• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade for my Hifiman Arya Stealth, currently using Fiio K5 Pro (non ess version)

Klangverliebt

Hello.

Looking to replace my Fiio K5 Pro because I think, even tho it works just fine in combination with the Arya Stealth, it gives my mind an uneasy feeling due to the different price range both of the products play in (1500€ vs. 175€). Also, I rather would like to have separate units, a dedicated DAC and a Headphone AMP. Budget is between 1,000€ and 1,500€.

Features that I would like to see on the DAC:
- Bluetooth (yes I know..)
- Balanced
- Informative Display
- Remote for Volume etc.

Features on the HAMP:
- XLR Output

Thanks.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hallo! Welcome to ASR :)

Most of us are gear heads here, even though we dont like to admit it always, so we get it.

Here are a few options that comes to my mind.
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS + L70 : my personal recommendation if you can compromise on Bluetooth. With ADI-2 you get a great DAC and all kinds of cool DSP features, and L70 can driver pretty much anything you can throw at it. Between those two you'd have 3.5mm, 6.5mm and 4.4mm and XLR outputs.
  • D70 Pro + A70 Pro : I think they meet all your requirements, although I am not sure exactly as to what qualifies as informative, including pretty displays.

Good luck!

OP
K

Klangverliebt

@IAtaman Thank you! The RME + the 70 Pros were already on my list, I really would like to pick the RME alone for the reason that it is made by a german company (patriotism at its best lol). My only problem is that there is literally not a fitting AMP for it. (Style wise) The D70/A70 Pro stack is absolutely beautiful and on top of my list + it has bluetooth. Maybe I have to wait til RME does a new version with Bluetooth? :facepalm:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, you are not going to hear any difference just by upgrading. But I guess you know it already, it is what it is.

But, RME has the dynamic loudness feature which just might improve your experience, depending on how loud you usual listening volume is.

If you just want to burn some money then the big brother RME ADI-2 Pro FS could also be your choice.

Blorg

If have €1,000-1,500 to spend and you want to upgrade from the Arya Stealth, get the HE1000 Stealth. It's a bit better, smoother. It's slight but it's an actual difference. This is US$1,399 direct from Hifiman (recently reduced from $2,999). You could also ask Hifiman about "upgrading", I believe they do this, they'll let you send in your existing headphone and maybe you get half off in that circumstance, it's quite a big discount.

Changing your amp I really don't think will make any difference. I have the Arya Stealth and had the Fiio K5 Pro (AKM version), I also have the Topping A90 and Fiio K7. I don't have the K5 Pro any more but I'd be hard pressed to think there is any difference.

For much less money on the amp, Fiio K7 BT would do bluetooth and balanced, but not display or remote. Topping DX3 Pro+ would do Bluetooth, display and remote but not balanced. I don't think balanced really makes a difference if you have enough power though, it's mainly just an easy way to get more power.

One thing I did was use the Qudelix 5K as a BT input for the K5 Pro (and now for the K7), this works very well and gives all the EQ options.

Both the Arya Stealth and HE1000 Stealth are not particularly hard to drive so you don't need something with insane power for them. I swapped the K5 Pro for the K7 because it wasn't much price difference and I have a HE6SEV2 which does need the extra power.

The RME has an amp in it which would be more than enough for either the Arya Stealth or the HE1000SE.

Top Bottom