• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WANTED: Topping Multichannel DAC (list your wants)

Honken

There are quite a few USB interfaces with 8 or more output channels out there. You are in Europe, take a look at Thomanns USB interface selection. You'll find the aforementioned MOTU there for example.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought you meant many options for multi-channel inputs for a desktop DAC.
There are a ton of them. Motu Ultralite, 828es, Okto, exaSound and many many more depending on ones needs.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
  • Different tiers to satisfy different customers need for channels, somebody running a 5.1 system wont need 16channels. And the one running an Atmos setup won't suffice with only 5.1.
  • HDMI inputs, not to only communicate with TV or PC, but some means to receive the Blu-Ray player LPCM feed and then being able to apply DSP to the channels (a la "nanoAVR" style, now R.I.P)
  • Processor with enough brain power to host FIR filters with high number of taps (could some cheap ARM chips be used for this, or in order to process this filters special architecture for audio is needed like FPGA ?)
  • Optional 3D Audio Codec licence, DTS.X or Dolby ATMOS, you pay for the feature if you need it. Essentially whis would be like an AV/Processor only, most users already have their own amps.
  • Nice ol' good SINAD like we are used to from Topping ;) to satisfy the boss

Honken

I feel like you are moving the goalposts with each post, but as an example there are quite a few releases listed here that can be played on a USB MCH DAC. There are other sources as well.

I don't care about MCH recordings personally, but I wouldn't want to ever give up being able to adress every channel individually, and to do so without any compromises. MiniDSP and propietary systems like GLM seem very clumsy and restricting in comparison.

I honestly don't think there's really a lack of solutions for >2ch playback from PCs, but there aren't many devices that have been tested at places like this. So, if you want to know what you're getting, your selection is limited. I also think that this is the reason why threads like this thread continue to pop up.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Keep it simple - a D10b variant with 8 outputs (D108b or D10b-8 perhaps?) and overall volume control via USB that works reliably with linux. No need for the coax or toslink outputs.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
let me rephrase one more time, what sort of CONTENT that a USB multi-channel DAC can play that a Stereo USB DAC cannot.
You're missing the point of a multichannel dac for the purpose I posted above in post 22. It's not about the content, it's still 2 channel playback.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
3 channels XLR
Remote, remote, remote
LCD or OLED screen that can be toggled off (Why in tarnation do some interfaces not have options to turn off the display, it can't be that hard...)
Near d90se level sinad (so top tier).
Maybe ability to output 4v+?

<$1500. Call it D95se or something.

Last edited:

Sieniek

Topping may launch their 8 channels within three months.
Is there any topic where I can find some information about it ?

I was trying to get Motu Ultralite MK5 but it is unavailable for months.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
List your wants... an exponential reduction in the total amount of entropy... would seem to address all things from audio... to retaining the hearing ability to appreciate the nuances of our incredible gear... to... well... you know.:facepalm:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I want 16 channel DACS with USB input. And I want both Windows, and Mac boxes to render 16 channel LPCM of ATMOS/DTS-X and Auro 3D from streaming video services to make available to those DACS. So no further need for crappy AV processors/receivers. Just a PC, DAC, Amps, and speakers to play even the object based codecs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On another forum @manisandher and I were going back and fourth discussing MCH dacs. That led me to start this thread since @JohnYang1997 is active here. Perhaps he would take some of the feedback into consideration. :)

• 8 fully balanced channels (regular size XLR connectors)
  • Global volume control with remote
  • Built in streamer for Roon would be ideal
  • Ethernet Input
  • Optical Input
  • USB Input
  • Roon Ready
  • Built in LPS or ability to run an external LPS instead of the SMPS that might be built in? (@manisandher request)
  • ~ $1500 or less ;)
What do you want? Add it to the list and lets see where it goes!
What will be the source and use scenario?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like you are moving the goalposts with each post, but as an example there are quite a few releases listed here that can be played on a USB MCH DAC. There are other sources as well.
The link you gave seems to be all stereo recordings. Why multichannel DAC then? What am I missing?

dadregga

Don't want or need optical. Don't need or want DSP - if it's a USB DAC I can do all that via the minipc that feeds it much more flexibly and robustly anyway.

HDMI input with Dolby/DTS decoding would be nice, but for music I don't need that, for most movies I'm going thru Plex anyway, and it would add tons to the cost.

Top Bottom