• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade headphone from Sennheiser HD600

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m doubling down on the Superlux HD 681s. For these you lay down your $30, plug them in the headphone jack of your device of choice, and they are comfortable and they sound great. At least that is my experience. :)

These make a nice companion to the HD600. Much deeper bass and less subdued treble, still very balanced sound. IMHO.

Think I'm kidding? Do ya? Do ya huh?

Measurements, etc.(and even though the measurements are quite good, and are easily up there with the $$$ big boys, I still think they short-sell the subjective experience a little—the tonal balance is just dead-on. YMMV & etc. Bless your $30.):

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/superlux/hd-681

https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681...d=1564016696&s=gateway&sr=8-2#customerReviews

Now get this. You pay $30. You get them in the mail. You take them out of the chintzy cardboard packaging. And you plug them in to your device of choice. Any device! And they sound great! What the heck! What are all these other companies doing?

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I actually prefer my felt modded HD58X over my old HD600. It has many of the same positive qualities but with noticeable better extended and clearer bass and to my ears a slightly larger head stage (though this is very subjective).

Same here, I seem to prefer my HD58X over HD600. What is that felt mod though?

Bob-23

These make a nice companion to the HD600. Much deeper bass and less subdued treble, still very balanced sound. IMHO.

The same with the Superlux HD662EVO. Superlux makes apparently some welldone headphones for lowest prices (at least with regard to sound quality).

Having read about a year ago Solderdude's review of the HD662EVO (including measurements and a simple and reversable mod) I bought the headphones for the son of a friend. We did the (necessary) mod - and I couldn't believe it: they sound really good, nothing to complain, nice bass, clear highs, for such a low price (29 Euro/Thomann). Simply incredible!

So I bought them for myself, too. Jazz is lovely on them. No eqing necessary after the mod. For classics I still prefer the HD600.

The Superlux HD662EVO is also 'a nice companion to the HD600'.

There's a downside though. After a year or so, the cable at the ear cups is goin' to break. Repair is no problem if you know how to use a soldering iron. Some months ago I first repaired the one of my friend's son, then mine, implanted a solid microphone cable. There is also a 3-years-warranty (Thomann), but we didn't have the bills anymore, and the cable would be breaking again, anyway. With the new microphone cable they are 'rocksolid'.

Solderdude's sound description of the Superlux HD662EVO after the mod:
"Realistic bass response with good subbass extension The midrange is improved (more cohesive), quite dynamic, has a
good clarity and sounds very 'real'. Not 'warm' nor 'cold'. Just ... properly balanced and fun. The treble is of good quality
with a very nice sparkle and lots of air as well as sounding smooth and detailed. No sibilance, no fatigue, no shrill or
harsh treble anywhere."

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd662-evo-2/

Good sound quality is apparently possible even at low(est) prices. You don't have to follow the major companies with their more and more outlandish, completely exaggerated prices.

Last edited:

Michael_B

I recently scaled up my AMP and DAC and I'm looking to upgrade my headphone at the same time.

• Amp: jds labs atom

• DAC: Topping d70

• Headphones: Sennheiser HD600
That's exactly my old setup (and it's a pretty good setup, by the way).
I recently upgraded to a set of Focal Clears and while the HD600s are great, the Focals blow them away - there's no comparison.
They sound more detailed, with punchier bass, clearer mids and more defined highs.
Most importantly, I listen to more music now because it sounds so much better and is so much more enjoyable.
If your budget can stretch, or if you can get them on sale, I can't recomment the Clears highly enough.
MB

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
That's exactly my old setup (and it's a pretty good setup, by the way).
I recently upgraded to a set of Focal Clears and while the HD600s are great, the Focals blow them away - there's no comparison.
They sound more detailed, with punchier bass, clearer mids and more defined highs.
Most importantly, I listen to more music now because it sounds so much better and is so much more enjoyable.
If they're in your budget I can't recomment the Clears highly enough.
MB

You may well be right but the lack of verifiable information in your post leaves us with just a personal opinion. ASR demands more than that.

Hang in, though, and you may understand what I am saying, hopefully. :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What if I independently verified the info and concur with what @Michael_B said for 100%

Shocks ... that would merely indicate we share the same preference. My impression from the OP description tells me his preference may well be close to mine.
When it comes to headphones subjective evaluation (incl. comfort) may be the only thing of real importance.
Some measurement aspects (depending on how they were obtained) can help somewhat as well.

Last edited:

Bob-23

We should not forget the OP bought his HD600 only very recently (if I got it right from an earlier post of his, correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd say he should lean back, listen to the HD600 for a while, try out the suggested measures to improve them and first discover his personal preferences - instead of buying 'hectically' one (expensive) headphone after the other...

Last edited:

Michael_B

You may well be right but the lack of verifiable information in your post leaves us with just a personal opinion. ASR demands more than that.

Hang in, though, and you may understand what I am saying, hopefully. :)

No need to be patronising.
Plenty of people are chiming in with recommendations and opinions - or do we need a graph to accompany every comment?
Welcome to the community, eh?
MB

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We should not forget the OP bought his HD600 only very recently (if I got it right from an earlier post of his, correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd say he should lean back, listen to the HD600 for a while, try out the suggested measures to improve them and first discover his personal preferences - instead of buying 'hectically' one (expensive) headphone after the other...

True that.

OP
T

Toshinden

Thank you so much for sharing your advice and experience.

Actually i found 2 peoples with 2 really good deal.
I know that more expensive certainly does not mean better .

There is so much point of view ,so i will do a survey between theses 2 Headphones.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18374423

Hifiman Ananda for 850$ or Focal Clear for 1000$.
I can afford one of them.

OP
T

Toshinden

Do not worry,it will be the last headphone ill buy and dont spend anymore.
I just hesitate between Hifiman Ananda for 850$ vs Focal Clear for 1000$

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Unless you apply an incorrect amount of 'correction' which doesn't follow the needed correction and you create a hump without realizing it while assuming it should be flat.

hifiman Ananda for 850$ vs Focal Clear for 1000$

Try to audition them or buy them both with a right to return 1 of them.
look for sellers that offer a return service and make use of it.
Even when there is a restocking fee that may well be worth the knowledge and experience you gain.

Both sit very differently on the head.

I would never let a poll make a decision for me.
Headphones are very personal and what works for person A may not work for person B at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom