• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WANTED: Topping Multichannel DAC (list your wants)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want or need optical. Don't need or want DSP - if it's a USB DAC I can do all that via the minipc that feeds it much more flexibly and robustly anyway.

HDMI input with Dolby/DTS decoding would be nice, but for music I don't need that, for most movies I'm going thru Plex anyway, and it would add tons to the cost.
So you want a stereo DAC?

Sieniek

Actually I want 16 channel DACS with USB input. And I want both Windows, and Mac boxes to render 16 channel LPCM of ATMOS/DTS-X and Auro 3D from streaming video services to make available to those DACS. So no further need for crappy AV processors/receivers. Just a PC, DAC, Amps, and speakers to play even the object based codecs.
That would be a dream come true for me as well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When using digital crossover i need more than two channels for stereo.
Are there any digital crossovers on the market that doesn’t integrate DACs? How do they output the separated digital channels?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When using digital crossover i need more than two channels for stereo.
DePhonica is 2 x 8, has phase correction, filter taps, individually selectable slopes, different crossover types, an Asio sink driver for input, easy set up, runs on both Windows and Macs, and it's FREE! :D

dadregga

So you want a stereo DAC?

No - I want a multichannel DAC. That's what we're talking about here. I have several hundred 4.0/5.0/5.1 albums in both DSF and FLAC format.

I want to play those back without downmixing as a first priority. I would like a pure USB DAC (I have a mini PC running as a Roon bridge feeding a cheapie, old Denon MCH via HDMI out) with decent specs, a reasonable price range (e.g. without a lot of bells and whistles), a modern OTS DAC chip, that is attainable, which I can build some standalone amps around.

Okto Dac8 Pro is awesome - but it would be good to have one or two more options like that - though given everyone has the same supply chain constraints it might not actually increase overall availability that much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom