• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very simple bass / piano test tracks ?

tw99

When playing around with room EQ and trying to get a relatively even low frequency response, I thought it'd be useful to find test tracks that just comprised scales on various instruments (e.g. electric and/or acoustic bass, piano, synth etc). But I've been unable to find anything even close to such a thing. Does anyone know of any tracks like this available on Youtube or anywhere else ?

Please don't suggest "Spanish Harlem" or the like, I'm specifically after something that is not music, but not just sinewave tones. I'm also measuring the results with REW but it's useful to check subjectively as well.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't find anything readily available, I can make you an electronic bass track. Are you looking for a chromatic descending line or a major scale or something else?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Stereophile Test CD # 2, tracks 16, 17 18 have 1/3 octave warble tones from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. It's like a frequency sweep, but very slow where each 1/3 octave warble tone runs for 15 seconds, then shifts to the next frequency.

whazzup

I tend to recommend this, made by @wwenze, to quickly gauge by ear just how low it goes. Can easily hear the progression of volume, spot the resonant (ballpark) frequencies and even do rudimentary eq by ear.

OP
tw99

tw99

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Still open to any more suggestions of tracks with instruments doing similar things.

whazzup

OP
tw99

tw99

Having done some more experiments this morning, that @wwenze Youtube recording is very helpful in quickly understanding if a filter change has made an obviously audible effect, so thanks for the pointer.

I still find it a bit odd how little of this sort of "precise" material there is out there though. Might be a great marketing opportunity for those selling Room EQ products: "Play this test track, and if you hear notes that vary in volume, BUY OUR PRODUCT!"

Top Bottom