• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Elfsberg

I can't see anything unusual here, but sound engineering practice - stepped baffle for the tweeter, slanted baffles for lower diffraction effects and angled lower woofer for aligning the same distance to the listener as the upper woofer. Yes, not very common, but not unusual at all.
Is this product from GURU loudspeakers designer (I forgot the name)?
Yes, it is designed by Ingvar Öhman.

I have the 2-way (with accompanying bass extensions) with the same drivers, which is somewhat comparable at least SPL wise. The i32s is a closed box speaker designed to use only with subwoofers.

The lower woofer also alters lobing and thus floor and roof reflexions "better" (of course this depends on a number of factors).

Guru Audio is still alive, they've had some serious problems and some bad luck. I expect one or two new models this year.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would not the sharp steps create diffraction problems?

Elfsberg

Would not the sharp steps create diffraction problems?
They might complement specific drivers frequency response and thus overall system performance. These things can and should be calculated. :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How about this for an unusual design:
Too bad he's got them shoved in a corner with hard reflective windows on both sides. :(

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
339781ad-4f80-407e-bab1-0f09cbd4c60d.jpg

I still feel like I must have missed something, but... it actually appears to be sold that way. lol.
https://www.pure-emotion-audio.de/der-lautsprecher/
A cool 100'000 euros. wtf lol.
The description is even better, here an electronic translation of some parts of it:

The wood and the insulation

The loudspeaker is handmade from Swiss stone pine. It is a very light wood and a first-class sound body from which musical instruments are also made. This wood "just sounds".
The positive effects on human well-being have been known for many centuries. With each "breath" of the speaker, high volumes of air are moved through the large reflex openings. In this way, the essential oils of the Swiss stone pine exude a warm vibrating scent in the room.
The insulating material, the inlay, is made of pure organic virgin sheep's wool. It is free of allergens and has the unique ability to filter and sustainably neutralise harmful and irritating substances from the room air, thus ensuring a healthy room climate.

The Megashield

The mains filters, the extremely highly shielded cables, all this is probably part of today's standard. But what about a 115 dB high-mid driver with an ultra-thin diaphragm?
With the world's first driver shielded against any kind of radiation, the highly sensitive transducers are protected. The 6-fold shielding of the Megashield eliminates alpha radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, neutrino radiation (is reduced to 10 ̄ ⁵).
Telephone, mobile phone and radio radiation are also 100 % shielded.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The description is even better, here an electronic translation of some parts of it:

The loudspeaker is handmade from Swiss stone pine. It is a very light wood and a first-class sound body from which musical instruments are also made. This wood "just sounds".
The positive effects on human well-being have been known for many centuries. With each "breath" of the speaker, high volumes of air are moved through the large reflex openings. In this way, the essential oils of the Swiss stone pine exude a warm vibrating scent in the room.
The insulating material, the inlay, is made of pure organic virgin sheep's wool. It is free of allergens and has the unique ability to filter and sustainably neutralise harmful and irritating substances from the room air, thus ensuring a healthy room climate.

The Megashield

The mains filters, the extremely highly shielded cables, all this is probably part of today's standard. But what about a 115 dB high-mid driver with an ultra-thin diaphragm?
With the world's first driver shielded against any kind of radiation, the highly sensitive transducers are protected. The 6-fold shielding of the Megashield eliminates alpha radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, neutrino radiation (is reduced to 10 ̄ ⁵).
Telephone, mobile phone and radio radiation are also 100 % shielded.
Please tell me this is a joke.

Koloth

Its all good guys, I found the wood!
cdf3368f-7d21-4469-bcc0-1aa7de8ac1ce.jpg

tuga

Major Contributor
SOUND|KAOS VOX VOX 3f
– is a remarkable minimalist all solid wood 3-way monitor is a ported design featuring a 100 mm full-range driver with wood fibre membrane and ferrite motor system.
– Two 130 mm custom made bass woofers in a back to back force canceling configuration with 35Hz extension. For HF a custom made RAAL ribbon super tweeter with bronze face plate and 35kHz reach.

59vgfMZ.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SOUND|KAOS VOX VOX 3f
– is a remarkable minimalist all solid wood 3-way monitor is a ported design featuring a 100 mm full-range driver with wood fibre membrane and ferrite motor system.
– Two 130 mm custom made bass woofers in a back to back force canceling configuration with 35Hz extension. For HF a custom made RAAL ribbon super tweeter with bronze face plate and 35kHz reach.

59vgfMZ.jpg
They are beautiful. Why is the tweeter on the top?

Alexium

How about this for an unusual design:

full
I don't understand how this is supposed to work, doesn't the edge right below the tweeter create terrible reflections and diffraction (i. e. jagged response and comb filtering) for the tweeter?

Also, how come the tweeter needs to be delayed by so much? Is this the effect of the crossover phase shift? I thought LR crossover doesn't have such a problem, and there is little reason to use anything but LR if you're going for sound quality.

P. S. The depth of the recession is probably too short for audible waves to reflect off of it, but they will diffract, won't they?

Last edited:

peanuts2

stupid people believe a few cm of physical difference between coils will result in noticeable time delay of part of the signal. so they build it with retarded edges around the tweeter.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand how this is supposed to work, doesn't the edge right below the tweeter create terrible reflections and diffraction (i. e. jagged response and comb filtering) for the tweeter?

Also, how come the tweeter needs to be delayed by so much? Is this the effect of the crossover phase shift? I thought LR crossover doesn't have such a problem, and there is little reason to use anything but LR if you're going for sound quality.

P. S. The depth of the recession is probably too short for audible waves to reflect off of it, but they will diffract, won't they?

This is a response from such a speaker (with the ”shelf”). And the time response.
1667916061780.jpeg

Attachments

• 1667915588536.jpeg
    1667915588536.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom