• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't say. Also, USB 2.0 hubs were readily available already in 2001. If anyone, it's the likes of Belkin that are the victims of copying here. They had a "regen" device in all but name well over a decade before Uptone existed at all.

Some times you have to point out the obvious

ajawamnet

Those are all lies. You are just making shit up.

To the makers of this ethernet thing:

So what single chip ethernet switch IC is this using? There ain't many. Marvel won't usually deal with small companies outside of asia. Broadcom, well, ask any of the Rasp Pi guys for a complete datasheet on their IC's. I did some of the crypto accelerators for Bluesteel after Broadcom bought them. They were not fun to deal with...

So that leaves the Micrel based or Vitesse, unless you spin your own in an FPGA, but that's probably suck as to thruput and latency unless you used a silly expensive part.

And what ARM are you using? I see the JLINK ICE headers. Are they M or A core ARMS's? I do a lot of design with both; the A cores are sometimes available in POP packaging - where the DDRx is mounted on top of the uC itself... Snapdragon 8xx is one, tho again they will not sell you IC's unless you're Samsung and buying 100K or so a quarter.

So can you show this on a report from something like the Sifos analyzer?
I'd be interested in seeing that...

I deal with some silly fast ethernet designs - silly expensive, very low latency. We've had our stuff tested by firms that have gear like the Sifos for PHY and stuff like Teledyne/LeCroy for protocol analysis. I'd be curious to see any report you'd have that's similar.

I'm guessing the input is just a standard 802.3ab using PAM-5 and typical 1000-T encoding... What I'm not quite sure of is that in maintaining the encoding for this
nontrivialencodingviascrambling.png

... how can this be any different then any other 802.3ab compliant device?

And what's with the isolation between the in and output? What does that really do as far as any measurable performance of the actual ethernet switching? The galvanic isolation proved by the transformers - transformers with fairly decent CMR - should be sufficient. There's no galvanic connection to either link partner...

I've had to design isolation for things like USB for medical gear - compliant to IEC 60601 for patient barrier - here's a pic

DSCN1892.JPG

We tried using the ADUM Icoupler's with power isolation but it put out more RF (1MHz to about 150MHz if I recall) that the Welch Allyn test lab mentioned it was the most radiated EMI they'd ever seen.... so we bagged that and went with what you see there.

The USB isolator that Lady ADA sells is also based on those AD ICouplers. And yep - they're also hideous for radiated too...

So any info and ethernet PHY/Protocol test results that show a distinct improvement in link partner performance/resilience would be appreciated...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Fuck off.

Your site is a cess pool.
Hmmm. The question now becomes if we keep you around to play with you, or ban you. Seeing how quickly you get angry and lose control, let's go with the former. :)

Theriverlethe

Looking at that board, I think they've could have done it a lot easier, and cheaper if the purpose was to outright scam people. I still don't understand how something that happens on the physical layer on the switch is supposed to affect anything on the application layer on the 'Music PC', not to mention the physical layer of a connected DAC, and I've never seen a comprehensive explanation of the uptone proprietor on that subject.

Plausible deniability? Anyone with the ability to make such a device has to know their claims are physically impossible.

Theriverlethe

You're in luck!

In a typical home environment WiFi signals are scattered by impurities in the air. When streaming audio this scattering causes instruments to sound dingy or muted resulting in a diffuse, unfocused soundstage. The new WiFiPURE air purifier (patent pending) removes these impurities resulting in a more direct, unencumbered path for WiFi signals to flow through the home. By removing the signal scattering impurities, instruments sound cleaner and more open which in turn projects a sharp, focused soundstage. “The result was so profound that my wife fixing dinner in the other room asked if I had procured a new piece of audio gear. Amazing!” For particularly dirty air we also recommend the WiFiSCRUB spray (patent pending) which clumps the impurities together to aid the WiFiPURE to more effectively remove them.

Coming soon:

WiFiPURE only $1,299 for up to 500 sq ft

$1,899 for up to 1,000 sq ft

$2,499 for up to 2,000 sq ft

WiFiSCRUB only $29.99 per 8oz. bottle.

;)
Martin

I’m using a Logitech Media Server with wired Ethernet to control my WiFi Denon receiver through DLNA. Soundstage is a bit diffuse with the Dolby Surround upmixer. Do I just need the WiFiPURE or should I attach the EtherREGEN to the file server just in case? Thanks.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're in luck!

In a typical home environment WiFi signals are scattered by impurities in the air. When streaming audio this scattering causes instruments to sound dingy or muted resulting in a diffuse, unfocused soundstage. The new WiFiPURE air purifier (patent pending) removes these impurities resulting in a more direct, unencumbered path for WiFi signals to flow through the home. By removing the signal scattering impurities, instruments sound cleaner and more open which in turn projects a sharp, focused soundstage. “The result was so profound that my wife fixing dinner in the other room asked if I had procured a new piece of audio gear. Amazing!” For particularly dirty air we also recommend the WiFiSCRUB spray (patent pending) which clumps the impurities together to aid the WiFiPURE to more effectively remove them.

Coming soon:

WiFiPURE only $1,299 for up to 500 sq ft

$1,899 for up to 1,000 sq ft

$2,499 for up to 2,000 sq ft

WiFiSCRUB only $29.99 per 8oz. bottle.

;)
Martin

This is hysterical. You should write for the BabylonBee !!!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using a Logitech Media Server with wired Ethernet to control my WiFi Denon receiver through DLNA. Soundstage is a bit diffuse with the Dolby Surround upmixer. Do I just need the WiFiPURE or should I attach the EtherREGEN to the file server just in case? Thanks.

Either solution will be equally effective. :)

Martin

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It is new to me. The digital side of things, at least. I have been auditioning stuff. I do hear differences with different digital cables and servers that I have tried. Not looking for most expensive or anything like that - just trying out stuff that other people seem to like. The most eye-opening was Lush USB cable. Sounds like no other USB cable I tried. It seems in that case that shielding arrangements makes a big difference in what you hear out of your DAC. And it was pretty clear to me that a purpose-built music server with a good linear PSU sounded better streaming files than my iMac. A very different sound from those sources. So as I get deeper into picking some digital playback components, I'm trying to understand where/how to spot value and things that do make a real difference. Thanks
This is fake.
This must be a troll account.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is. Andre keeps making new aliases and personalities....
I can't work out if he's on his medication and these are just mild symptoms/coping strategies we are seeing or he's off it and this is just the start of his mental decline..

Andre , talk to me I can help !

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't have it backwards, you used the clock in your 2nd generation product what ever you call it. Your thread showed the internals of both competing products and wow, your next gen product contains facets from both. This is during the period you were pissed that your first generation product was being tested and debunked.

Remember your noisy switch mode power supply that you finally fessed up to???

This isn't the only thread you posted W4S Recovery's internals in.

2016 SuperDad post of W4S Recovery's internals (a year before you released your 2nd generation product).

w4s_recovery.jpg
We are speculating here , I think it's a little far fetched and dilutes the real issues.

Ultimately it undermines us to seem so desperate to find mud to stick to folks in this way imo.

Best stick to facts and the blatantly obvious.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are speculating here , I think it's a little far fetched and dilutes the real issues.

Ultimately it undermines us to seem so desperate to find mud to stick to folks in this way imo.

Best stick to facts and the blatantly obvious.

If you saw his original thread, you would draw the same conclusions. The fact that he has obtained competitors products, disassembles them and posts their internal details (presumably without permission from the manufacturers) on multiple forums is questionable behavior for a manufacturer in of itself and then their next gen product incorporates the parts and designs is a strange coincidence at best.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If you saw his original thread, you would draw the same conclusions. The fact that he has obtained competitors products, disassembles them and posts their internal details (presumably without permission from the manufacturers) on multiple forums is questionable behavior for a manufacturer in of itself and then their next gen product incorporates the parts and designs is a strange coincidence at best.
Well he's denied it , I for one believe @Superdad his product tear down not withstanding.

He's a audio enthusiast, I'm sure his intellectual interest in the workings other products and the keenness to share and talk about it was born out of a passion for audio.

I also believe he thinks his products make a audible difference, he's wrong and his methods for testing his belief is flawed but I don't sense anything disingenuous .

Uptone audio probably don't think they are scamming people either . whether we think they are and/or the readers of this thread think they are is up to us as individuals to decide.

The information is here as is the defence of the product both here and on other forums, what their defence amounts to again is up to the readers to decide.

This thread is still open and any evidence to support this device can be posted.

decoRyder

Well he's denied it , I for one believe @Superdad his product tear down not withstanding.
He's a audio enthusiast, I'm sure his intellectual interest in the workings other products and the keenness to share and talk about it was born out of a passion for audio.

I also believe he thinks his products make a audible difference, he's wrong and his methods for testing his belief is flawed but I don't sense anything disingenuous .

Same here - I don't think it's a scam - too much effort, and attention to detail went into the actual product, at least IMO. I still don't believe it works though. Those bits on the 'Music PC' aren't the same bits as those that were processed on the switch - they've passed from a physical signal to 'pure information' by the time they are processed on the 'Music PC' - and that information is either intact, or it's not. There's no 'direct signal path' from the switch to the PC Application layer, it's an 'information path'.

The simplest, easiest test for any EtherRegen owner would be to copy a file to the local drive, listen to it, then listen to the same file streamed over the switch, listening to both versions of the file on what they call 'the Music PC' - at that point you should believe what you're hearing (or not) : )

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see a problem if they did what you say they did. I'm sure others will tear down some of their products too. Car manufacturers disassemble each other's products. If I were seriously in business I would do it as far as it was legal to do.

I do object to obfuscation. I remember the very first Audio Research solid state preamp, a company previously using tubes only. They had gain modules heavily potted. Well they had some good op-amps in there. Going from simple tube circuits to op-amps (skipping over discrete transistor designs) was good for the performance. I considered it dishonest. And the cost considering the heart of the pre-amp is an op amp was rather high. The surrounding power supplies, switches etc were of very high quality.

Superdad

Audio Company

You are really on a roll with the lies “g29.” The only photos I have ever posted of another manufacturer’s product were those I found on the web, taken by others.
And unlike many of our competitors, we post photos of our entire boards on our website (even if I blur out the part numbers on a few chips).
And I encourage people to look at the thread on Audio Asylum you seem so aggrieved about. I made exactly one post in it, and it was purely informational and factual.
And unlike a many of you who are active on a multitude of forums—often under different names—I am a regular at only one, I go by the same name everywhere, and I am transparent about being an industry member.

Last edited:
Top Bottom