• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Amplifier - Terrible Quality Build and Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten"

A lesson learned.
True, though admittedly this was the lowest of the low bars for QC. Still, message has been received. For the OP, I’m happy for his ultimate solution, and kudos to March Audio for providing a rebuild service.
I think enough has been said. Time to look forward, instead of back... ; )

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, why people think they have some duty to make a noise about everything they think is injustice these days is beyond me. It's a sad idictment of the lack of accepting personal responsibility and learning from it. The need to share their feelings somehow helps others. Hint: it doesn't, it only makes people look like whingers.
I'm not sure if you're not seeing my replies, or just ignoring them. I think I've sufficiently explained enough times now how I'm taking personal responsibility on this matter. This review is for the benefit of others who would not otherwise have the information it contains. You have no grounds to say it is unhelpful, given the number of people who have posted and otherwise indicated genuine thanks to me for being transparent and posting this information.

Responsibility for the outcome of our actions goes both ways, you know: When VTV ships a product of this quality, they are responsible for this. Thus, they face the possibility that the quality (or lack thereof) of the products they ship to customers will become a matter of public knowledge.

Your position is still very bizarre. Are you arguing against transparency? Are you arguing that honest reviews should not exist? You seem far more upset about this than seems explainable by just the content of this thread.

Maybe you have some personal vendetta against some competitors mentioned here? I honestly have no idea. But whatever it is, the content of your posts makes it quite clear that you are the one expressing and reacting with an abundance of emotion :)

Last edited:
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, though admittedly this was the lowest of the low bars for QC. Still, message has been received. For the OP, I’m happy for his ultimate solution, and kudos to March Audio for providing a rebuild service.
I think enough has been said. Time to look forward, instead of back... ; )
Agreed, and to be clear (if somewhat repetitive): This thread was (and still is) meant to be solely for the forward-looking benefit of those in the audiophile community who might be researching power amplifier product options, starved for more data about products out there. Such is the purpose of any review, so I am surprised that a certain very small minority here (not you Dmitri, to be clear) are inexplicably emotionally triggered and making a lot of noise, apparently deeply upset by the very existence of this review as an honest and transparent report of the facts.

It takes extra effort from my day to post this thread, and reply to comments here. I don't like how people are focusing so much on the fact that March Audio will be helping me out here. That is a personal detail of my path forward, and was never meant to be the focus of this thread, so I kindly ask that we remove that topic from this thread and fork that discussion elsewhere, for those who really wish to attack me (for some reason?) for my choice in amp builder going forward.

Many people have commented here, PM'ed me, or indicated in other ways that the transparency and information I have provided here has been specifically useful to them. Of course, I can't please everyone (as you can see above). But no matter how much some people may wish for this thread to disappear and for consumers to be left in the dark on the truthful state of VTV amplifier's build quality -- that doesn't change the fact that this information is, as a matter of fact, very useful and helpful to many consumers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your position is still very bizarre. Are you arguing against transparency? Are you arguing that honest reviews should not exist? You seem far more upset about this than seems explainable by just the content of this thread.

Maybe you have some personal vendetta against some competitors mentioned here? I honestly have no idea. But whatever it is, the content of your posts makes it quite clear that you are the one

My position is an unbiased (no cock in this fight) observer who spent decades selling and repairing HiFi gear of all types, brands and pedigree. I'm also a huge collector and restorer with a collection bordering on the obscene. In short, I know cheap, poorly made gear when I see it.

He should have simply refunded your money, postage included and sent you on your way. That was VTV's mistake, not paying your postage. Your mistake is making an absolute mountain out of a kit-build molehill. It only makes VTV look better if you ask me.

Transparency (as you call it) means clear, unbiased and factual. No emotion, opinions, or hurt feelings. I see a lot of that. A "transparent" review, this is not. Not remotely.

Here's a link I posted the other day. It seems apt to post it again:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like how people are focusing so much on the fact that March Audio will be helping me out here. That is a personal detail of my path forward, and was never meant to be the focus of this thread, so I kindly ask that we remove that topic from this thread and fork that discussion elsewhere, for those who really wish to attack me (for some reason?) for my choice in amp builder going forward.
I think it's part of the process and OK to leave the commentary from @March Audio here in this thread.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's part of the process and OK to leave the commentary from @March Audio here in this thread.
I agree, except it appears some people (see above) are quite triggered by this, and take this as bait to attack me personally for my decisions beyond the scope of this review. IMO, nothing March Audio has posted on this thread is out of place or off-topic; however, what e.g. restorer-john is doing above is, and it's rude, inappropriate, off-topic, and unwelcomely derailing this thread (whether intentionally or not, I don't know).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, except it appears some people (see above) are quite triggered by this, and take this as bait to attack me personally for my decisions beyond the scope of this review. Nothing March Audio has said so far is out of place or off-topic IMO; however, what e.g. restorer-john is doing above is, and it's inappropriate, off-topic, and unwelcomely derailing this thread (whether intentionally or not, I don't know).
@restorer-john is from a different country/society where things are slightly different than the USA and even Canada. I just take it with a grain of salt and accept we have differences not only geographically but as a society. It's the spice of life. :D Some say the raison d'être.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@restorer-john is from a different country/society where things are slightly different than the USA and even Canada. I just take it with a grain of salt and accept we have differences not only geographically but as a society. It's the spice of life. :D Some say the raison d'être.
Personally, I have no problem with directness, as you may or may not have noticed (and I deal with much worse regularly) :). Rather, I (and I think most readers) would simply prefer that the thread return to the topic for which it was/is intended. (And I'm not aiming this at you to be clear; your comments have been constructive and are appreciated).

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Agreed, and to be clear (if somewhat repetitive): This thread was (and still is) meant to be solely for the forward-looking benefit of those in the audiophile community who might be researching power amplifier product options, starved for more data about products out there. Such is the purpose of any review, so I am surprised that a certain very small minority here (not you Dmitri, to be clear) are inexplicably emotionally triggered and making a lot of noise, apparently deeply upset by the very existence of this review as an honest and transparent report of the facts.

It takes extra effort from my day to post this thread, and reply to comments here. I don't like how people are focusing so much on the fact that March Audio will be helping me out here. That is a personal detail of my path forward, and was never meant to be the focus of this thread, so I kindly ask that we remove that topic from this thread and fork that discussion elsewhere, for those who really wish to attack me (for some reason?) for my choice in amp builder going forward.

Many people have commented here, PM'ed me, or indicated in other ways that the transparency and information I have provided here has been specifically useful to them. Of course, I can't please everyone (as you can see above). But no matter how much some people may wish for this thread to disappear and for consumers to be left in the dark on the truthful state of VTV amplifier's build quality -- that doesn't change the fact that this information is, as a matter of fact, very useful and helpful to many consumers.

No problem with that..but what more do you have to add that hasn’t already been said? VTV sucks, we get that. Even if you don't mean it to be, now it just feels like a vendetta.I support your bringing this issue to the attention of the forum, but now its just feels like it’s time to move on. The poor horse has been dead for quite awhile. Recognize this message is coming to you from the guy that said alcohol and amplifier construction don’t mix. Your beef was real.
And I agree with this, From the negative came a positive. That’s really wonderful and a follow up would be most interesting!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure why echopraxia is being portrayed as some disgruntled or vindictive customer. He shared his experience with his purchase and quality (or rather lack thereof) of the assembly. I am unclear when responding to comments by others somehow made him a bad person. He was clear that VTV offered a refund but he chose to keep the amps. When I posted the photos of my VTV NC252MP, multiple people chimed in about the incorrect assembly. Like echopraxia, I chose to keep my amp and just fix it (in fairness, mine did not have the custom extra holes, piss poor grounding for the XLRs, or poor wiring layout). Echopraxia's build quality seems to be consistent, as another poster here started a thread with his VTV NC1200 amps, which have the same poor and incorrect wiring.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have insisted they paid the return shipping, as this would not be my fault at all, get a refund and buy somewhere else.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am not sure why echopraxia is being portrayed as some disgruntled or vindictive customer. He shared his experience with his purchase and quality (or rather lack thereof) of the assembly.

Perhaps if he wasn't pretending this thread was a review in the interests of transparency, when it is clearly not remotely anything of the sort. It's more like an attempted keelhauling of VTV for the entertainment of the assembled throng.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I would have insisted they paid the return shipping, as this would not be my fault at all, get a refund and but somewhere else.

Exactly.

VTV offers 2 years warranty according to their website. I'm sure if he (VTV) is still in business in 2 years, the issues will have been sorted out.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps if he wasn't pretending this thread was a review in the interests of transparency, when it is clearly not remotely anything of the sort. It's more like an attempted keelhauling of VTV for the entertainment of the assembled throng.
Honestly, at this point, your posts like this are borderline harassment. Comments like this are not appropriate here. Please stop. Thank you.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if you don't mean it to be, now it just feels like a vendetta.
I appreciate your feedback, but honestly what more can I say to clarify (other than to reassure you that this is not the case)? I have explained my motivations here more than a few times now. In fact, what some people are criticising me for -- not returning the amps -- should if anything underscore the lack of bias in my intentions here: I have no 'dog in this fight', so to speak. My story is/was done before I even started this thread. This should leave this thread to focus fully on the benefit of ASR readers researching amps (or so I hope/hoped), which is the only reason I took the time to write it up in the first place.

I do not think my depiction of the loose power connector was excessive, considering that it was becoming clear that not all readers here fully grasped just how extremely loose the power socket was. Rather than write long posts about it, I figured I'd post the most concise and effective way possible (a picture is worth a thousand words, and a GIF is worth a million :) )

That said, I am open to constructive feedback and am happy to edit posts accordingly on points raised that we can agree on. However I would like to ask that those of you with such concerns send them to me via PM so as not to derail this thread.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I welcome feedback from members on construction quality of audio gear they buy. I do that in my reviews so see no issues for members to do same.

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
And somewhere in the world a bike shed is going unpainted because all the gnashing of teeth over what color to paint it is being spent here instead working out the ontological origins of this thread.

:)

Chobes11

I am not sure why echopraxia is being portrayed as some disgruntled or vindictive customer. He shared his experience with his purchase and quality (or rather lack thereof) of the assembly. I am unclear when responding to comments by others somehow made him a bad person. He was clear that VTV offered a refund but he chose to keep the amps. When I posted the photos of my VTV NC252MP, multiple people chimed in about the incorrect assembly. Like echopraxia, I chose to keep my amp and just fix it (in fairness, mine did not have the custom extra holes, piss poor grounding for the XLRs, or poor wiring layout). Echopraxia's build quality seems to be consistent, as another poster here started a thread with his VTV NC1200 amps, which have the same poor and incorrect wiring.
My underside is clean with no hand drilled holes, loose or incorrect screws, or missing screws and my AC plug is tight. Not defending or taking sides but it looks like the OP got a worse assembly. I don’t mind the extra holes on the underside (it probably helps with airflow haha) but I’m sure it helps keep costs down my having a ‘master’ base plate for several models. Do I wish the soldering and assembly was cleaner? Yes but at half the cost of other I understand now. I still have time to return if I decide. My unit does get fairly hot, idk if this is normal or a sign that something is wrong...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom