• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Verum 1 : planar magnetic headphones

Here are my brief impressions of the Verum One's after listening to them over a few days.

At first, they sounded quite underwhelming and thin. Powering them off of my phone and my PC motherboard resulted in a quiet, rather disappointing sound. But I burned them in over a few days and found a much better power source and these things came to life. After testing them on various high-end amps that I could find, I found that they scale very well!

The sound signature can be best described as dark, natural and dynamic. Bass is very flat and somewhat neutral, doesn't bleed at all through the midrange. Although it doesn't have the heavy slam and rumble some people have mentioned, the bass has some impact and is very well executed! Both upper-midrange and treble are recessed, but nicely detailed and the separation of instruments comes across very well. Soundstage is narrower than I expected, my Grado SR80e's come across wider, but the Verum's large drivers definitely create a "bigger" all-encompassing sound. I would still consider the soundstage relatively wide.

The build is incredible for a DIY headphone, it feels solidly built although a little cumbersome to handle, very comfortable to wear for long periods.

20190918_171650.jpg

Overall I'm very impressed by what Garuspik was able to create, its such as pleasure to listen to these!

Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).

Fluffy

I gave a listen to pair at a friend's house. They sound nice, but the build needs to be improved and that cumbersome headband needs to get more compact.

The main issue is the 8 ohm impedance, which means driving it with a high output impedance amp will give you a very bad damping factor. The amp he had there (SONY TA-ZH1ES) could barely handle them, and I needed to crank up the volume to get it to a listenable level. And it also sounded kind of muddy with that amp. Once I switched to my portable Fiio X3 v2 (output impedance lower than 0.1) they sounded much better.

Saying that low impedance headphones is easy to drive is a misleading generalization. 8 ohms means the amplifier has to output ridiculous amounts of wattage, and if the output impedance is high it means it actually resists outputting that power. This basically approaches speaker's territory, and according to common speaker wisdom, lower impedance actually means harder to drive.

I think a better design choice would be to go for a more manageable 16 ohm, if possible. Oh, and the front facing cable connectors looks like they might break with the gentlest hit.

I'm more and more thinking about getting one, as "upgrade" of HD650.
Also looking at used LCD-2.

Which one of the two would have the nicest bass ? It's something I think the HD650 misses a bit, so I don't really want to miss out on bass on my next headphones.

Icboschert

Patreon Donor
Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).
I have the same problem on my unit. right earcup cuts in an out if it moved suddenly or snapped on to my head quickly. Sometimes this leads to some channel imbalance with left or right side being more dominant. I used to have heavy right side dominance until recently (smacked the cups around a few times on my head). If the imbalance remains I might send the unit in for repair but tough pill to swallow shipping from US to Ukraine. Don't even care about the money but the time spent without headphones would be a bummer.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I gave a listen to pair at a friend's house. They sound nice, but the build needs to be improved and that cumbersome headband needs to get more compact.

The main issue is the 8 ohm impedance, which means driving it with a high output impedance amp will give you a very bad damping factor. The amp he had there (SONY TA-ZH1ES) could barely handle them, and I needed to crank up the volume to get it to a listenable level. And it also sounded kind of muddy with that amp. Once I switched to my portable Fiio X3 v2 (output impedance lower than 0.1) they sounded much better.

Saying that low impedance headphones is easy to drive is a misleading generalization. 8 ohms means the amplifier has to output ridiculous amounts of wattage, and if the output impedance is high it means it actually resists outputting that power. This basically approaches speaker's territory, and according to common speaker wisdom, lower impedance actually means harder to drive.

I think a better design choice would be to go for a more manageable 16 ohm, if possible. Oh, and the front facing cable connectors looks like they might break with the gentlest hit.
I am using either my iPad or a RME ADI-2 Pro with mine they sound fine and loud enough for me with either.
Low impedance does mean more current but also less voltage, so the statement "ridiculous amounts of wattage" isn't true, though it is true some headphone outputs may struggle with high current (poor ones IMO).
Any headphone output with a high output impedance is a kludge IMO, either a series resistor to the main (speaker) amp or just not all that good.