• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally binged this one. Special resonance as a now-Chicagoean who loves the restaurant scene here. Nice to see the avec folks playing themselves, for example.

Soundtrack is pitch perfect too: Wilco, Pearl Jam, R.E.M. - especially love how they wove “Strange Currencies” into the story.
It is very well soundtracked. Discovered a couple of gems from it too.. Someone made a playlist of all the first 2 seasons.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5xOv02cSdYIkENv5p6Yl4q?si=_DQsuMULSoWG5Su85QWVMw&pi=e-1LF_k6KmRESe

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ob1

Forum Donor
If you haven't seen it already, "Breaking Bad" is the best TV series ever made IMO. And I can't think of a close 2nd.
I have enjoyed Breaking Bad and get your recommendation. Personally, some aspects of the narrative did not seem to make sense and/or were not sufficiently exploited, mainly the relationship of the two main protagonists. Given it is a series and they had ample time, it did not make much sense to me, but I have nevertheless enjoyed it. Just would not rate it as the best. In an effort not to spoil, I will not elaborate. Still, very worth watching.

What I have found extremely satisfying was watching Giri/Haji. I have found it visually striking, captivating, realistic, different yet approachable. I have never seen anything like it and consider it amongst the best movies/series I have ever watched, say definitely a top 10 in my book.

Certainly not as accomplished, yet very fun to watch, that is if you enjoy black humor, was Spotless. I mention it mainly because it is probably not that well known and may have passed under the radar of many....

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
This may have come up previously, but I'm enjoying this: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/slow_horses

1705085444564.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Monsieur Spade" (Sunday, 2100Hours, AMC/+, Acorn)...
Something about the "Maltese Falcon" and something about Humphrey Bogart... Meh...:confused:
This time around, it is Clive Owen and I really like him enjoy his performances as an actor.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hear you :). The Blacklist is worth watching especially if you can go to original pilot episode.

p12995016_b_v8_aa.jpg
One of Amazon's best series that, was gutted when I completed it. Incidentally, programming seems to have really taken a dive since the last few years, rarely find anything worth a watch on there now.

007Shortz

"Inspired by real events, a teen reports and eventually recants her reported rape, while two female detectives, states away, investigate evidence that could reveal the truth. Based on The Marshall Project and ProPublica Pulitzer Prize-winning article, "An Unbelievable Story of Rape," written by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong, and the This American Life radio episode, “Anatomy of Doubt”, with episodes directed by Oscar nominees Susannah Grant and Lisa Cholodenko, "Unbelievable" is a story of unspeakable trauma, unwavering tenacity, and astounding resilience."

"Hands down the best Netflix series I've ever watched. Literally everything: the story, the cast, the cinematography was just absolute perfection."

"Started watching the first episode yesterday with low expectations. Ended up finishing the whole season in one sitting. I just couldn't stop. Oh man, it was an emotional roller-coaster of disbelief, anger and sadness."

"Man that first episode was tough to watch. I had to keep stopping it to calm down."

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Inspired by real events, a teen reports and eventually recants her reported rape, while two female detectives, states away, investigate evidence that could reveal the truth. Based on The Marshall Project and ProPublica Pulitzer Prize-winning article, "An Unbelievable Story of Rape," written by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong, and the This American Life radio episode, “Anatomy of Doubt”, with episodes directed by Oscar nominees Susannah Grant and Lisa Cholodenko, "Unbelievable" is a story of unspeakable trauma, unwavering tenacity, and astounding resilience."

"Hands down the best Netflix series I've ever watched. Literally everything: the story, the cast, the cinematography was just absolute perfection."

"Started watching the first episode yesterday with low expectations. Ended up finishing the whole season in one sitting. I just couldn't stop. Oh man, it was an emotional roller-coaster of disbelief, anger and sadness."

"Man that first episode was tough to watch. I had to keep stopping it to calm down."
I've seen that and it is excellent. It also is truly unbelievable that it happened. And tragic that it did. I first heard it on This American Life.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Started watching Loudermilk on Netflix. Pretty good.
The latest news reporting seems to indicate that 'cord-cutting' fever has hit reality (unintended consequences).
Most streaming customers are getting gouged, as has always been the case with cable service providers.
One stat I recently saw stated that the nationwide of cost (regardless of the type (cable/streaming)) is about $250 range, for our insatiable appetite for "TV".

Hooligan Bastards are an invasive species, which readily adapt their shenanigans according to the current time$.:mad:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Started watching Loudermilk on Netflix. Pretty good.
I just finished it. Some of it is quite entertaining and funny. Another off beat comedy on Netflix is Fisk. Might or might not be your cup of tea. About a somewhat less than stellar Australian attorney or I guess they call them solicitors.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received an alert, right above the top of this tread, which states:
202403_DRMmyMiddleFinger.jpg

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is technology that enables online video and audio services to enforce that the content they provide is used in accordance with their requirements. This technology may restrict some of the things you can do in the browser. Many services are moving towards HTML5 video that requires a different DRM mechanism called a Content Decryption Module (CDM).
Lovely! Just #$%@ lovely!:mad:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same on Linux and Win11. Works fine. I do have uBlock Origin. Don't know if that would make a difference. Would think not.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same on Linux and Win11. Works fine. I do have uBlock Origin. Don't know if that would make a difference. Would think not.
It appears to be a built-in part of the new FF version that was just updated this morning on my system.
202403_DRMmyMiddleFinger2.jpg

Top Bottom