• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/whos-buying-the-uptone-audio-iso-regen.23015/post-452667
Amirm, You are not an expert and you have no clue how to measure properly things, So why are you still measuring audio stuff?
I have no choice. It rains a lot in winter so I need another hobby besides gardening.

That aside, seems like you need a rudimentary lesson in logic. Those eye patterns are for what is going on in your USB interface. That would only matter if you hook up the USB cable directly to your speaker. Is this what you are doing? If so, them bits must sound nice to you. I personally hate that static. ;)

The rest of us hook up that USB cable to drive a DAC. Impact of USB bus on DAC performance ranges from zero to very small, the latter on the worst designed ones. Indeed I perform a ton of measurements (and listening tests) on DAC using standard USB on "busy" computers with zero impact.

Have the company show you the impact on what comes out of your audio system and then we can talk. Despite promising such for years and years, they have never produced a single measurement of this type. So I suggest you hold on to your wallet tight and good as otherwise, you will be spending money on useless tweaks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amirm, You are not an expert and you have no clue how to measure properly things, So why are you still measuring audio stuff?

The ISO regen is not an audio device. It is a completely digital domain USB data reclocker and galvanic isolator that is said to improve audio quality.
How would you, in your expert opinion, go about measuring audio quality in a USB signal ?

And why would Amir need to stop measuring audio stuff, again, in your expert opinion ?

Who, in your opinion, does have a clue to measure 'things' properly and what prompts you say Amir has no clue ?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you guys bugged my brain without me looking??? I was driving to Best Buy store to buy a new camera body and on the way there I thought I should pick up a hub and see how it does with that! :D

The hub is a four port "Insignia" (Best Buy private brand) for USB 2.0. It comes with external wall wart switching power supply. I got ripped off to the tune of $29 plus tax :(.

Anyway, here are the results:

View attachment 8046
:)
And one possibly, with direct connection but use a battery for 5V supply and no Uptone device.
It should put the question of supply rail filtering effectiveness to bed.
If that works ....
all one needs is a battery! and some USB cable soldering.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ostim

Sorry for the necro but I felt compelled to leave a testimonial:

Got the usb regen for galvanic isolation, I had groundloops and it helped.

But also what I noticed is that my DAC became much more reliable, in the past it would regularly cause bluescreens, they are completly gone... The DAC had a ton of buffer issues.

I can accept that objectively my sound did not improve, but also there has never been crackling from buffer issues again.

I realize there is more economical expenditures, especially today, but without the usb regen my NI audio8 would have basically become e-waste. As it is I'm pretty happy.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the necro but I felt compelled to leave a testimonial:

Got the usb regen for galvanic isolation, I had groundloops and it helped.

But also what I noticed is that my DAC became much more reliable, in the past it would regularly cause bluescreens, they are completly gone... The DAC had a ton of buffer issues.

I can accept that objectively my sound did not improve, but also there has never been crackling from buffer issues again.

I realize there is more economical expenditures, especially today, but without the usb regen my NI audio8 would have basically become e-waste. As it is I'm pretty happy.

I have to ask what DAC, that presented so many issues for you, are you using? Amir did show one DAC (Schiit) that it did resolve some problems with.

But that just means that you're better off being picky about your initial DAC purchase and not bothering to duplicated USB isolation which has the effect of increasing cost, complexity, points of failure without the benefit of SQ gain.

I asked @Superdad at Whatsbestforum years ago if he would blind audition his own product in his own setup. He initially said that he would. When Amir jumped on the acceptance of the offer SD up and ghosted the forum for 18 months. You can easily verify this with the search function over there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is likely a different explanation for that. Nothing this device does can impact OS crashes that way.

ostim

As I said a native instruments audio8 i've had it for a long time. Honestly IDK what caused me to buy it back in the day.

Not even say... daily driving asio for video gaming purposes?

Top Bottom