• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trouble with Dirac Live and lack of bass after correction

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes. I did this with the Dirac curve before measurement since it was mentioned earlier in this thread. Only from 28 to 40. But will do the rest. Thanks btw.

Your setting of target curve in the region of 28-40Hz (circled violet) is a big no-no as you are pushing speakers above their natural roll-off. You should set the target curve exactly as drawn with red line and measure what you will get.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
@QMuse Hello. Did change the curve as best as I could. I did another with more boost (dl-curve-line-boosted.jpg) to hear any differences. However none of these changes did anything with the clarity and detail problem that happens when Dirac is enabled. We did manage to control the bass, but when it comes to clarity etc it just fails. Dirac is also forcing the boosted curve from 10 to 37Hz. So I start my curve from 37Hz to avoid this. I think this was what you guys told me to do. Another thing is that Dirac changes the sound from 500Hz til 20k but I'm not allowed to correct anything. I might be wrong, but my guess is that this is happening since I experience the lack of details and clarity.

Anyway I did some research about Dirac related to my issues. Took a screenshot from the impulse response.
From Dirac: "A loudspeaker’s impulse response affects clarity, detail and all spatial aspects of the sound. Dirac Live is unique in that it actually corrects the impulse response throughout the listening area, not just at a single point. By focusing on consistent problems across the measurement positions and correcting only these anomalies, Dirac Live can achieve a faster decay time. Typically, the power ratio between the direct wave and the tail (later-arriving echoes) is improved by 6 dB or more, representing a vastly improved overall sound."

And this is where my problem is right now... so if impulse response is related to 500Hz and above and I'm not allowed to change anything, then I'm stuck.

When it comes to the impulse reponse, why does Dirac move the whole chart and not matching the measurements? I thought they should line up. My speaker can't do anything from 10Hz to 35-40Hz anyway, so I cant get my head around this :/

dl-curve-line.jpg

dl-curve-line-boosted.jpg

dl-impulse-response.jpg

QMuse

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what 2nd graph represents. I'll take 1st graph is your uncorrected response and your target curve?

I don't think you should worry about response from 10-37Hz as it follows natural roll-off of your speakers. You definitely shouldn't worry about different offset in timing in impulse responses.

Does 2nd graph show your predicted response when correction is limited to 500Hz? If that is so I suggest you let it go a little further to fix that dip around 500Hz.

I also suggets you do your control measurement with REW using RTA MMM from LP to see the real response with DIrac filters.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I'm not sure what 2nd graph represents. I'll take 1st graph is your uncorrected response and your target curve?

I don't think you should worry about response from 10-37Hz as it follows natural roll-off of your speakers. You definitely shouldn't worry about different offset in timing in impulse responses.

Does 2nd graph show your predicted response when correction is limited to 500Hz? If that is so I suggest you let it go a little further to fix that dip around 500Hz.

I also suggets you do your control measurement with REW using RTA MMM from LP to see the real response with DIrac filters.
Image 1 is the corrected graph with your recommended curve. Also limited to 500hz, but showing the whole curve to compare your curve.

image 2 is more hot/dB to see if there was any difference and raised about 4db til 500hz, I’m not able to fix the dip around 500 because of the limitations.

10 to 37hz. If you look at image 2, the two lines above the curve is what Dirac is correcting. Isn’t that too far away from the natural speaker curve in the same area? It refuses to align with the curve that is following the speaker.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Buy the full version

QMuse

Major Contributor
Image 1 is the corrected graph with your recommended curve. Also limited to 500hz, but showing the whole curve to compare your curve.

image 2 is more hot/dB to see if there was any difference and raised about 4db til 500hz, I’m not able to fix the dip around 500 because of the limitations.

10 to 37hz. If you look at image 2, the two lines above the curve is what Dirac is correcting. Isn’t that too far away from the natural speaker curve in the same area? It refuses to align with the curve that is following the speaker.

Dirac Live's predicted curves are not to be considered. You should compare your own REW measurements before and after the correction.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Just a little update. I’ve been doing some Dirac testing to see why the clarity disappears. So what I found out is that doing more than 1 measurement decreased the clarity of the sound. I have an untreated room with windows, concrete walls front and back. I believe it’s hard for Dirac to correct the sound when my room is so bad.

Anyway the amp is going back to the store, not because of the sound and Dirac stuff, but some features I’m missing.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the RZ50 and have a pretty good curve but want to try to Harman +6 curve. I've tried to find a post on the net explaining how to add the curve. Can someone explain how to implement the Harman curves? I've downloaded all of them from Youthman's site.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the RZ50 and have a pretty good curve but want to try to Harman +6 curve. I've tried to find a post on the net explaining how to add the curve. Can someone explain how to implement the Harman curves? I've downloaded all of them from Youthman's site.
Save the curve you want, then go to menu>load target curve. Most will do the target curve the same for all groups....
That should be it...

1671319936337.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Harman file will alter the existing DL file?
After you import the target curve you will have to recalculate to apply the target curve and then save/name it to one of the slots on your receiver/processor.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I got it. I had the existing DL file open, then loaded the Harman target curve and DL recalculated. So far I haven't noticed a huge difference between the 2 profiles but haven't had much time to compare. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom