• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two simultaneous DACs - beginner's question

boxerfan88

Recently I went down the path of integrating my subwoofer with the stereo mains using 2 USB DACs. I did not realize beforehand that running 2 USB (async) DACs is not a good idea, and risk them getting a little out of sync with each other. I know the proper solution is to use a multi-channel DAC like the Topping DM7 where all the DACs are in sync.

Most of my materials are 16/44k1, and I typically detect/hear a the sync problem after about 25-30mins of play time. My current workaround is just to stop/start the playback, and everything gets back in sync.

Do you think if I upsample to 176k, it can help delay the "out of sync" issue even further?

My theory is that with higher data rate, the drift time should be much smaller. Not sure if this makes sense or not.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Recently I went down the path of integrating my subwoofer with the stereo mains using 2 USB DACs. I did not realize beforehand that running 2 USB (async) DACs is not a good idea, and risk them getting a little out of sync with each other. I know the proper solution is to use a multi-channel DAC like the Topping DM7 where all the DACs are in sync.

Most of my materials are 16/44k1, and I typically detect/hear a the sync problem after about 25-30mins of play time. My current workaround is just to stop/start the playback, and everything gets back in sync.

Do you think if I upsample to 176k, it can help delay the "out of sync" issue even further?

My theory is that with higher data rate, the drift time should be much smaller. Not sure if this makes sense or not.
TV and radio studios obviously use loads of ADCs and DACs in parallel. The answer has always been (since the 1980s) to have a master clock for the studio and the site. There are no reasonable alternatives.

If you use a box with more than one DAC, all the DACs will run off the same clock, so will be synchronized.

MCH

Major Contributor
There have been discussions about this recently in the forum. See for instance this and following posts:

Post in thread 'Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...sover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/post-1718741

If I understand well what some knowledgeable members say, if you use a Mac, you can aggregate various USB DACs and get them automatically synced.
Easier than that, get a Motu M4 and problem solved (no remote though + no idea how it works in windows, you could ask in the review thread)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TV and radio studios obviously use loads of ADCs and DACs in parallel. The answer has always been (since the 1980s) to have a master clock for the studio and the site. There are no reasonable alternatives.

If you use a box with more than one DAC, all the DACs will run off the same clock, so will be synchronized.
If you connect to both the DACS via Toslink or SPDIF instead of USB, then the clock will come from the source and the DACS will sync their own clock to that.

This should eliminate any drift.

Top Bottom