• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

diegooo1972

@Julian Krause just posted his review on the Motu Ultralite Mk5; seems like a winner for a compact interface MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Audio Interface - REVIEW (audio performance tested) - YouTube
I really like Julian Krause. In this review he pointed out that some results may be not be complete due to his audio analyzer. Pretty hard to see that behaviour generally on youtube. I consider that very intellectually honest. Regardless the ultralite has really great results.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like Julian Krause. In this review he pointed out that some results may be not be complete due to his audio analyzer. Pretty hard to see that behaviour generally on youtube. I consider that very intellectually honest. Regardless the ultralite has really great results.
Yep, agreed. He does do a pretty darn good job of a no BS review. Rather refreshing among the huge amount of noise on YT

phoenixsong

Yup I find his reviews very accurate on a self-relative level (comparing stuff he has measured against other stuff he has measured), but won't be surprised if exact figures should deviate for other reviewers or if more aspects can be measured to make it more conclusive (I'm no engineer though). But for the general consumer it is useful enough and beneficial no doubt

Jukka

A step up from Focusrite Scarlett in their own range is Clarett, like this one: Clarett 2Pre USB. It's almost 4 times the price of smallest Scarlett, but still half the price of top of the line SMSL or Topping and has many balanced analog IO. It would be nice to see how this pro stuff fares when stepping up from the "prices starting at"-range.

Grooved

A step up from Focusrite Scarlett in their own range is Clarett, like this one: Clarett 2Pre USB. It's almost 4 times the price of smallest Scarlett, but still half the price of top of the line SMSL or Topping and has many balanced analog IO. It would be nice to see how this pro stuff fares when stepping up from the "prices starting at"-range.

I don't know it but it's possible that this device may have the same performance than the Scarlett as a balanced DAC, as the main difference between both is the mic pre-amp quality. Not sure if the output stages are different

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know it but it's possible that this device may have the same performance than the Scarlett as a balanced DAC, as the main difference between both is the mic pre-amp quality. Not sure if the output stages are different
I'm not sure where you are getting that information. The Clarett reputedly used the same circuits and chips as the Forte. I've both a Scarlett and once had a Forte and the Forte is better across the board in every parameter.

Grooved

I'm not sure where you are getting that information. The Clarett reputedly used the same circuits and chips as the Forte. I've both a Scarlett and once had a Forte and the Forte is better across the board in every parameter.

I'm not getting this information from anywhere as I clearly said "I don't know it" :)
I've already heard both but only in the context of recorded mic, and the Clarett was better, as expected since it's the argument resellers are providing : better mic pre-amps.
And as in pro-audio, the price often goes up more because of better pre-amps than better ADC/DAC... there were more chances here that the Clarett got better pre-amp than any other thing if it has only one improvement.
Glad to get a confirmation now that it's also better on the other parts, and I should have written it clearer ;)

Grooved

Scarlett has a lot lower stats on Focusrite page. But it's more red
Right, after checking, the three Clarett have this on Line out :
Dynamic Range 118 to 119dB
Maximum Output Level+18dBu, balanced line/TRS Outputs
THD+N 0.0006 to 0.00075%

while the Scarlett all have :
Dynamic Range 108dB
Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS) 15.5dBu
THD+N <0.002%

So I was wrong that maybe only the pre-amps were a real upgrade, the DAC part is improved too

phoenixsong

Right, after checking, the three Clarett have this on Line out :
Dynamic Range 118 to 119dB
Maximum Output Level+18dBu, balanced line/TRS Outputs
THD+N 0.0006 to 0.00075%

while the Scarlett all have :
Dynamic Range 108dB
Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS) 15.5dBu
THD+N <0.002%

So I was wrong that maybe only the pre-amps were a real upgrade, the DAC part is improved too
Focusrite has a new Clarett+ series, might be worth checking that out

Grooved

Focusrite has a new Clarett+ series, might be worth checking that out
On paper, the three Clarett+ models share the same specs, and the difference with the Clarett models look like this :
Clarett+.PNG

sand_bit

Motu M2, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 or 2, Focusrite Scarlett Solo gen 3 and Roland Ai-1
Looking at the review here:
The Komplete Audio 1/2 has an headphone output impedance of 10.21 Ohms, pretty high compared to the 0.06 Ohms of the MOTU M2 and the 0.35 Ohms of the focusrite 2i2/solo Gen 3.

The focusrite has problems in the headphone out with low impedance headphones, but fairs okay at 300 Ohm outputs. But unfortunately has terrible crosstalk on the headphone out (-40dB ?!). The Komplete has no crosstalk issues, but THD+N measures slightly worse than the focusrite @ 300 Ohms.

Given the choice of these three I would probably just go with the Motu M2.

Wish we had DAC out comparisons for all these interfaces, and not just DAC+headphone amp out.

phoenixsong

Looking at the review here:
The Komplete Audio 1/2 has an headphone output impedance of 10.21 Ohms, pretty high compared to the 0.06 Ohms of the MOTU M2 and the 0.35 Ohms of the focusrite 2i2/solo Gen 3.

The focusrite has problems in the headphone out with low impedance headphones, but fairs okay at 300 Ohm outputs. But unfortunately has terrible crosstalk on the headphone out (-40dB ?!). The Komplete has no crosstalk issues, but THD+N measures slightly worse than the focusrite @ 300 Ohms.

Given the choice of these three I would probably just go with the Motu M2.

Wish we had DAC out comparisons for all these interfaces, and not just DAC+headphone amp out.
Motu's price is on another tier and availability is a huge issue for many (my friend included when I recommended it to him). I think the Arturia is meant to compete directly with the Focusrite and maybe edge out a few others like Native Instruments. Not that I'm putting Motu down or anything, I'm actually using the M2 right now as I'm typing this

Top Bottom