• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TVs...

buz

Forum Donor
[mods please move or delete if too offtopic]

Contemplating to get a new TV (got a really old 60" Sharp LCD). For set budget (probably 2K but not really decided yet), would you (in parentheses likely size at 2K):
  • Get the biggest TV you can? That will probably mean regular Edge LED LCD (86")
  • A mid-level LCD (Quantom dots or some such) (80ish ")
  • FALD LCD (not sure)
  • The biggest OLED you can find (possibly 75" when there is a sale?)
  • High-end OLED (?)
FWIW, viewing distance 4-5 meters but in older times I've been known to use a 2m screen with a 720p projector at 3m distance (before that, SVGA with 1.5m screen). Please don't suggest projectors, there's NFW I will deal with the noise ever again. Audio will be 4 Kef R3, R2c plus some yet to be determined sub.

Golfx

Forum Donor
[mods please move or delete if too offtopic]

Contemplating to get a new TV (got a really old 60" Sharp LCD). For set budget (probably 2K but not really decided yet), would you (in parentheses likely size at 2K):
  • Get the biggest TV you can? That will probably mean regular Edge LED LCD (86")
  • A mid-level LCD (Quantom dots or some such) (80ish ")
  • FALD LCD (not sure)
  • The biggest OLED you can find (possibly 75" when there is a sale?)
  • High-end OLED (?)
FWIW, viewing distance 4-5 meters but in older times I've been known to use a 2m screen with a 720p projector at 3m distance (before that, SVGA with 1.5m screen). Please don't suggest projectors, there's NFW I will deal with the noise ever again. Audio will be 4 Kef R3, R2c plus some yet to be determined sub.
Right now OLED rules for quality. Not sure you can find a 77inch for 2k though. Best Buy offers side by side comparisons if you are here in the US. I have LG C9 2019 moving up from 65 inch Sony 4k. It was a huge positive diffence. I use crutchfiled for online purchases because of their 60 day return and lifetime tech advice.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OLED hands down. We went from an old LCD to the LG C9 OLED two years ago and the difference is amazing.

Reactions: JRS

Fillius

Forum Donor
Another vote for OLED from me, there's no way I'd go back after having one for 3-4 years.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went with your first choice: Get the biggest TV you can?

I bought a LeEco uMax 85” 4k Dolby Vision TV three years ago and am very happy with my choice. It replaced a Panasonic 135” HD projection setup that replaced a Panasonic ZT series 65” plasma which replaced a Pioneer Kuro 50” plasma which replaced a Sony 36” HD CRT.

Today, I’d probably look at the big Sony or Samsung sets. I would not rule out LG or Hisense either.

Martin

Tatr76

Second HDTVTest on youtube, he also does good vids on what type to get based on main usage and what brands for said scenario. Sometimes spending more can result in worse picture say if watching mainly movies but buy something aimed at gaming and fast refresh. I just picked up Sony A80j 65 inch, not the latest (A90j) but under 2k and nearly as good. Very happy with it.

JRS

Major Contributor
I'd probably stay away from bottom drawer OLED as there is the old expression about getting what you pay for. I believe I would want the high end 65 OLED and view from about six feet. A high end 75 likley goona cost more than 2k. Speaking of K, I'd go with 4k for now. Even 1080 is so bloody good, the 4K isn't night and day different at all. Maybe something akin to something like 320 MP3 vs FLAC but I haven't seen that much native 4k material so happy to retract that opinion if someone here says differently. But I'd still doubtany real diff beween 8k vs 4k.

Other other thing to consider is sports, if you watch a lot, the higher end may do speedy things better. I've read that QLED has more accurate colors, but to me less important than real black, once experienced there aint no going back. Seriously. It's a gobsmack. Enjoy! I was entranced for like months.

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
Another vote for OLED from me, there's no way I'd go back after having one for 3-4 years.
Indeed, first one was a 55 maybe years ago, damn. I wouldn't bother with anything else either: they blew my Panny Plasmas out of the water in a really dark viewing situation, they cannot be seen.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I'd probably stay away from bottom drawer OLED as there is the old expression about getting what you pay for. I believe I would want the high end 65 OLED and view from about six feet. A high end 75 likley goona cost more than 2k. Speaking of K, I'd go with 4k for now. Even 1080 is so bloody good, the 4K isn't night and day different at all. Maybe something akin to something like 320 MP3 vs FLAC but I haven't seen that much native 4k material so happy to retract that opinion if someone here says differently. Ut I'd still doubt 8k vs 4k.

Other other thing to consider is sports, if you watch a lot, the higher end may do speedy things better. I've read that QLED has more accurate colors, but to me less important than real black, once experienced there aint no going back. Seriously. It's a gobsmack. Enjoy! I was entranced for like months.

That's a good caveat. Avoid the bottom barrel OLED models. May need to stretch the budget a bit but I'd take a hard look at the 65" LG G1.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At your viewing distance I'd say go biggest screen. Even then you will perceive nearly no difference in 1080HD and 4K. OTOH, as others have said the OLED and just being better at what it does will make them have a better picture.

I'll also mention, and you can ignore, but some projectors have the noise much reduced over a few years ago. For movies to me the much larger pictures makes movies more immersive in a way no smaller screen can do even if it is an OLED which have much higher real world contrast and better in most ways vs a projector. That is as long as the projector has decent color accuracy I still side with the bigger picture size. I also would say if you use it for sports, the bigger screen is better and sports broadcasts are so well lit max contrast doesn't much effect the results.

dshreter

You can get a 77” OLED on sale around $2000. LG C series and up is generally the way to go.

Here’s an example.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
You can get a 77” OLED on sale around $2000. LG C series and up is generally the way to go.

Here’s an example.

How in the world?
LG C1 77" retails for CDN$4000 in Canada.
My friend picked it up for around CDN$3700.

How is it US$2000?
I guess I'm moving to the states. o_O

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Here’s an example.

That’s some “LG Partners” special. I don’t know who’s in it, but neither my firm nor my wife’s university hospital are.

dshreter

That’s some “LG Partners” special. I don’t know who’s in it, but neither my firm nor my wife’s university hospital are.
I’m not sure how difficult that deal is to get. But I see LG 77” on sale frequently, though more often around $2200-$2500. Either way, it’s what I would get with my money.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure how difficult that deal is to get. But I see LG 77” on sale frequently, though more often around $2200-$2500. Either way, it’s what I would get with my money.

Ditto. We’re considering maybe getting something bigger, but it would need to look as good as our current 55” LG OLED. Which means a bigger OLED.

raif71

Major Contributor
Our next tv for the family will be a C9 LG Oled @65" if our current LED LG LM7600 55" goes kaput. Currently the LM7600 is still good. :)

OP
B

buz

Forum Donor

Here’s an example.

That's the one I had in mind. It was on sale for 2K CHF locally (including VAT so comparable to 2K USD before tax) for a while and since bounced back to 2.5K. At that rate, willing to go OLED. If it means 65" only, probably not.

As a rule, I skip new resolutions for 5 years or so. Content is *never* there. So 8K is out. Might eventually get 8K for my office if I can find a laptop that drives it...

OP
B

buz

Forum Donor
I'll also mention, and you can ignore, but some projectors have the noise much reduced over a few years ago.
It's not just noise (my Epson was 26db in eco mode which still didn't love, the InFocus before that was 35db or something), it's also highly annoying setup wise, having to run HDMI to the ceiling etc. UST might be better there, have not really ever looked into those.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to buy an OLED this year, can't decide if I want an A80j, C1 or even a B1. I may just go with a B1 which lists right now on the LG site for $1200. Not a gamer so none of that stuff matters. Just want it for movies and sports tv. Perhaps the B1 will dip even lower after Jan 1st, and then I'll pounce.

Top Bottom