• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TVs...

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
What you watch, when and how are important factors. If I was choosing a display for evening movies, with dimmed room lighting, OLED all the way. For daytime TV, sports, gaming etc in a brightly lit environment - QLED might be preferable. I faced this decision 18 months ago and went QLED, but a significant factor was the reduced susceptibility to burn-in (I have young kids, who are very likely to pause a game/movie and walk away for half an hour).

Marc v E

Major Contributor
A 65 inch oled would probably be what I'd get. Good size, slightly bigger than what you have now. And also good prices to boot.

Iirc the C level LG oled type is basically used in all high end models. The only difference being the design of the tv. That same type is used by all manufacturers, although some differentiate themselves by how they handle the panel with software.

Sony are apparently good at motion handling, panasonic at black level, lg has the best value offering and user interface. So what I would do is inform myself with a youtube review by vincent teoh at hdtvtest, and see the top 3 for myself to make a decision.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have a 75 inch LG Nano cell and it is very nice, just a little small. If I buy another one it will be 85 inches or bigger, if they make one bigger. So, go big or don't watch TV. I would not steer you wrong! :)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
FALD LCD, A Sony if I were to upgrade again. Just got a Hi-Sense with ok local dimming and I'm pretty happy. I do notice some flaws in the picture on certain scenes and there is a bit of glowing on whites from the LD.
OLEDs don't get as bright as regular LCDs, 80'' would probably be too big either way.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like others I went with the LG OLED an couple years back and have not regretted it one bit. This site rtings.com is the the ASR for TVs if you want data and to nerd it up. Knock yourself out.

OP
B

buz

Forum Donor
What you watch, when and how are important factors. If I was choosing a display for evening movies, with dimmed room lighting, OLED all the way. For daytime TV, sports, gaming etc in a brightly lit environment - QLED might be preferable. I faced this decision 18 months ago and went QLED, but a significant factor was the reduced susceptibility to burn-in (I have young kids, who are very likely to pause a game/movie and walk away for half an hour).
Relevant point, basically movies and series, no regular TV or sports, can always lower blinds so brightness is not really a big consideration.

The burn-in part is a bit worrying still but alas, no kids.

@Spkrdctr: how far away from the screen are you? Those Nanocell LGs sure give large screens for little money...

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I st about
Relevant point, basically movies and series, no regular TV or sports, can always lower blinds so brightness is not really a big consideration.

The burn-in part is a bit worrying still but alas, no kids.

@Spkrdctr: how far away from the screen are you? Those Nanocell LGs sure give large screens for little money...
I just measured it for you. It is 11 to 12 feet. I can EASILY use an 85 or 90 inch TV. The pictures of these big screens are very nice and crisp. Just 8 years ago, they did not look nearly as good. Just this morning I was thinking how if LG offers a 90 inch big screen like the one I have now, I would be inclined to sell my current TV and jump to the 90 inch. One of the nice things I like about the big screens is that at 75 inches I'm "almost" at life size people in the screen. I like that versus having everything in the picture downsized. I look at a 40 inch screen and think how did I EVER think that looked all that good? Just way too small. Technology has really upped the TV watching game.

Just think when I was a kid, a 25 inch was a big screen tv! The horror!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone else here who refuses to touch "smart" TV's with a 10 foot pole and have any recommendations?

Reactions: EJ3

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone else here who refuses to touch "smart" TV's with a 10 foot pole and have any recommendations?
I recommend getting over your affliction and just connect whatever you want to the inputs of a smart TV. There’s no practical alternative, but the fear is also overblown.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend getting over your affliction and just connect whatever you want to the inputs of a smart TV. There’s no practical alternative, but the fear is also overblown.

There are plenty of things which could be practical alternatives, just no reviews on them.

dshreter

There are plenty of things which could be practical alternatives, just no reviews on them.
The best quality TVs at prices that make sense are all smart TVs though. If you’re serious about it you could get a large computer monitor but that doesn’t seem sensible when you could just get a TV and not connect it to the internet

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
It's pretty near impossible to get anything else for ordinary consumers. There are pro high-end monitors for an order of magnitude higher price but the screen technology is much the same. As long as you don't connect the 'smart' tv to the internet there's no worries really ...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Panasonic TX-65JZ1500, check if they have fixed 4K120 and/or VRR vertical resolution refresh rate problem (HDMI 2.1) if that means a lot to you.

Lambda

Major Contributor
If you use your TV as a big screen to watch movies and selected content go with OLED.
But if your TV is on all the time in the background for hours almost every day go with LCD.

Neddy

I'm also shopping for a new 65/75" - and this thread has been surprisingly helpful - thanks to all, esp the OP for asking!
Unfortunately my budget is more like $1k, but I'm still using my old sony projector for 120" movies, and like it (for now) just fine for night movies, but conserving $$ for eventual replacement of it IS a thing, too. (It's nearly dead silent for most scenes, BTW.)
My biggest problem is that -for using as a music server running JRiver - I can't quite make out text w/o glasses or binocs (!) on the (crappy $150) 55" screen I have currently, and would like to have better readability for that use, so a bigger, brighter screen is in order.
Most of use will be daytime PC plus a little OTA TV, and occasional movies in a very bright sunny room (when the sun is shining and it's not -20F out).
So the comment about the LG Nano Cell have surprised me, and will look harder at those options.
I had my heart set on an OLED screen, but now wonder if it's 'too much' (ie too fine for test readability)for this purpose.
PS. The screen size is roughtly limited to the size of my subwoofer, since it's on a lift that hides it behind that most of the time, and the projector (1080i) displays on the 15' wide ScreenGoo wall behind it:)
Viewng listening distance is 10-12'.
I'm still running a Panny plasma in the bedroom and it's STILL fine, tho black levels have gone up a tad, tho electric/'heater' costs are getting more and more noticeable as I tighten down on other elecrtric uses!
Another option to consider I suppose is to 'stage' a handmedown process, where I get an "ok" 65 for the movie/music room, but eventually move that to replace the Panny when OLED prices get 'more affordable'....

Sorry, mostly rambling, other than curious about what others might have found about PC text readability on large 4k format OLED vs LED/LCD screens.

Thanks!!!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is viewing angle, not an issue with OLED or if you are always watching from a bed in bedroom. If trying to save money or buying a TV on a budget there are many LED TVs that have great picture quality, but if room is wide and viewers are near the sides a lot LED TVs start to gray out at wide angles. So when auditioning to buy, progressively step to side of screen and see what happens on few brands.

Top Bottom