• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using RePhase just as parametric equializer (for MiniDSP OpenDRC needs)

Daltong

Basically I want to get a used cheap OpenDRC and use it as digital-in digital-out equalizer.
However I'd like to have 10 bands not 6 as it has.
I saw it suggested on google that one can use rePhase to generate a FIR filter that is equivalent to a "normal" PEQ tweak with particular settings and have OpenDRC deal with it.
Superficially reading online about RePhase it seems pretty straightforward, but given the tool sophistication I still gotta ask:

Is there any trick to it, like do I have to adjust "phase EQ" in any way after I've dialed in what I wanted into gain EQ, or do I just pretty much dial in my parametric EQ adjustments into Gain EQ, don't touch anything else and get the filter done?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would run the miniSHARC 4x8 plugin on the OpenDRC-DI instead of the OpenDRC 2x2 plugin. For a stereo setup this will give you 20 PEQs (10 input + 10 output), also note that in either case you get 8 biquads in the crossover section which also can be used as PEQs.

I wouldn’t worry about FIR unless you actually need it.

Michael

OP
Daltong

Daltong

Wait, you CAN run the MiniSHARC plugin on the OpenDRC-DI?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, you CAN run the MiniSHARC plugin on the OpenDRC-DI?

Yes. An OpenDRC-DI is just a miniSHARC + DIGI-FP + VOL-FP in a box.

I use mine for source selection and ASRC and use the miniSHARC 4x8-96 plugin. The other advantage of the miniSHARC plugin is you have the choice of whether you run at 48 kHz or 96 kHz sample rate while with the OpenDRC-DI 2x2 plugin you are stuck with 48 kHz.

Michael

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you use the OpenDRC for just a few PEQ’s? Seems like a bit of a waste. The thing is made to run FIR.

But yes, you can use RePhase as a PEQ generator with OpenDRC. That would work just fine.

Top Bottom