• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade to Yamaha rn1000a or something else?

Roolins

Hi,

I currently have the Yamaha rn602 and recently bought Monitor Audio 500 7g speakers.

I'm looking to upgrade the amp.

Does anyone have experience with the rn602 and the n1000a? I'm wondering whether it will be a noticeable improvement in sound?

What other options are there at this price that would be an improvement over the n1000a in terms of sound? I could buy an additional Wiim as a streamer, but I do need tone controls.

Maybe the Rotel A14 mkii with streamer?

Thanks

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hi,

I currently have the Yamaha rn602 and recently bought Monitor Audio 500 7g speakers.

I'm looking to upgrade the amp.

Does anyone have experience with the rn602 and the n1000a? I'm wondering whether it will be a noticeable improvement in sound?

What other options are there at this price that would be an improvement over the n1000a in terms of sound? I could buy an additional Wiim as a streamer, but I do need tone controls.

Maybe the Rotel A14 mkii with streamer?

Thanks
First off, what’s your budget?

My personal suggestion would be the NAD 326BEE. I own it, and I have a variety of integrated, power, and receiver's I’ve used as amps. It works out well for me and can get plenty loud, do not be deceived by 50 watts. Almost any amp you use typically plays in the 1-5 watt range. I’ve ran 4 and 6 ohm speakers on it as well. But this can vary by room size.

Next, look for something more expensive that you may want and find an open box or demo from an authorized dealer to get the manufacturers warranty. You can easily save 30% and get a product that’s covered.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What other options are there at this price that would be an improvement over the n1000a in terms of sound?
I don't think you get much of an upgrade by exchanging your amplifier. The R-N1000A is the R-N803 in a new enclosure, which has a review somewhere on ASR.

That said, if you don't have any room correction yet, some say the one in the R-N803 and thus the R-N1000A is effective and easy to setup. Also the R-N1000A supports more/newer streaming stuff.

Substantial and verifiable gains can be had with a measurement microphone, two subs, maybe some room treatment.

OP
R

Roolins

Thanks, I'm actually considering stretching further for the Yamaha rn2000a as it seems like it would be a much more significant jump.

I will audition them both and see if it feels worth double the price to me

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I'm actually considering stretching further for the Yamaha rn2000a
I hope you have a steady back. Getting into that class is a strain on old bones. The build is very different from the R-N1000A, and despite the fact that the price goes up steeply, i think the value goes up as well, faster than the price even.

Another marketing wonder on their part, a turtlenecked, once again unshaved man:
1711195860337.png

You can hear his thoughts, if you listen close: "This photo shoot is awesome. Making money in my sleep!"

as it seems like it would be a much more significant jump.
In terms of build, yes. In terms of sound fidelity? I don't think so, likely sounds very similar, if not indistinguishable in a blind test.
I have said it a hundred times, wish my A-S1200 had the variable loudness knob.

OP
R

Roolins

I hope you have a steady back. Getting into that class is a strain on old bones. The build is very different from the R-N1000A, and despite the fact that the price goes up steeply, i think the value goes up as well, faster than the price even.

Another marketing wonder on their part, a turtlenecked, once again unshaved man:
View attachment 358662
You can hear his thoughts, if you listen close: "This photo shoot is awesome. Making money in my sleep!"

In terms of build, yes. In terms of sound fidelity? I don't think so, likely sounds very similar, if not indistinguishable in a blind test.
I have said it a hundred times, wish my A-S1200 had the variable loudness knob.
I can get the rn2000a for $200 more than the A-S1200 at total of $2600 USD. I see people referring to it in the $4000 price point.

Hopefully this makes it better value, but I will test it against the rn1000a in audition. This will be 'end game' territory for me. The weight of the rn2000a does put me off but I guess that's just how it is

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can get the rn2000a for $200 more than the A-S1200 at total of $2600 USD. I see people referring to it in the $4000 price point.
If i had that choice, (R-N2000A vs A-S1200 with a difference of 200) i would go for the R-N2000A as well.

The weight of the rn2000a does put me off but I guess that's just how it is
It oozes high end quality. The R-N1000A doesn't even come close.

Top Bottom