• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB 3 cable length with HDD

Digby

Major Contributor
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. It seems that max recommended cable length for USB3 is 3 metres, beyond you need hubs and things like that. I want to use a USB HDD on a 3 metre cable, has anyone had problems doing this and maintaining consistent USB3 speeds. Are there better and worse cables (quality wise for this)? I understand it might be more to do with cable gauge, than length, so just wondering how to ensure buying a quality cable and others experiences, if any.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used 3m Amazon Basics USB3 cables with external hard drives and never had a problem with keeping a connection or speed in general.

Any longer and you'll probably need hub/active repeater because of timing issues.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
This is from Wikipedia:

Unlike previous standards, the USB 3.0 standard does not specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires, the maximum practical length is 3 meters (10 ft).

So as long as the cable is from a legitimate manufacturer and USB3 certified, it should be fine.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had several of the 10ft Amazon Basics USB cables and never had a hard drive slowdown or playback problems with a DAC. They really have good house brand cables there.

Top Bottom