• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upper limit for DSD rate determined by physicists

PaulD

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-theorists-upper-limit-quantization.html
Well assuming 10 to the minus 33 seconds is the smallest quantum of time, then you can't sample DSD any faster.
Snap! Today I was just reading Carlo Rovelli's book "The Order of Time" and on p83 he says the quanta of time, or Planck time, is "around" 10 to the -44 seconds... He quotes papers back to 1997 for this, e.g, https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9609002. 11 orders of magnitude difference in the reported results is a pretty big difference! :D

Interestingly he says the quanta of space, or Planck length is "around" 10 to the -33 cm (on p86).

[I'm tempted to ask now if this means digital will never sound as warm as vinyl, but I fear someone might actually take such a statement seriously! :facepalm:]

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[I'm tempted to ask now if this means digital will never sound as warm as vinyl, but I fear someone might actually take such a statement seriously! :facepalm:]
It's rather the opposite. The shocking news for analog afficionados is that vinyl, actually all analog sources are inherently digital (sampled in time, discrete volume).:eek:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That would be one huge file size for an album of 'average' length.

Planck frequency:

1.8549×10^43 Hz

I guess double that would represent the necessary sampling rate.

PaulD

It's rather the opposite. The shocking news for analog afficionados is that vinyl, actually all analog sources are inherently digital (sampled in time, discrete volume).:eek:
Indeed it is! All of existence is "digital" - and random :eek:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
... and a couple of datacenters to store a song... and some 11G mobile network should you want to stream it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I guess double that would represent the necessary sampling rate.

I don't think you can double that according to the rules of what the Planck stuff is about - limits - big small whatever..

Maybe I'm wrong.

Example: Planck Mass is about 22 micrograms.

Oh well.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Microtonal music will evolve into plancktonal music. Music reviewers will switch to praising the skillful wobble in some soprano's voices. High-end audiophile cables will protect the signal from interference by quantum gravity waves. We are going to need smaller ears. Some audiophiles will prefer the MQA version with its final quantum disentanglement, because they can clearly tell the difference just by listening.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

So we are each always dancing the robot, no matter what style of dance we pick or whether we are dancing or not. A journey of a thousand minutes begins with a 10^-33 second step. So does the journey of a lifetime. The age of the universe is even more impressive when put in terms of the Planck scale of time. Quantum space and time resolve Zeno's Paradox without recourse to calculus of infinitesimals and infinite processes.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Some audiophiles will prefer the MQA version with its final quantum disentanglement, because they can clearly tell the difference just by listening.
That's because our brains (and thus our perception) are quantum-based, while all measuring equipment and computers are mechanical / classical Turing based. o_O

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not because we cannot "observe" time periods shorter than 10^-33 seconds that time "is" a succession of 10^-33 seconds time periods.
Like it is not because we can't find anything smaller than quarks that they "are" the ultimate elements.

Time to read Kant again I guess.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This makes me dizzy.

mansr

Major Contributor
Now we just need to "invent" a quantum PLL that phase-locks onto real time, providing a true zero-jitter time reference. It will lift veils you couldn't even imagine before hearing it.

Unclevanya

I'm sure Bob Stuart can fix that.
Bob Carver would then show he could do it with off the shelf components at 1/10th the clock rate and achieve a sound that is indistinguishable from the original.

This would form the basis of is PTF (Plank Transfer Function) equipment series.

Pluto

Forum Donor
This is awfully complicated for somebody like two short Plancks

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom