• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Small in-wall speakers are great, there are some in-wall subwoofers too, but you can't stick 15-inch midbass and horn tweeter in a gypsum drywall. Because of the bulk, it must be in a separate, big enclosure. You can place it to the wall and call it "on-wall" speaker. Or, to save some space, you can make a triangular prism enclosure and put it in the corner, right?
View attachment 94456
Triangular prism loudspeaker enclosure designed for corner placement? So what? Where is the "unusual"?
Well, it is literally a corner loudspeaker! There are only two MDF plates for the whole loudspeaker enclosure - front and top, which are glued directly to the walls in the corner and on the floor also. Front plate has left and right vertical edges cut at 45 degrees, to make good joint with the walls. On the top plate, right in the corner there is a triangular opening acting as a bass-reflex vent. It works well in rooms with hard masonry walls. It is one of my published project for DIY enthusiasts.

There used to be a speaker designed and sold for corner placement - with long walls on each side. I don't recall what he did with "frequency shaping" for that use (or even the brand name), but you might detail what you did.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
There used to be a speaker designed and sold for corner placement - with long walls on each side. I don't recall what he did with "frequency shaping" for that use (or even the brand name), but you might detail what you did.

Larsen? (https://www.larsenhifi.com/)

Larsen-6-speakers.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roy Allison is the guy who made the speaker for corner placement. Allison 3 maybe - that would be fun to measure

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very good perfectly on axis. Very bad when not.
Not in the Stereophile measurements, I was particularly intrigued too and the off axis lateral response was one of the smoothest I have seen in a Stereophile review right up beyond 10kHz.
Not Dutch & Dutch 8C good but surprisingly close and very much more even than, for example, the hundred grand Von Schweikert Ultra 55.
I was surprised, as was @John Atkinson who measured them.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in the Stereophile measurements, I was particularly intrigued too and the off axis lateral response was one of the smoothest I have seen in a Stereophile review right up beyond 10kHz.
Not Dutch & Dutch 8C good but surprisingly close and very much more even than, for example, the hundred grand Von Schweikert Ultra 55.
I was surprised, as was @John Atkinson who measured them.

A bit funky with the vertical response - not sure how that would be perceived (that's where Spinorama can be helpful as a weighted average that includes vertical radiation), but I agree he is on to something with the array.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

noname

horn.jpg

I found another horn speaker with the pillows. Is there any advantage for doing this? or it's just for his cat or dog sleeping there.

Top Bottom