• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB versus Ethernet input into DAC - any impact on sound quality?

NH68

Dear Members

I love the scientific discussion on this forum! I had one question for which I haven't found an answer elsewhere hence posting it here.

I have a DAC (Hegel HD30) which has an Ethernet connection in addition to USB, Coaxial Optical i2S inputs. So I can stream music from my NAS over the home network using minimserver (hosted on the NAS) and Bubbleupnp as the remote which would see the Hegel as a renderer.

I used to have a Innuos Zen Mini M3 streamer which had two ethernet ports - one of which you could connect to the DAC (the other would connect to the LAN). It also had USB, Coaxial and Optical out for connecting to the DAC. I tried using the different inputs to the DAC - I could not hear any significant differences. But I know some folks who prefer ethernet enabled DACs because they believe SQ is better than a USB (or coaxial) connection.

My question is if there are any studies conducted to check if the ethernet connection is better or worse than the USB or coaxial or optical connection between the streamer and a DAC with an Ethernet input.

If there is any objective data/experiments conducted I would love to know about those.

Of course if the answer is that the differences are either not audible or the DAC takes care of it in any case then its a non issue.

Will be grateful for any information in this regard. I didn't find this on any other thread. If it has been discussed will be great if anyone could just point me towards that.

Many thanks!!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As you have found - there are no audible difference between different digtial sources into a DAC.

Once you get beyond 24 bit/48kHz data rate, then higher resolution is inaudible. Different ways of delivering the data are also identical.

The only exception is where noise can be transferred from some devices to downstream analogue connections, for example into ground loops. This can happen for example from a noisy PC via. a USB connection. These can easily be eliminated by using optical connections for digital data, or balanced analogue connections.

And note - if you can't hear noise (hiss etc from your speakers with nothing playing) then it is not impacting your audio - inaudible noise does not result in subtle changes to things like sound stage etc. If it is inaudible - it is inaudible.

notsodeadlizard

Your question is more about what your Hegel is than about your concerns.
This machine is not a simple DAC, it has a built-in computer so just stop worrying, your Ethernet connection to the Hegel is still a USB connection to the DAC inside the Hegel, because there is no reason to do otherwise.
Everything else doesn't matter.

notsodeadlizard

This is what objectivism, brought to the point of subjectivism, brings people to.
A man bought a wonderful Hegel and torments himself with doubts "what if it will be 0.0006% instead of 0.0005% from the ethernet".
Instead of listening to music and enjoying a beautiful device.
Your Hegel is a remarkable machine, rejoice and enjoy!
:)

OP
N

NH68

As you have found - there are no audible difference between different digtial sources into a DAC.

Once you get beyond 24 bit/48kHz data rate, then higher resolution is inaudible. Different ways of delivering the data are also identical.

The only exception is where noise can be transferred from some devices to downstream analogue connections, for example into ground loops. This can happen for example from a noisy PC via. a USB connection. These can easily be eliminated by using optical connections for digital data, or balanced analogue connections.

And note - if you can't hear noise (hiss etc from your speakers with nothing playing) then it is not impacting your audio - inaudible noise does not result in subtle changes to things like sound stage etc. If it is inaudible - it is inaudible.
Thank you very much! Much appreciated.

OP
N

NH68

This is what objectivism, brought to the point of subjectivism, brings people to.
A man bought a wonderful Hegel and torments himself with doubts "what if it will be 0.0006% instead of 0.0005% from the ethernet".
Instead of listening to music and enjoying a beautiful device.
Your Hegel is a remarkable machine, rejoice and enjoy!
:)
Well said!! Good to know that our doesn't matter. Advice well taken. Will stop worrying and start enjoying!!

OP
N

NH68

Thanks much!!

Top Bottom