• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Amplifier - Terrible Quality Build and Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And somewhere in the world a bike shed is going unpainted because all the gnashing of teeth over what color to paint it is being spent here instead working out the ontological origins of this thread.

Should have bought a March Audio bike shed instead! They come pre-painted in any colour (as long as it's black) ;)

1597190153233.png

Dmitri

Forum Donor
All good echopraxia. I’m all in for you when it comes to the problem, and I appreciated the gif. That is pitiful. I was more trying to show you why others might feel like the points been made, and that the repetition just keeps remaking it...In my mind, once a points been made, no reason to keep repeating it. Ironic, given that’s exactly what I’m probably doing right now... ; )

I assure you I appreciate the info you’ve provided. If VTV was ever on my list, it’s off now.
I hope everything works out for you in the end. Good Luck!
And yeah...I know you don’t want it to be the focus of this thread, but perhaps another thread when March returns your amps? ; )

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Aw shucks. Now I can go paint the damned bike shed. Metallic Candy Apple Red.
Ooooohhhh Yeeeeaaahhhh.....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1597192882538.png

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of these March/VTV/Nord/Apollon type amplifiers built with off the shelf modules with/without custom buffers have any safety certification? This seems to be the essence of the problem with these products. I mean we've scrutinized the build quality of these products, but all that establishes is that some people on the internet consider the products to be safe.

I am all for the commoditization of hifi amplification; light, cheap and extremely high performance outweigh their issues with repairability, for me at least.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of these March/VTV/Nord/Apollon type amplifiers built with off the shelf modules with/without custom buffers have any safety certification? This seems to be the essence of the problem with these products. I mean we've scrutinized the build quality of these products, but all that establishes is that some people on the internet consider the products to be safe.

I am all for the commoditization of hifi amplification; light, cheap and extremely high performance outweigh their issues with repairability, for me at least.
I posted the North American safety certifications in post #82. Without those they are not safety certified for the USA or Canada. CSA is the standard in Canada but UL is OK in Canada too.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a consumer product. It's basically a kit build, done by a likely back-yard operation. There's no electrical compliance markings, it's in an off-the-shelf case and contains little actual original content. It's a join-the-dots amplifier.

This is how it's done:
View attachment 77654

View attachment 77655

View attachment 77656

At least March makes a few PCBs and contructs his amplifiers carefully in a very nice case. Out of all the basic, no-frills Hypex/Purifi implementations, his must be one of the better ones. But he is not competing against NAD, he's found a niche and good luck to him.

Thanks a**hole, you just cost me $1,550 purchasing a lightly used M22v2. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
you just cost me $1,550 purchasing a lightly used M22v2.

That's a real bargain. I haven't seen the v2 in the flesh. Maybe make a new thread for it when it arrives with your impressions. Take the lid off and show us the guts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That NAD M22V2 has, "Pimp my ride" written all over it.

I reckon it's already pimped in a subtle way. It's a sleeper. A lovely looking, classy limo with a blown V8 under the hood.

Sitting in a designer city apartment overlooking the river with minimalist aspirations and cute little bookshelf speakers, just waiting for someone to slip some AC/DC on after a few drinks and blow them apart before the wife gets home from her late afternoon marketing meeting.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I reckon it's already pimped in a subtle way. It's a sleeper. A lovely looking, classy limo with a blown V8 under the hood.

Sitting in a designer city apartment overlooking the river with minimalist aspirations and cute little bookshelf speakers, just waiting for someone to slip some AC/DC on after a few drinks and blow them apart before the wife gets home from her late afternoon marketing meeting.
I'm seeing shredded ripped spiders, torn surrounds and smoking voice coils hanging out with wires unwound. hehe :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"I don't know what happened. It wasn't even that loud- honest"
Just crank the volume to the maX, disengage the subsonic filter and drop a needle onto a record. Voila! I accidentally did that to a set of Klipsch Cornwall in the 80's. They survived but I blew the store patrons away with the sound.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Just crank the volume to the maX, disengage the subsonic filter and drop a needle onto a record. Voila! I accidentally did that to a set of Klipsch Cornwall in the 80's. They survived but I blew the store patrons away with the sound.

Oh yeah...Years ago ( many) I used to have Genesis 2’s and lots of warped records.
Those green foam surrounds on the woofers were cool, but they only lasted so long....

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'de put a vented clear plexiglass cover on that NAD M22V2 and show it off like a gaming pooder.

Hmm, just built a gaming computer with no LEDs for my 16 year old son (he shares my dislike of garish). That said, a 2020 lava lamp amp sounds like a neat idea.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

“Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it
Ah, you reach down, between my legs and ease the seat back“

No wimpy bookshelves here, the Revel 208s are my downsizing. Ironically, the M22 is also less power than my existing amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom