• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage and modern Vu-Meters, Oscilloscope, Spectrographs, etc.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

This was inspired by the SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review. I just ordered this SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review, a few minutes ago. Of course, it will serve absolutely no audio purpose. I hope it looks as cool doing nothing like those visualization componets of yesteryear.

I already know. it doesn't hold a candle to that :
I remember begging my father, back around 1975, to get one of these:
1682098492915.png

It did nothing, audio, but look incredible... displaying parts of your audio signal.
That was waaaay beyond pedestrian Vu-Meter. Dad decided that the sonics benefits were nil and wonfered about the purpose of this "oscilloscope", in an audio system. I lament this decision to this day :D ...

What else did strike your fancies, what are you using today?

Peace.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first Oscilloscope, the Cossor 1049.
100kHz bandwidth, but had a really useful feature not present in modern 'scopes, being a calibrated DC offset control that could remove and measure the DC on valve anode, and display the AC waveform.

Used it for years whilst at school. Pictures from the 'web. Mine looked exactly like the pic on the left.

1049.jpg
cossor-1049-mk-iv-s.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is some of the highlights of gear that I owned for repair and calibration. I owned more gear than is shown here but can't find images of the stuff.
A vintage Tektronix Oscilloscope that worked perfectly and had been calibrated. It is an all tube scope. It attracted a lot of attention because it was in pristine condition and had a wonderful trace.
zzzz Tek 516 oblique - left - open-L.jpg

zzzzz Tek 516 oblique - right - open-L.jpg

zzzzz Tek 516 overall-L.jpg

zzzzz Tek_516_bottom_front2.jpg

A Kenwood oscilloscope that prompted me to buy a Tektronix 7603 lab scope because the Kenwood trace looked horrible/blurry.
zzzzz kenwood_oscilloscope_cc5130_40_1600761234_e203703c_progressive.jpg

Fluke 8010A bench multimeter.
zzzzzzzz 1200px-Fluke_8010a.jpg

Tektronix 7603 Oscilloscope. With 250MHz vertical amps and a dual time base. A wonderful analogue oscilloscope.
zzzzzzzzzz 7603-4trace.jpg

I used this Kenwood multimeter for metering current when testing amps to predict thermal runaway. I also had a Beckman Industrial handheld multimeter that had a rare 20A DC range for current metering.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 004.jpg

This is a Power Designs current tripping power supply.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 33961.jpg

A Hewlett Packard analogue storage oscilloscope with differential/balanced input. I owned two of this oscilloscope. I used it for metering when I was torture testing amps on loads and for aligning tape head azimuths with the analogue storage function engaged.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz s-l1600.jpg

The CRT glows a green color when the analogue storage is engaged. It's really beautiful to operate this way.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oscilloscope_1201b_1442496747_32864d99.jpg

A Hewlett Packard DC power supply with 30VDC and 50 Amps current limiting with the very rare 120VAC mains power option. The DC output is at the rear panel because it is high current output and banana jacks are not suitable/can't handle the 50A current for extended periods of time.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 13266_5745_1.png

A Tektronix 465 Oscilloscope. A nice oscilloscope although it just doesn't have the accuracy in the trace as the Tektronix 7603 has.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Screenshot 2023-04-22 132106.png

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz s-l1600.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz s-l1600.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 54
  • zzzzzzzzzz 7603-4trace.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzz 7603-4trace.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 53
  • zzzzzzzzz s-l1600.jpg
    zzzzzzzzz s-l1600.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 40

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

robwpdx

Tektronix volunteers maintain a museum: https://vintagetek.org/. HP would probably have one.

I always liked the very large 3M 2 track machine meters. It was very satisfying to see meters on the console and all the tape machines moving.

vinUnique3Ma.jpeg

Anton S

I still run my old Crown OC-150 speaker/amp switcher in my system to monitor output power. Since the K2 below it in the photo below is capable of 800 W/Chan into 4 ohms and 500 W/Chan into 8 ohms, which is more than enough power to melt the voice coils most speakers and I like my music fairly loud, I feel the need to keep an eye on just how much of that I'm sending out to my main L/R speakers.

OC-150%20in%20Rack%20%20220417.jpg

The meters on the OC-150 can be switched between VU and peak hold with adjustable fallback.

I also have an old Kenwood KC-6060 in storage somewhere.

Kenwood%20KC-6060%20Audio%20Scope.jpg

I had the audio scope in my rack for many years, but retired it after I picked up a Tektronix TDS2000 O-scope, which has more capabilities, a few years ago.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Other people here must have done this as well: as a kid, must have been in the early 70s, I inherited our first b&w TV, and converted it to display audio waveforms.
It could be used for signal tracing. Unfortunately, no pictures. I don't think I had a camera yet. (Plus, one wouldn't just take pictures willy-nilly back then.) If I remember correctly, you put the vertical coil feed on the horizontal coil, and the audio signal (the input and headphone amplifiers of a tape machine provide suitable amplification even for small signals) on the vertical coil. Don't kill the input amp! (I think using a 100k resistor as a probe helps to avoid the worst.) Also, don't kill yourself.

I also just received my Evor04-slim. What an amazing gizmo! (Never mind that there's probably an RPi 'hat' that does the same thing, with just a bit (yeah, right...) of programming on your end.) It's nice to see that there has been progress in audio since the 70s!

Last edited:

robwpdx

https://www.dorrough.com/products.html meters have been popular in the recording industry. They are not inexpensive. Now they are plugins to your digital audio workstation.

Dorrough_12_C_Dual_Analog_Loudness_Meters_1233030772_464028.jpg

These comparator-based meters with light displays have no inherent mechanical inertia. So the time constants can be arbitrary in an analog integration network or in software. In the analog world, British meters used different time constants than the US. As discussed in the other threads, the intent was to manage overload distortion in analog gain stages and tape. With digital we are concerned about staying below the hard full scale limit of the analog to digital converter.

There are several interviews on the Audio Engineering Society YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/@AesOrgPage with Mr Dorrough.

The ASR community may be interested in this video on the history of VU meters. It was put together by Dorrough but never updated from Adobe Flash. So someone edited it down and reposted it.

From memory, Harrison recording consoles were an early implementation of linear VU meters on the bridge. Mr Harrison came from King Records. https://harrisonconsoles.com/histor...facturing,sound, and live sound reinforcement.

Last edited:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want a cool display & use a windows PC, install Winamp, and enable the Milkdrop visualizer plugin. There is also a Line In feature allowing you to feed in a (mono) signal to drive the display.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My DYI DIY 12-VU-Meter Array using IEC 60268-17 fully compatible large glass-face Nishizawa R-65 (W111 mm x H77 mm: glass-face W100 mm x H40 mm); ref. here on my project thread.
WS003747 (1).JPG

WS003746.JPG

You would please find dancing videos of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array on my project thread;
_____Part-1: with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This might interest the readers of this thread

Top Bottom