• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Videos vs. Articles

Do you prefer videos or articles?

• I dislike articles and like videos more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yasuo

So far, 20 real votes. 50% like videos. 50% dislike videos. 100% like articles.

I think it's interesting. I thought more people would like videos than articles, even though I don't. I wonder how much of an outside-the-forum audience Amir will capture with videos.

Don't you need an account on this forum in order to vote? Hence there could be more people who like videos :) and the YouTube channel already has nearly 3K subscribers.

Also you must consider the ones who will stumble upon the videos on YouTube.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like videos. They are cool.

I prefer the written form when I am:
a) not in the mood to hear a person talk / sound is inconvenient
b) need to look up the data quickly

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So no, it is essential that we do videos. It is not even a close case of whether we should or should not. I can already see the effect of how fast and how much more people are learning from videos than text.

I didn't mean to put you on the spot or in a position to defend your position. I was curious, and I find the results surprising. I think younger people also prefer videos. An hour or two of video per night is a lot to my eyes unless you're including TV shows and movies. I'd go nuts watching youtube for that long, though every once in a while I like watching hot ladies laugh on talk shows.

mansr

Major Contributor
Text is better since I can read it while on a boring conference call.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the both the articles and the videos. I think all the videos to date have added something extra to the article text. This has mainly been in respect to the measurements, where Amir has taken the time to explain how the measurements are made and their relevance to the device. Perhaps this information is extraneous for the EE's on the forum, but for those of us with other day jobs, I think it's a welcome addition (at least in the short term).

I do have one small concern with the videos. Amir does make the odd *ahem* mistake when posting articles, these errors are usually hlighted by early readers at which point Amir gracefully acknowledges the error and amends the article. It occurs to me that this feedback and correction loop would be more difficult to implement with video.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I must admit, I am not a fan of videos.
I agree with that, I would rather read the article than bother with the video. That said, I think the videos could reach a new userbase and bring people to the site, and it could generate some revenue for amir with the ads.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

The Muffin Man is seated at the table
In the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen . . .

Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon
He gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants
And, brushing his scapular aside,
Proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt . . .
He turns to us and speaks:

"Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one,
Care LESS for them!"
Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing-anointment utensil,
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosetta
Near . . .
(Let's try that again . . . )

He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosetta
Near the summit of a dense-but-radiant muffin of his own design

Later he says:
"Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,
While I myself say there is naught, nor ought there be,
Nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey earth
As that Prince of Foods . . . The Muffin!"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do have one small concern with the videos. Amir does make the odd *ahem* mistake when posting articles, these errors are usually hlighted by early readers at which point Amir gracefully acknowledges the error and amends the article. It occurs to me that this feedback and correction loop would be more difficult to implement with video.
It is a nightmare with video seeing how I prefer to not do edits.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a nightmare with video seeing how I prefer to not do edits.

Maybe a group of members would volunteer to "proof" your videos before you publish them?

deprogrammed

Words, tables, graphs and other 2D mediums have been the gold standard for the fast and accurate transmission of structured and refined knowledge for hundreds of years (keywords being the carefully chosen adjectives, here). Can the video format challenge it? Protip: no, videos can only augment these methods, never replace it.

Depends on what you are trying to teach and learn....Words, tables, graphs and other 2D mediums about learning to solder is not near as good as watching someone do it in a video.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer text over video because I'm a very fast reader and watching a video mostly is a waste of time compared to reading. That includes @amirm's videos (sorry, boss).

However there are a few really good videos, like Monty's "Digital audo show and tell", or several science lectures or Mailab's youtube channel (german language). The difference here is that they do not just talk and show slides but either show moving things or include other videos and interviews.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Muffin Man is seated at the table
In the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen . . .
As that Prince of Foods . . . The Muffin!"

Whatever you're on, man... can I have some?

Zappa never really did it for me. He inspired musicians I adore, like Weird Al. I just can't name a Zappa song I like or even want to listen to. This is the opposite of how I feel about The Velvet Underground. I adore their music, and many of the artists they inspired bore me.

mansr

Major Contributor
Depends on what you are trying to teach and learn....Words, tables, graphs and other 2D mediums about learning to solder is not near as good as watching someone do it in a video.
In that specific example, a short video of someone performing various techniques might be useful. I'd still prefer written text over or in addition to spoken narrative for the important bits. Not that I've ever watched a soldering video.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't it a poll about preferences?

I like to open a loudspeaker review and go straight to the FR then disto graphs.
If I'm impressed, then only I read the rest.

Also, it is good to be able to listen to music through all the top gear discovered here while reading new reviews.

But for tutorials and inteviews, I like videos too.

Also, videos lack pink panther.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
In the context of of gear reviews on this site I have little interest in videos. Text and static images are easier to access the important information. However, Amir is probably right to compete in the YouTube mindspace as an antidote to all the subjectivist channels.

Video is great for teaching visual subjects like crafts, woodworking etc. Not so good for technical but non-visual stuff like programming or math.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Another thing is that anyone can comment on a video. On a forum, you need to register to comment.
You have to be logged in to Google/YouTube to comment there too - which I will never do. I deleted any and all Google accounts years ago.

LearningToSmile

Really depends on what is being discussed. Numbers, measurements, and theory are often easier to digest as text.

But as soon as something involves anything three-dimensional, videos are superior. For example comprehensive review of something where material design matters I'd rather see it as a video, but if I'm only interested in measurements I'd rather just have the text. Or when I was learning coding, I would use written tutorials, and when I was learning 3D modeling, I'd use video tutorials.

Articles are easier to skim too, as long as they're all on the same page.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
One big disadvantage of videos, I find, is that one can't listen to music at the same time. As an avid music listener (as I assume most people here are too) I find it annoying having to stop the music to watch a video. So I rarely do ...

weasels

Really depends on what is being discussed. Numbers, measurements, and theory are often easier to digest as text.

But as soon as something involves anything three-dimensional, videos are superior. For example comprehensive review of something where material design matters I'd rather see it as a video, but if I'm only interested in measurements I'd rather just have the text. Or when I was learning coding, I would use written tutorials, and when I was learning 3D modeling, I'd use video tutorials.

Articles are easier to skim too, as long as they're all on the same page.

Excellent points all around.

Top Bottom