• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CarlToft

I currently use the m50x, they sound ok but not very impressive. I don't exactly know my preference in the tuning. But I like how the 7hz timeless sounds, same with Mangird tea's. I know that headphones don't sound the same as iems but i like tuning of them. I mostly listen to rap. I prefer them to have some bass. Would love to get some recommendations for headphones and amps if they need more power.
Just to be clear i am looking for over ear headphones not iems.
My max budget for both will be around $300. I live in Europe (Denmark).
If I need more information I will add it

Last edited:
OP
C

CarlToft

Questions:
  • What is "skole bass"?
  • Are you primarily looking for IEM recommendations?
Sorry autocorrect meant to write some bass. No only headphones, just trying to give some examples of what sound i like.

Last edited:

Spider

Hello fellow Dane, I probably don't got a clue what I am talking about, but I am extremely happy with my JBL CLUB ONE Bluetooth/Wired over-ear headphones they cost about 2400DKR but are good, they also got some little brothers if the price tag is too high, I had a pair of JBL before these & they cost 1600DKR & you can't hear much difference, it is the steel & leather you pay for.:)

Kevbaz

Another happy JBL user here. I have a pair of JBL Club Pro+ TWS IEMs and they are fantastic sound. The app with EQ is als really good, and they are currently discounted on most sites.
Kev

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Sorry autocorrect meant to write some bass.
Now. that that's cleared-up...

But I like how the 7hz timeless sounds,
Sorry, I don't know what that is either. ;)

The main difference between headphones is frequency response and you can tweak that with equalization. I'm not saying you shouldn't get new headphones, Just keep that in mind and listen-for frequency response differences or compare the curves.

And when comparing frequency response curves they should be from the same tester/reviewer. Test setups & methods vary.

Headphones are "tricky" to measure and preferences & opinions vary so your favorite headphone may not be someone else's favorite.

And there is very little correlation between cost & sound quality. * Your favorite headphone in the world may not be super-expensive. ...In the "audiophile community" there tends to be a STRONG preference for very expensive equipment, and an aversion to blind listening tests (and sometimes an aversion to measurements) so a higher price almost always earns a better rating, except for here at Audio Science Review. ;) )

You can sort the ASR reviews by "recommended" or cost. The lowest-cost "recommended without EQ" headphone is the AKG K371. (Around the same price as the M50). If you compare the frequency response curve to the M50, the bass is smoother (both are slightly above the target curve) and the K371 has a dip around 2kHz where the M50 has a slight peak.

* With speakers there is more correlation, mostly because it takes big woofers, big cabinets, and high power-handling to get good-strong-deep bass, and these things cost money.

P.S.
A million years ago I was thinking I wanted to upgrade my headphones. I went to the audio/video store and listened to several "better" (more expensive) headphones. After listening I decided I liked what I already had. (Eventually they died, were no longer made, and I had to replace them with something else.)

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
Do you want closed-back headphones like your ATH-M50x? I have the DT 770 Pro (250 ohm, but the others are good options too). With EQ, I find it a very nice headphone that's well within your budget. EQ makes a big improvement for them. If you don't use EQ with your ATH-M50x, maybe try that first and consider it an upgrade :)

As mentioned above, the AKG 371 is recommended and measured on this site.

How a headphone fits your head is personal preference, so really you need to try them out.

Spider

Another happy JBL user here. I have a pair of JBL Club Pro+ TWS IEMs and they are fantastic sound. The app with EQ is als really good, and they are currently discounted on most sites.
Kev
Hi @Kevbaz what did JBL CLUB PRO set you back, I don't believe I have seen them on the Danish shelves how good are they compared to club one?
Please elaborate.:)

Kevbaz

I think they were about £90 on Amazon UK, I’ve not got any other JBLs to compare to but I’m very pleased with the Club Pro and the EQ means you can adjust the sound to preference.
Kev

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
K371, funny enough I never tried the M50 but I've had so many closed backs and these are my new daily drivers (along with the SRH840)

I had the Argons on my wishlist but maybe I should try them and just get it over with.

Top Bottom