• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TotalDAC USB cable/filter - Teardown

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I am ashamed to be an European citizen seeing this. Sorry rest of the world. My god my wife has a French car is it really that bad with French products.
Anecdote: Back in the mid-1990s, I invented the modern synthetic wine cork. As part of our market research, I knew better than to ask, "What do you think of plastic corks?" but instead asked, "Are corks and cork taint a problem for you?"

American winemakers: "It's a huge problem, we have about a 5% failure rate!"
French winemakers: "It's no big deal, maybe 5% failure rate. And it's not our problem, it's the customers' problem."

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Seriously... I don't want to be evil, but damn, it just seems so easy. I wonder how many people buy some of these things.
Look at the "BYBEE Quantum Clarifier". It's literally a 2in block of wood with a magnet attached to it (as far as I can tell) for $100. Okay, according to this review, maybe there's some rocks in there too:

LMFAO!
Special crystals... as opposed to ordinary crystals. :rolleyes:

For years, Jensen had a line of speaker drivers called Special Design. I don't know what was special about their design, especially as they were regular, and pretty ordinary, Jensen drivers. ;)

nxcrasyvfmkypuh864xd.jpg

jschwender

This week I received a TotalDAC USB cable/filter from a friend who was throwing it out. He was happy to let me have it to try out and take apart.
I tested the TotalDAC USB cable/filter with a Chord Mojo (data only), Schiit Fula (data + Power) and a Hidizs S8 (power+Data). I had my eldest son swap between the TotalDAC USB cable/filter and a plain cheap Rino USB cable from amazon. Sometimes he swapped the Rino out and the Rino back in and sometimes swapped in the TotalDAC USB cable/filter. All of this was blind to me. I could hear no difference and couldn't tell which cable was been used each time.

Getting in to the box was a pain due to the epoxy/resin on the screws. Once chipped out, it was easy with bench drill to drill out the screws.
The soldering looks pretty poorly done, with flux everywhere. Also the USB cable was damaged where it must have been crushed by the box.

More details of the USB cable/filter can be found at http://www.totaldac.com/cables-eng.htm cost is 360euros incl VAT in Europe.

View attachment 176276

View attachment 176277

View attachment 176278

View attachment 176279

View attachment 176280
Nothing in there has ever any verifyable function. Overvoltage between cable cores do not occur in operation. Those are used to protect from damage in case of overload. 5V supply capacitors within the cable do nothing as there are enough capacitors on both ends of the transmission line. If these small black pills are ferrite beads, those are so tiny small that they have inductance close to zero, so no effect at all. Even if they were large enough: for common mode filtering they need to include ground, and this is not the case. This device sells based on the fact, that people don't understand digital transmission and why signal distortion on a digital transmission is a digital problem: As long as these distortions stay under a threshold level, the receiver can do 100% restauration. If it exceeds it, transmission gets interrupted.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Look at the "BYBEE Quantum Clarifier"
I really really really wish I didn't click that link to the BYBEE web site. That was a soul draining experience..... o_O

BYBEE – ACTIVE ROOM NEUTRALIZERS (ARNs)
Introduced to the Bybee product line in 2017, these Active Room Neutralizers are a compliment to owners of the passive Room Neutralizers; or they can be tried on their own with great results. Each ARN is engineered with Bybee proprietary technology and have a 2-prong US plug attached to six feet of cord. They can be plugged into any electrical outlet. EU users can use a plug adapter on the units without problems, as the units do not draw a current. They are designed to activate the internal technology with energy rather than current, thus creating both an electric and magnetic field. When activated the units effect the air molecules in the room, rendering them compliant to sound waves. The results are astounding, with improved resolution, sound stage and overall musicality. Listening room issues prior to installation of the ARNs are nearly obsolete.

Recommended placement of 2 ARNs is 4′ – 5′ from ground directly behind speakers. They can be hidden behind curtains, artwork, furniture, etc, without effecting their performance. Each listening room and system is unique, therefore users should experiment with placements to discover best positioning of the ARNs. Each position change of the ARNs produces changes to sound.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"The units do not draw a current" That is really seriously impressive technology. I wonder what the cord is for.:facepalm::facepalm:

wwenze

Major Contributor
Guess this and that black brick dissection video just prove one thing, in the arms race between scientific experimentation and complete spewing of BS, BS is just too easy to spew and create and there is too many of them.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Hand soldering... always worse looking than machine reflow. But so what, if its functionally correct? Machine soldering... makes sense if your making many 1000's or millions. Very cheap. Building a couple hundred or less, not so.

Mass produced, could possibly do it for $10-20, but do you wanna drop $100k to have 10k made to try and make more than your money back? Hey, there's ASR out there! :)

What are you going on about?

If am doing more than a couple of anything we will manually place and "machine" solder. With the low number of components on this board that may make sense up to a 100 or so. Any more than that and you pay someone to assemble them especially with the markup on this.

The $100K number is ridiculous.

----------
Zeners are single junction devices. TVS are multijunction devices.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
If these small black pills are ferrite beads, those are so tiny small that they have inductance close to zero, so no effect at all.

Even if they were large enough: for common mode filtering they need to include ground, and this is not the case.

This device sells based on the fact, that people don't understand digital transmission

Ferrite beads are for high frequency i.e. 10-1000Mhz

The ground for common mode filtering is often a parasitic connection. You don't need a hard ground.

JonP

What are you going on about?

If am doing more than a couple of anything we will manually place and "machine" solder. With the low number of components on this board that may make sense up to a 100 or so. Any more than that and you pay someone to assemble them especially with the markup on this.
Sounds like what I was going on about.

Hand assembly makes sense for small batches, even though its costly Only when the numbers get large are you able to use fully automated assembly and get a large reduction in per unit cost. It's the overhead with the latter that you need to balance out with volume, is what I was saying.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Sounds like what I was going on about.

Hand assembly makes sense for small batches, even though its costly Only when the numbers get large are you able to use fully automated assembly and get a large reduction in per unit cost. It's the overhead with the latter that you need to balance out with volume, is what I was saying.
Small batches? The subcontractors can help you.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Interesting Ambivalence in this forum:
The horrendously bad soldering in the Topping amp is ok Because only the Measured performance matters.

With this Small batch thing (that no one has measured?! ) now everyone complains about the soldering.

. I could hear no difference and couldn't tell which cable was been used each time.
This is like pouring water through a sieve and saying you taste no difference.

Noisy USB ports are a thing and even <100€ DACs are not all immune to it or even isolated.
So if you can't reproduce it how can you test it?

One could Measure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattering_parameters

Not saying this thing is "worth" what it costs or effektive but it is surely doping something*.
*also not saying what it dose is necessarily good.

uwotm8

I tested the TotalDAC USB cable/filter with a Chord Mojo (data only), Schiit Fula (data + Power) and a Hidizs S8 (power+Data)
It requires 24 to 72 hours to burn-in and fit into system after reconnection.
Do you believe that such a respectable company would sell a snake oil?
Just burn it in (no refunds) lol

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It requires 24 to 72 hours to burn-in and fit into system after reconnection.
Are you serious :facepalm:? What physical mechanism explains this burn-in?
Do you believe that such a respectable company would sell a snake oil?
Absolutely yes! We already proved they sell a 10 euro badly assembled product for 38x times as much. Not sure what else they are capable of…

uwotm8

Not sure what else they are capable of…
Well now check old but gold 47labs amplifiers, Shigaraki as example (2000 euro)

I've heard a clone of their higher model, the Gaincard. Sounded like a garbage overall BUT pretty detailed/transparent in some areas. There definitely was a different sound compared to "normal" brand amp. No measurements sorry.

Attachments

• 47labs02_270504.jpg
    47labs02_270504.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 113
  • img48ade2dbaaaec.jpg
    img48ade2dbaaaec.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 3ec634ee77aba86ed142d1797c655bb7--high-end-audio-audio-design.jpg
    3ec634ee77aba86ed142d1797c655bb7--high-end-audio-audio-design.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 119
  • shagiraki_dac2.jpg
    shagiraki_dac2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0058kicsi.jpg
    DSCF0058kicsi.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Interesting Ambivalence in this forum:
The horrendously bad soldering in the Topping amp is ok Because only the Measured performance matters.

With this Small batch thing (that no one has measured?! ) now everyone complains about the soldering.

What amp? The PA5? Had no idea the soldering was bad in those. Example?

But yeah, bad soldering is bad soldering. Can't imagine people would give Topping products a free pass.

Top Bottom