• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from dt 990 edition

withaquala

Been using this headphones for years with audient id4 and want to upgrade(to open-back too). I used them without EQ, tried it but didn't like it or I rly get used to its high frequency. Unfortunately, I dont have any stores in my city when I can listen to something. Also, I have creative aurvana live and tripowin olina se they sounds fineish to my taste too. Any suggestions in 500$ range?

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Been using this headphones for years with audient id4 and want to upgrade(to open-back too). I used them without EQ, tried it but didn't like it or I rly get used to its high frequency. Unfortunately, I dont have any stores in my city when I can listen to something. Also, I have creative aurvana live and tripowin olina se they sounds fineish to my taste too. Any suggestions in 500$ range?
You could try toilet paper mod and EQ if you just want an improvement without the risk of buying something unheard.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the DT990 black edition and the Hifiman HE5xx is much more well rounded with no harsh treble. Just as comfortable and on eBay some places have them in the $100 range on a good day. The Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X is a nice improvement, without the harsh treble or need for an amplifier. I'd use either every day, and my He5xx get more use than any other headphone. I'm on a waiting list for the new DT770 Pro X when it ships, since the DT700 is a little too tame/wimpy, but the DT900 Pro X sounds like just what your looking for. The Sennheiser HD600 is another all time favorite, neutral and the Sennheiser HD700 is another I have, more fun and the most comfortable headphone ever made.

OP
W

withaquala

I have the DT990 black edition and the Hifiman HE5xx is much more well rounded with no harsh treble. Just as comfortable and on eBay some places have them in the $100 range on a good day. The Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X is a nice improvement, without the harsh treble or need for an amplifier. I'd use either every day, and my He5xx get more use than any other headphone. I'm on a waiting list for the new DT770 Pro X when it ships, since the DT700 is a little too tame/wimpy, but the DT900 Pro X sounds like just what your looking for. The Sennheiser HD600 is another all time favorite, neutral and the Sennheiser HD700 is another I have, more fun and the most comfortable headphone ever made.
Thanks for suggestions. You are not the first one who talking about dt900 pro x, will definitely check them out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you love the warmth in the voices of the DT990 you may be disappointed by the DT900 Pro X
When you are looking for more neutral sound (so less bass/warmth and treble) than DT990 the DT900 Pro X is a solution if you want to remain in the Beyerdynamic range.
When you love the DT990 bass/warmth but don't like the treble and cannot use EQ then I can recommend using a passive filter. (works better than toilet paper)

OP
W

withaquala

When you love the warmth in the voices of the DT990 you may be disappointed by the DT900 Pro X
When you are looking for more neutral sound (so less bass/warmth and treble) than DT990 the DT900 Pro X is a solution if you want to remain in the Beyerdynamic range.
When you love the DT990 bass/warmth but don't like the treble and cannot use EQ then I can recommend using a passive filter. (works better than toilet paper)
Thats reasonable answer,thx. What if I want another pair of cans with neutral sound, outside beyerdynamic range? Something like sennheiser 600 series would be good to look into?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD560S (the newer version) would be an alternative. Price is between DT990 and DT900 ProX.
The HD600 is a bit light on the low bass and a bit too bright/forward compared to the HD560S
Very different comfort, fit and 'quality feel' between Beyer and HD560S.
dt900x-vs-hd560s.png

note: this is early HD560S which is a bit elevated in the 4-8kHz region, the 1.8m version is lower in that range.

DT1990 (+ obligatory treble filter/EQ) with A pads is an upgrade to DT990 and sounds a bit better than (stock) DT900 Pro X but is twice the price of the DT900 Pro X.

When you otherwise love the DT990 then it is cheaper to buy a filter for it:
990-stock-vs-filtered-no-tp.png

And combined with the toilet-paper mod:
dt990-stock-vs-filtered-tp.png

Is a LOT cheaper than buying a new headphone but totally get the idea of wanting something new.

dt900x-vs-dt990pro-250.png

Last edited:
OP
W

withaquala

HD560S (the newer version) would be an alternative. Price is between DT990 and DT900 ProX.
The HD600 is a bit light on the low bass and a bit too bright/forward compared to the HD560S
Very different comfort, fit and 'quality feel' between Beyer and HD560S.
dt900x-vs-hd560s.png

note: this is early HD560S which is a bit elevated in the 4-8kHz region, the 1.8m version is lower in that range.

DT1990 (+ obligatory treble filter/EQ) with A pads is an upgrade to DT990 and sounds a bit better than (stock) DT900 Pro X but is twice the price of the DT900 Pro X.

When you otherwise love the DT990 then it is cheaper to buy a filter for it:
990-stock-vs-filtered-no-tp.png

And combined with the toilet-paper mod:
dt990-stock-vs-filtered-tp.png

Is a LOT cheaper than buying a new headphone but totally get the idea of wanting something new.

dt900x-vs-dt990pro-250.png
Yeah,its probably better to try the cheap option first. Never heard of paper mod before this day. fAlso, dt990 is so comfy I literally can use it 16h straight without any discomfort. Thanks a lot again

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Top Bottom