• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

U-Turn Audio is Now Building Speakers - Ethos

silentt29

I see that U-Turn is now in the powered speaker business. They're selling them for $399. As a U-Turn Orbit owner, I'm curious as to how they'll measure.
300WN.jpg

300WN_LG.jpg

JRS

Major Contributor
Another reasonably priced active mini monitor. Interesting that mid-fi is much more accepting (and willing to exploit the advantages) of the coming revolution when almost all speakers will be active/DSP.

SwampYankee

Why use Class AB amplification in these? It's a shame they didn't recess the drivers flush with the baffle.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another reasonably priced active mini monitor. Interesting that mid-fi is much more accepting (and willing to exploit the advantages) of the coming revolution when almost all speakers will be active/DSP.
It will arrive, if and only if, the cost of production is cheaper than passive components.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard HSSSS yet? I haven't not yet heard it in powered speakers. And I have a good use case for some smaller ones.

JRS

Major Contributor
It will arrive, if and only if, the cost of production is cheaper than passive components.
Or when it is simply outclassed at the same price point and your average Joe knows it. I'd say outclassed in this price range has occurred, just a matter of time before average Joe knows it.

And consider that with a pair of rechargeable speakers and a phone, one is ready to go. No wires, no fuss, no muss. That's what I put in the backyard and it sounded good. Just link to Sirius or your favorite streamer playlist, and you have an entire library at your finger tips w/o a single external connector to anything, except the PS used to charge.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't it "all analog signal path" powered speaker paired with a passive speaker? Funny to be preaching about active/DSP revolution here.

JRS

Major Contributor
Isn't it "all analog signal path" powered speaker paired with a passive speaker? Funny to be preaching about active/DSP revolution here.
My bad. I assumed if one were to make a powered speaker, one would use digital XO's. Silly me.

Hiten

I like this company. I came to know about them when they started by crowd funding long back. Probably not top notch audiophile stuff but nice nifty electronics. Their speaker seems to be having class AB amplifier wtih passive crossover. So I doubt it will have any hiss.
Regards.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad. I assumed if one were to make a powered speaker, one would use digital XO's. Silly me.
If it's an active amplifier inside, an active crossover is easily incorporated.

JRS

Major Contributor
If it's an active amplifier inside, an active crossover is easily incorporated.
Of course, and it's a shame they chose not to do so. I can't understand why if adding an amp you would then choose to put it through a passive xover, hence my wrong assumption at the outset. Oh well, opportunity lost to some wooly notion about big coils and caps adding to fidelity.

LearningToSmile

That surround looks beefy, makes the driver look smaller than 4 inch. I'm kinda getting conflicting messaging from their website, on one hand we have
Ethos stays true to the original recording by maintaining perfectly flat frequency response, down to the deepest bass
Which is nice, but then
Ethos utilizes smart acoustic design instead of digital signal processing to accurately reproduce your music. This means no detail is lost along the way.
we have questionable claims like digital = losing details. I guess to be expected from a turntable company.

ta240

Major Contributor

I'm guessing a large percentage of the mid-fi crowd buys them based on convenience and price rather than being part of the coming revolution.

For the Hi-Fi crowd it is less convenient to replace expensive, amps that are functioning perfectly and likely will for decades for new speakers that include amps.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, and it's a shame they chose not to do so. I can't understand why if adding an amp you would then choose to put it through a passive xover, hence my wrong assumption at the outset. Oh well, opportunity lost to some wooly notion about big coils and caps adding to fidelity.
I think there was one main instruction to the designers: make it all analog to go with the turntables. And then they said: make sure it has bluetooth too. Ha ha.

Top Bottom