• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Warning: suspected scam on this forum

Tod

I hope this warning is helpful to other members.

I recently posted a request here for a particular amplifier I wanted to buy. A new member “bradonryan” gave me the email address for a “Christopher Scott” who had one to sell. He had photos of the item and appeared to know what he was selling. I transferred the agreed price to his “son” through PayPal.

After that, neither “bradonryan” “Christopher Scott”, nor his “son” have responded to my emails.

Luckily it was quite a small amount, PayPal has supported me and it looks like I will be refunded, but I would be suspicious of new members with items to sell.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sucks. Thanks for the warning, although they'll just have a new name next time.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yeah, never send money by wire etc. It will be gone forever.
Well the red flags are more in what I quoted:

1. A new member “bradonryan”

2. gave me the email address for a “Christopher Scott” who had one to sell.
He had photos of the item and appeared to know what he was selling.

That's enough to believe this is a scam.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the red flags are more in what I quoted:

1. A new member “bradonryan”

2. gave me the email address for a “Christopher Scott” who had one to sell.
He had photos of the item and appeared to know what he was selling.

That's enough to believe this is a scam.
Agreed

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I hope this warning is helpful to other members.

I recently posted a request here for a particular amplifier I wanted to buy. A new member “bradonryan” gave me the email address for a “Christopher Scott” who had one to sell. He had photos of the item and appeared to know what he was selling. I transferred the agreed price to his “son” through PayPal.

After that, neither “bradonryan” “Christopher Scott”, nor his “son” have responded to my emails.

Luckily it was quite a small amount, PayPal has supported me and it looks like I will be refunded, but I would be suspicious of new members with items to sell.
Thank for sharing your unfortunate experience with us. Hopefully your story will save others from falling victim to this same scam.

My personal advice is to Never do business or any kind, with a Member who is New or has minimal posting history. By new I mean less than 3 months and at least a hundred post count. And even then I would be very cautious. I hope PP does make you whole in the end. ;)

Just spam closed his account. But I’m sure he will be back under a new alias.

DennisT

Scams are everywhere on the internet. Here are a couple things that are a good idea to do

1. When using Paypal NEVER use friends and family. That takes away the protection Paypal offers. If the seller insists on it walk away.
2. Have the seller send a picture(s) of the item for sale. Then ask for another picture with a proof of date on it, IE newspaper, or some other proof - it could be as simple as "send me another picture with your left hand in the picture. This ensures the seller actually has the item instead of some pictures they harvested off the internet.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank for sharing your unfortunate experience with us. Hopefully your story will save others from falling victim to this same scam.

My personal advice is to Never do business or any kind, with a Member who is New or has minimal posting history. By new I mean less than 3 months and at least a hundred post count. And even then I would be very cautious. I hope PP does make you whole in the end. ;)

My profile was hacked and the hacker was conning people by “selling” items as me. Be careful and make sure that you have two factor authentication enabled to keep your established profile safe.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1. When using Paypal NEVER use friends and family. That takes away the protection Paypal offers. If the seller insists on it walk away.
Good info. Another is to not do business with Paypal sellers that insist on buyer paying the fees, this is against Paypal policies and may void any protections you may have as well.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What idiot scammer uses the same username at more than one place :facepalm:
maxresdefault.jpg
1682441037683.png

Hatto

I transferred the agreed price to his “son” through PayPal.

How is this "suspected" scam anymore?

Sorry about your experience, thanks for the warning!

Music1969

Major Contributor
2. Have the seller send a picture(s) of the item for sale. Then ask for another picture with a proof of date on it, IE newspaper, or some other proof - it could be as simple as "send me another picture with your left hand in the picture. This ensures the seller actually has the item instead of some pictures they harvested off the internet
This is better than nothing but in hifi scammers have even proven to have the item with date and username in a photo.

But they stole money from multiple people for the same item

So it is not enough.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

A forum I used to be an admin for had doppelganger detection. I am sure this forum has it, given that there were a few cases of banned members re-registering and showing up as a different alias. They were spotted pretty quickly. You do have this feature, yes?

Top Bottom