• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a single DAC for both headphones and powered monitors?

DapperDanMan

For a long time I was using a Peachtree Nova 150 in my home office with a pair of KEF R300's. The Nova 150 has a built-in headphone amp (similar to a lot of AVRs) so if I needed to use headphones I'd simply plug them in and it would switch into headphone mode automatically.

I've rearranged things a bit and now I'm running a dedicated DAC (Soncoz SGD1) and Headphone amp (Geshelli Labs Archel2.5 Pro) in my office and the old equipment has moved to a different room. I'm finding there are still times when I'd like to use speakers in the office, so I'm thinking of adding a pair of powered monitors to the mix.

What's the recommended method to achieve the functionality I had previously, i.e. swapping from headphones to monitors with minimal fuss?

headphone amp and dac - copy.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this functionality with my D50s + JDS Labs Atom because the Atom has a pre-amp output (enabled when headphones are unplugged). You could add an XLR switch box between the DAC and the HP amp to achieve a similar outcome.

Amirm reviewed one here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...und-3-in-1-out-xlr-audio-switch-review.11062/

You'll need think about how you want to control the volume. On my setup, I do the following:

1. PC Volume = fixed at 100%
2. DAC = fixed at 100%
3. Monitor Speakers = fixed at 60%
4. Atom = 10 to 2 o'clock gives me reasonable volume on both my headphones and speakers (and no nasty surprises when I switch between them).

I think it would be easiest to use the DAC for volume control if you added a switch to your setup.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
SABAJ D5? Or other DAC with XLR output for your powered monitors and and headphone amp inside the same box. SMSL M500 etc...

OP
DapperDanMan

DapperDanMan

I'm liking the idea of the XLR switch. Not too expensive and it seems like it would give me what I want. I currently run the volume on my PC and DAC at 100% and adjust volume with the headphone amp. I imagine I could set the monitors to a fixed level and then adjust their volume with the DAC pretty easily.

If I did go with an integrated DAC / Heaphone amp like the SMSL M500 or SABAJ D5, are those always outputting from the XLR outputs, or does it automatically turn off that output when headphones are plugged in?

Top Bottom