• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting my components effectively

glfnboer

Good morning all!

I’m trying to setup my new system and wonder if I’m just an idiot or am one piece of equipment short.
Turntable - Rega P3
Streamer - Bluesound Node
Integrated Amp/DAC - Peachtree Nova 300
Stereo Speakers - KEF LS50 meta
Wireless/Bluetooth speakers - Edifier S3000 Pro
Subwoofer - KEF KC62

So, I’d like to hookup my turntable such that it can play through either my wireless speakers(kitchen/living room), my stereo speakers (dedicated music listening room), or better yet, both (entertaining, parties)

I’d also like to be able to stream music in the same fashion - to either the stereo, Bluetooth, or both.

How do I get the most out of my system doing this? I don’t think I have enough outputs to get the turntable into the nova300 into the Bluesound and out to the Edifiers while also having my subwoofer hooked into the pre-out of the Nova 300. Any creative solutions?

staticV3

Master Contributor
From what I can tell, the only thing that you're missing is an external Phono pre:
Blank diagram (11).png

I know that the nova300 has one built-in, but I'm not entirely sure if you could easily use it as though it were an external one.

You could probably route the Rega into the nova300's Phono in, then the nova300's Pre out into the Node's Analog in, but you'd have to switch the nova300's input with the remote every time you want to use your Rega.

(Edit: scratch that. I doubt that the nova300 can do Phono in->Pre out->Toslink in simultaneously. An external Phono pre just seems like a better solution here)

The reason you want to use the nova300's Loop input/output is so that you can utilize the KC62's built-in HPF to ensure a proper crossover to the LS50 Meta where they will no longer be taxed with having to play bass frequencies as well. Check the KC62 manual for how to set up the HPF via its DIP switches.

Finally, using the Node app, you should be able to select whether to play via Toslink to your KEF setup, via aptX HD to your kitchen setup, or via both for parties.

Last edited:
OP
G

glfnboer

So two things I wasn’t sure about was using the loop in/out for my subwoofer and then using the toslink cable. But if the pre-out from the amp to the analog in on the node will work and then the loop in/out will work, then we’re in business!

The only question from there: will the streamed audio play on the subwoofer as well?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The only question from there: will the streamed audio play on the subwoofer as well?
If you use Loop in/out, then yes, but only when you set the Node to output via Toslink, so there's no way to use the KC62 with your S3000 Pro, without also having the LS50 Metas play (not sure if that's something you want)

But if the pre-out from the amp to the analog in on the node will work and then the loop in/out will work, then we’re in business!
Again: I'm highly sceptical whether you can still use the nova300's Phono in and Pre out in this configuration.
You may have to purchase a separate Phono pre and connect everything according to the schematic above.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think the Node has analog pass through. My Node 2 does not. Maybe just hook the turntable to the Peachtree if it has phono amp or use separate. Also all Node outputs are active at the same time so coax, toslink, and analog, FYI. Also, @staticV3 is a very savvy poster and his advice is solid.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also, @staticV3 is a very savvy poster and his advice is solid.
I wouldn't be so sure about that as I've just found this forum post:
Screenshot_20230922-235023_Chrome.png
Link

So yeah, at least back then, the Node was not capable of simultaneous output via BT and via Toslink.
I don't know if that has since changed @glfnboer

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On my Node 2 I do it by having my coax to Topping E30 to my amp and toslink goes to a BT transmitter. Sometimes I wake up my wife because I forget to turn down my amp when using my BT headphones.
Edit: the wired connections outputs are simultaneously live.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All Node versions can will convert A to D from analog in. May not be acceptable for some vinyl lovers.

OP
G

glfnboer

But if I run the node coax out to the amp instead of the toslink, would that work and bypass the Dac in the node?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But if I run the node coax out to the amp instead of the toslink, would that work and bypass the Dac in the node?
Yes it sends a digital signal out of both. I tried both and no difference.

OP
G

glfnboer

Interesting - the node manual says that running it through the coax out should bypass the node DAC - but that’s on the new Node, maybe a change from the Node 2i?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting - the node manual says that running it through the coax out should bypass the node DAC - but that’s on the new Node, maybe a change from the Node 2i?
It's on all Nodes versions, coax and toslink are digital bypassing the internal dac.
Edit: no difference between the digital out of coax and toslink in my listening.

OP
G

glfnboer

Guess I’ll see how it work. Is there a better way to do this? I’m happy to adjust certain pieces if it would make more sense and not cost too much more

Pieces can be bought and sold with reasonable efficiency.

OP
G

glfnboer

Is there a way to hookup some sort of splitter or switch such that I could have the turntable connected to bypass the Node at times when I just wanted the speakers to flow through the stereo but the flip a switch to make it then go through the node and stream everywhere at once?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to hookup some sort of splitter or switch such that I could have the turntable connected to bypass the Node at times when I just wanted the speakers to flow through the stereo but the flip a switch to make it then go through the node and stream everywhere at once?
Maybe hook the turn table setup directly to the Peachtree and use the preamp out on the Peachtree to the Node

Top Bottom