• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Amplifier - Terrible Quality Build and Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The manufacturer offered to return your money, and you pay return shipping? That seems to be about a midway offer. I think some sellers hit the user for return shipping and/or a restocking fee.
For a product with missing screws, yes, among many other issues. If I ever shipped a product with such embarrassingly bad quality, I would bend over backwards to make it right (e.g. ship out a new perfect replacement immediately), to prove that this isn't the norm.

Maybe not everyone agrees, but this is my opinion on how good customer service would have handled such a case. (To be clear, I hope nobody is mistaking my review here for me wanting to get something out of VTV at this point: I consider this all to be case closed, and am not looking for anything from VTV or anyone else — all these points are solely my review of VTV, for the benefit of ASR readers.)

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a product with missing screws, yes, among many other issues. If I ever shipped a product with such embarrassingly bad quality, I would bend over backwards to make it right, to prove that this isn't the norm.
If this were my product I would pay you to keep quiet.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
My guess is after this thread VTV might pay a bit more attention to detail and QC?
I suspect VTV has lost a few potential sales here.
Absolutely no excuse for this kind of shite at any price, much less $900 per. Even if you like how they perform, I would be incredibly uncomfortable with overall reliability...not to mention future support if you do have problems.

GeorgeWalk is correct, a simple jig would not only take care of the problem, but also make the build more efficient time wise. I use them all the time.

I live in rural South Eastern US. Our stop signs, better known as shotgun targets for inebriated good ole boys, look better than the bottom of the VTV.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Shonky is the word that comes to mind. They look like somthing I bodge hacked together. Would definitely take March up on the offer of re-engineering them.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Shonky is the word that comes to mind. They look like somthing I bodge hacked together. Would definitely take March up on the offer of re-engineering them.
I agree. If they’re amenable, I’d take advantage of the offer. It’s good business for them, and, if affordable...a great solution for you... a win win. If you do take them up on it, let us know...costs etc....inquiring minds want to know... ; )

Nebbermind

If you look carefully, there are drilled holes with miss-positions and re-drills too close to other holes. Also, the hole patterns aren't the same on both amps. Just sloppy. It's not too hard to create a drill jig for each product or version.
If they are sharing the same chassis with other amp modules, then they should mount the boards on a secondary acrylic or alu plate n then mount the plate onto the chassis.
Otherwise, the chassis looks pretty good and properly machined and labelled, not like a hobbyist box from china

Last edited:

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
To some extent I think the development of nearly plug-n-play high-performance amplifier modules and power supplies is a fantastic one.

It does however run the risk of running afoul of, "Be careful making something any idiot can use because they just might."

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To some extent I think the development of nearly plug-n-play high-performance amplifier modules and power supplies is a fantastic one.

It does however run the risk of running afoul of, "Be careful making something any idiot can use because they just might."
There may be a way to structure sales and branding to achieve the best of both worlds: Purifi (and Hypex too if they wanted) could still sell modules to absolutely anyone who wants them (including online sales to individuals anywhere in the world) -- but on top of that, run a brand certification program that creates a brand identity that is only permitted to be associated with products of vetted quality.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Otherwise, the chassis looks pretty good and properly machined and labelled, not like a hobbyist box from china
Speak for yourself. I'll take the hobbyist box from China.
Hmmm, you guys do not seem to be aware that VTV indeed use hobbyist boxes from China :)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they are sharing the same chassis with other amp modules, then they should mount the boards on a secondary acrylic or alu plate n then mount the plate onto the chassis.

They are Ghent boxes from China. Nothing wrong with Ghent, they make a good product for the price.

Feargal

The thing with the holes in baseplates though, I can see the idea that it'd be a common part for all his amps with holes for every combination. But without jigs etc. isn't it more effort to make them like that? Apart from visually looking horrible it doesn't seem to make much sense.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets worse...

Some more observations as I am disassembling these (which I’ll be paying March Audio to properly rebuild):

Absolutely no thermal compound of any kind was used between the Hypex module heat sinks and the case[1]:

C8F91074-C06A-42FF-9218-FF4466287A08.jpeg

50A5C08A-B3B4-4168-A28C-48E39A29E536.jpeg

Also note the XLR pin 1 and ground situation:

AF9C00F5-E5C1-4BB7-89C1-0CE3E36F8692.jpeg

Can confirm via multimeter that the XLR pin 1 is grounded to the bottom of the case via the green wire joining with the AC ground to the case bottom. However the XLR pin 1 is not grounded directly to the front of the case.

Also, as I mentioned, the AC power connector was extremely loose. The AC power connector was not secured to the case in any reliable way. It was so loose, in fact, that gently pushing on it from the inside unseated it and popped it out completely

A438AEB4-F4A4-460C-AC3C-C93AD313F83F.jpeg

Fortunately, the valuable part (Hypex modules) appear to have survived unscathed:

103A0385-9328-4A58-BDFC-AB87DEF3BDD7.jpeg

[1] This evening, I played music fairly loudly for several hours with my March Audio P451’s powering my Salon2’s full range (no help from the subwoofers), and was pleasantly surprised to notice the March Audio amps were virtually cold to the touch throughout.

In contrast, when I first received the VTVs, I plugged them in and turned them on with no signal in or out, just to test that they don’t explode. After a few hours, I noticed they were uncomfortably hot to the touch.

This makes a lot of sense now, given the findings above.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
That fraying ground shield just waiting to short out your input. Is a piece of heatshrink to much to ask. Unsecured mains socket is plain dangerous. And no heat compound , penny pinching gone mad.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@echopraxia did you get a slight buzz out of your speakers with the NC1200 amp? Or does it sound just as clean as the March amp?
Sorry forgot to respond to this. I haven’t listened to them much due to concerns with their safety, which seems is not an unwarranted worry when you look at the fraying XLR pin 1 ground wire, the AC power connector that pops right out when you pull on it moderately firmly, poor heat sink mounting, etc.

I did listen to them on some of my less expensive speakers, after very cautiously ensuring my entire setup was running off the same line ground and with minimal potential for any ground loops or other weirdness. So in this case, I did not detect any buzz. They sounded good and delivered plenty of power thanks to the fantastic Hypex modules. Still, as seen above, it’s hard not to see them as anything but a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:

nck045

VTV said:
Unfortunately I drill those myself (I am obviously not a metal smith haha) and there are holes for different combinations. I apologize but unfortunately because of that there can be some underside rash.

There is nothing 'unfortunate' about this, rather it is all about craftsmanship, attention to detail and quality assurance. Last week I was looking to buy a NC122MP based amplifier and VTV was included as one of my options. 'Fortunately' I went with the Audiophonics version in the end, which has solid build and casework at a fair price point. I would be extremely unhappy if my $400 amp arrived looking like a swiss cheese on the underside (and with loose parts), let alone a $1800 one. And with this kind of sloppy work, the possibility of having safety implications is just downright unacceptable.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
When all your doing is assembling amp modules and putting them in a case you better make sure the case is immaculate and you have assembled it better than any DIY person could ever manage!

Failure to do this is unforgivable and one has to wonder what kind of business do you have assembling amps. What's the point just let someone who can do it properly do it and go find another way to make a living.

Jesus this isn't even mediocre!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Unbelievable. Looks like a third grader adapted the case with a cordless drill and some dull bits. My take...looks like alcohol and constructing amplifiers doesn’t mix.
I have never seen something so poorly executed. I can’t imagine how VTV survives as a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom