• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using xlr with 887 abd topping e30

NemoReborn

Hi there. Im currently using t50rp with my monoprice thx 887.
Id like to use the xlr output to gain the high power it provides.

but my dac is not balanced and my headphone is not either..

can i just use a after market xlr cable ?

im not trying to gain the balanced benefits other than the output

any suggestions to achieve it ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
T50 has a detachable 3.5mm cable at the cup? You just need to find an aftermarket with 3.5mm trrs on one end and 4pin xlr on the other. Long enough for your needs.

OP
N

NemoReborn

T50 has a detachable 3.5mm cable at the cup? You just need to find an aftermarket with 3.5mm trrs on one end and 4pin xlr on the other. Long enough for your needs.

wont hurt anything? Ive read somewhere it could ruin the amp using the balanced output with unbalanced headphone?? Not true ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
wont hurt anything? Ive read somewhere it could ruin the amp using the balanced output with unbalanced headphone?? Not true ?

If its not wired up to take 4 wires, it's not possible without re wiring internally. But the T50 is. I have the t60 and run balanced using exactly that, a trrs 3.5mm to xlr.

OP
N

NemoReborn

If its not wired up to take 4 wires, it's not possible without re wiring internally. But the T50 is. I have the t60 and run balanced using exactly that, a trrs 3.5mm to xlr.
I think the t60rp is pre balanced inside. But not the t50

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
or my 3.5 mm would have 3 black bar on it ?

Actually , I have just been reading up on it. I think you are correct- sounds like the T50 has been wired so both cups share a ground connect. So yes, will be a TRS connect at the cup end (Tip, ring , sleeve). If each cup had a separate ground connect like the T60 it would be TRRS (and 3 bars). Apologies. I foolishly assumed the T60 was just a T50 with wood cups. Its not.

Sounds like people will mod them to balanced for $30 or so. But Im surprised the 887 lacks sufficient power single ended to run them.

OP
N

NemoReborn

Actually , I have just been reading up on it. I think you are correct- sounds like the T50 has been wired so both cups share a ground connect. So yes, will be a TRS connect at the cup end (Tip, ring , sleeve). If each cup had a separate ground connect like the T60 it would be TRRS (and 3 bars). Apologies.
So impossible to use the xlr out from the amp ?

Top Bottom