• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Min 80wpc Stereo Amp for Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G

Scubacollie

Hi All, first post here and would be grateful for some advice.

I have Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and currently running them off an old 1991 Marantz PM50 70wpc.

I'm thinking of upgrading to include either a separate Streamer or an integrated one and was considering the Marantz N40, however it's only 70wpc, which is what I have now with the PM50 therefore no increase there.

I then was looking at the Roksan Antessa before reading a review on this forum which wasn't very good, due to it running hot, noise, peaks in frequency etc.....

Therefore can anybody suggest an Amp available in the UK which is minimum 80wpc (my speakers require 80-250wpc) which is a quality amp and reliable under £2.5k?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hi All, first post here and would be grateful for some advice.

I have Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and currently running them off an old 1991 Marantz PM50 70wpc.

I'm thinking of upgrading to include either a separate Streamer or an integrated one and was considering the Marantz N40, however it's only 70wpc, which is what I have now with the PM50 therefore no increase there.

I then was looking at the Roksan Antessa before reading a review on this forum which wasn't very good, due to it running hot, noise, peaks in frequency etc.....

Therefore can anybody suggest an Amp available in the UK which is minimum 80wpc (my speakers require 80-250wpc) which is a quality amp and reliable under £2.5k?

One option would be to connect a WiiM Audio streamer to a Yamaha A-S501 (85 wpc) integrated amplifier

Waxx

Major Contributor
If you want an more all in one easy to get amp in the UK, i would look at NAD, especially the C399 could be what you're after. It's based on the Hypex nCore technology (but their own licenced variation), and compatible with all kind of analog and digital sources for about £1800. That leaves you about £700 for a streamer, more than enough for even the most expensive Wiim Pro streamer and a Roon licence (What i would get) or a BlueOS Node streamer (what NAD recommends). NAD is a reliable brand, and the nCore amp systems are among the best in the world.

OP
S

Scubacollie

Thanks guys.

I've decided to go with another Marantz but don't know if to go for the Marantz PM12SE or the Model 30?

Also both are analogue only and I'm not paying another 3k for the matching SACD for these therefore would the WIIMPRO or the Bluenode be a good enough DAC and Streamer for these?

Top Bottom