Toying with the idea of building a collection around the theme of left-hander watches.

Reactions: Tks

anon2k2

Forum Donor
You mean buying 5 models that no one in their right mind would care for, and getting on a waitlist for 2-5 years, and coming in for the monthly suck-off you gotta give under the table to the Authorized Dealer until the month they say your order came in?
That seems like an easier version than what I've been told.

Reactions: Tks

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mother's Day is right around the corner.
It is NOT too late to order both of these.
202204_VanCleefLadyFeerie.jpg
202204_CHannelJ12.jpg

One for your mother and the other for the mother of your children.
Look! Don't get tacky and start asking pricing >> Okay?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I admit I feel naked without a watch on my wrist. But it *has* to be mechanical. No batteries welcome on my wrist.

Ran into this post while waiting for my flight in DFW. Sucky pic of my left wrist attached - it's a Glycine KMU48, to me a perfect (and large, it's 48mm) daily beater watch with an indestructible ETA movement. I have collected watches for over 25 years. I own IWCs, Blancpains, Audermars Piguet, Panerais and others.

It's really not that different from being an audiophile: most of your friends don't get your passion for it, the ones that really care have their own -and sometimes opposite- views... :)

Attachments

• 20221004_140006.jpg
    20221004_140006.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 86

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
mechanical
Which? The winding type or the automatic type?
Now that you mentioned 'mechanical', which I think you mean 'winding type'; I don't recall seeing many posts (if any, at all) for them!
It'd be cool to own a totally mechanical watch; but I could not name you one single manufacturer who offers a quality and accurate winder (w/creds).

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Hamilton Kaki Officer. This watch has been to hell and black with me.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which? The winding type or the automatic type?
Now that you mentioned 'mechanical', which I think you mean 'winding type'; I don't recall seeing many posts (if any, at all) for them!
It'd be cool to own a totally mechanical watch; but I could not name you one single manufacturer who offers a quality and accurate winder (w/creds).
I do both. Just no quartz movement. I always have a smartphone and computer around me, so accuracy to the sec is not relevant to me (but Swiss chronographs do amazingly well). I just love the craftsmanship and the tradition of mechanical watches. And in a holocaust situation they'll keep on ticking, not that I am sure I'd like to be the lone survivor. :)

Last edited:

Pablo27

I got this 1963 given to me by my dad You can see the "crazing" on the face where the 80s service dial has reacted and one of the dot markers that has fallen off! (4 o'clock position).

20221021_165435.jpg

Top Bottom