• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone USB DAC/Amp without IEC

Roy_L

Which is the best USB DAC/Amp up to ~200$ which is powered only by the USB connection (i.e. does not require a separate wall wart)?

I'm using my laptop as the source and move around the house, so I prefer something easy to move around and connect. I'm currently using the Fiio K3 which is quite nice (via the balanced output for louder volume) but looking to upgrade. I'm considering the new version of the K3 which promises better performance, but wasn't able to find any measurements to back it up. I'm also open to any other idea, but preferably from a reputable manufacturer with some years in the market (I've had terrible experience with Hidiz and topping, for example). I think that a "balanced" output is a must, since the regular (single ended) output almost always feels too weak for my taste. Can anyone recommend? Thanks!

Edit: After some specs reading, it seems that portable DAC/Amps with a battery offer much higher volume capabilities (thanks to the battery I guess). Could this be a good solution?

Last edited:

unpluggged

Qudelix 5K.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit Fulla or Soundblaster G6 in direct mode. The Topping G5 I have delivers a ton of power, but recharging takes a few hours when empty. You can use it while charging, but you'll probably get 4-5 hours solid on the battery depending if you use high gain or not.

Top Bottom