• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Total Newbie needing a lot of help!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Buying a record player is not a trivial matter. We are, after all, talking a technology that peaked in the 1970s and '80s, largely relies on mechanical engineering and manufacturing quality that was well-understood even then (and has not gotten cheaper to anything near the same degree that electronics have) and has rarely atracted substantial R&D budgets since. IMHO, few players in an actually affordable price range are even as good as a decent midrange deck from 35-40 years ago, and the intricate high-tech wonders of the 1980s (high-end Denons, Sony Biotracers, higher-end linear trackers etc.) are generally without peers.

Try even finding a quartz-locked direct drive these days... Technics has gotten back into the game (and they're not super cheap) but other than that things are pretty dire. Instead, we are getting low-tech belt drive wonders like those from Pro-Ject (have they finally fixed the motor noise problem in the Debut or do you still have to go the DIY route?) where even changing speed can be an ordeal, and even the common "Super OEM" a.k.a. Hanpin OEM'd players (a lot of the direct drive Technics clone DJ stuff) have drawn some criticism for sloppy tonearm bearings and their rumble specs aren't exactly too awe-inspiring (you wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a turntable bearing right - rumble >55 dB DIN B weighted, really? it is rare to find a player from the 1980s that isn't rated around 70 dB at least). I guess several Dual CSxxx are solid enough for what they are (midrange belt drive jobs), though not that cheap and only moderately high-tech.

The Rega Planar 2 seems to be solid enough but do keep in mind it's one of those low-tech jobs where you even have to move the drive belt between the 33 and 45 rpm positions on the motor pulley after removing the platter.

Now buying a used player is not easy either - they're far from as cheap as they used to be, they are decades old so may be in need of some maintenance (both trivial and non-trivial), and unless the seller is a pro at packaging them you better be able to pick it up in person, as shipping one without the proper precautions will end in tears. It certainly can't hurt to hit the local classifieds and see what you can find. I would prefer having a pitch adjustment and strobe available if it's not a quartz-locked affair (performing a speed adjustment can be a bit fiddly but is generally possible with a RPM app or a strobe disc that you can find online and print out).

And that's just the player, without sorting out the rest of the system. If you just need a basic integrated amplifier with standard 47kOhm / 220 pF MM phonopre that's still fairly easy to come by, any more extravagant wishes make it harder. As for speakers, I would look up what e.g. a pair of Elac DBR62s would cost (they're about 500€ the pair over here), that should leave 200-ish pounds for a fairly decent basic integrated amp even new (or not too old)... Yamaha A-S301 or something. Other speakers I might look at... KEF Q150, Wharfedale Diamond 4.2, Dali Oberon 3.

Note: For live playback, vibration isolation for the record player becomes important. If yours doesn't have a subchassis (I think some Dual models still do), it's not too tragic, setting the player on a slab of concrete or similar with halved tennis balls underneath should generally sort that out. The dust cover also is best left open or removed.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad I picked up an SL1210 about 15 years ago and put a new OEM tonearm on it. I'm not crazy about most of the turntables being sold today. Miss me with the MDF sheets and arms without a lift mechanism.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you need to switch between 33 and 45? If you do, you may want something that has a switch.

I almost decided on a Rega but I was not sure about the changing pulley thing.

That said, I use my turntable (Denon DP-400) only as a toy. To me, the SQ is simply atrocious. Perhaps my records are just bad but I can't image vinyl being able to get anywhere close to digital regardless of money.

I slightly regretted the purchase. At least I should have bought something that looks more interesting, like the Pro-ject RPM.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This looks like fun and ought to track lightly enough for even the good vinyl, but it's not cheap and you're playing $ for faders you might not care about:
http://www.headachesound.com/omnifeatures

Granted, there are limitations, like a short tonearm (more distortion due to tracing error) but OTOH, it's portable, and needs no additional amplifier or speakers. Numark PT01's another fun one and inexpensive, though much more basic in it's stock form. Here's someone who came up with ingenious mods which retain most of the stock parts:

OP
J

Jeannie66

I think really expensive vinyl playback gear is great if that's what you want but not justifiable from a listening point of view. Vinyl is intrinsically very limited in terms of dynamic range, distortion, cross-talk, noise and speed stability and you'll get about as much out of your vinyl as can be had for $1000 all in. Spending a lot more will get you fancy gear that you might enjoy owning, playing with, bragging about and showing off, which is all great if that's what you like, but it won't make much difference to the listening.

Personally, I choose a TT based on features. I like an automatic or semi-automatic so I don't need to get up off the couch when the side ends or I can depart the room without worring about leaving it on. And of manual players I would choose sturdy DJ TTs over the delicate British-style belt-drives with their low-mass arms. But these are practical personal preferences and it will all sound about the same so long as the gear is working properly since the limitation to what you can hear is backed into the medium.

OP
J

Jeannie66

I think really expensive vinyl playback gear is great if that's what you want but not justifiable from a listening point of view. Vinyl is intrinsically very limited in terms of dynamic range, distortion, cross-talk, noise and speed stability and you'll get about as much out of your vinyl as can be had for $1000 all in. Spending a lot more will get you fancy gear that you might enjoy owning, playing with, bragging about and showing off, which is all great if that's what you like, but it won't make much difference to the listening.

Personally, I choose a TT based on features. I like an automatic or semi-automatic so I don't need to get up off the couch when the side ends or I can depart the room without worring about leaving it on. And of manual players I would choose sturdy DJ TTs over the delicate British-style belt-drives with their low-mass arms. But these are practical personal preferences and it will all sound about the same so long as the gear is working properly since the limitation to what you can hear is backed into the medium.
Thanks I really am being given food for thought. I’ve been giving loads of options here I think some of the other places I was trying to get information where snobs about the price you where paying for systems. Yes I totally understand vinyl is a total different medium & will never sound as good as multi media. I just want something that won’t skip on my records , just enough them again.

OP
J

Jeannie66

Do you need to switch between 33 and 45? If you do, you may want something that has a switch.

I almost decided on a Rega but I was not sure about the changing pulley thing.

That said, I use my turntable (Denon DP-400) only as a toy. To me, the SQ is simply atrocious. Perhaps my records are just bad but I can't image vinyl being able to get anywhere close to digital regardless of money.

I slightly regretted the purchase. At least I should have bought something that looks more interesting, like the Pro-ject RPM.
I’ve actually been looking at the project as you just need to switch your speed by button so even though the rega does seem to pip it at the post in reviews. I don’t think I would notice the subtle chances because it’s been so long since I listened to my vinyl. I do have a lot of 45’s as well do think this could be a good option

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not just get the Project on approval? Will dealers there do that?

I don't know about mail order options in Ireland either, but that might work.

curiouspeter

I’ve actually been looking at the project as you just need to switch your speed by button so even though the rega does seem to pip it at the post in reviews. I don’t think I would notice the subtle chances because it’s been so long since I listened to my vinyl. I do have a lot of 45’s as well do think this could be a good option
Only some Pro-jects have the switch. Usually they have the "SB" designation.

I think you may have to dismantle the platter to change speed with the Rega.

OP
J

Jeannie66

Buying a record player is not a trivial matter. We are, after all, talking a technology that peaked in the 1970s and '80s, largely relies on mechanical engineering and manufacturing quality that was well-understood even then (and has not gotten cheaper to anything near the same degree that electronics have) and has rarely atracted substantial R&D budgets since. IMHO, few players in an actually affordable price range are even as good as a decent midrange deck from 35-40 years ago, and the intricate high-tech wonders of the 1980s (high-end Denons, Sony Biotracers, higher-end linear trackers etc.) are generally without peers.

Try even finding a quartz-locked direct drive these days... Technics has gotten back into the game (and they're not super cheap) but other than that things are pretty dire. Instead, we are getting low-tech belt drive wonders like those from Pro-Ject (have they finally fixed the motor noise problem in the Debut or do you still have to go the DIY route?) where even changing speed can be an ordeal, and even the common "Super OEM" a.k.a. Hanpin OEM'd players (a lot of the direct drive Technics clone DJ stuff) have drawn some criticism for sloppy tonearm bearings and their rumble specs aren't exactly too awe-inspiring (you wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a turntable bearing right - rumble >55 dB DIN B weighted, really? it is rare to find a player from the 1980s that isn't rated around 70 dB at least). I guess several Dual CSxxx are solid enough for what they are (midrange belt drive jobs), though not that cheap and only moderately high-tech.

The Rega Planar 2 seems to be solid enough but do keep in mind it's one of those low-tech jobs where you even have to move the drive belt between the 33 and 45 rpm positions on the motor pulley after removing the platter.

Now buying a used player is not easy either - they're far from as cheap as they used to be, they are decades old so may be in need of some maintenance (both trivial and non-trivial), and unless the seller is a pro at packaging them you better be able to pick it up in person, as shipping one without the proper precautions will end in tears. It certainly can't hurt to hit the local classifieds and see what you can find. I would prefer having a pitch adjustment and strobe available if it's not a quartz-locked affair (performing a speed adjustment can be a bit fiddly but is generally possible with a RPM app or a strobe disc that you can find online and print out).

And that's just the player, without sorting out the rest of the system. If you just need a basic integrated amplifier with standard 47kOhm / 220 pF MM phonopre that's still fairly easy to come by, any more extravagant wishes make it harder. As for speakers, I would look up what e.g. a pair of Elac DBR62s would cost (they're about 500€ the pair over here), that should leave 200-ish pounds for a fairly decent basic integrated amp even new (or not too old)... Yamaha A-S301 or something. Other speakers I might look at... KEF Q150, Wharfedale Diamond 4.2, Dali Oberon 3.

Note: For live playback, vibration isolation for the record player becomes important. If yours doesn't have a subchassis (I think some Dual models still do), it's not too tragic, setting the player on a slab of concrete or similar with halved tennis balls underneath should generally sort that out. The dust cover also is best left open or removed.

OP
J

Jeannie66

Who thought buying a turntable & speakers in this day & age would be such a complicated thing! Though I do like the look of rega planar and it gets good reviews I think the fact that I have a mixture of both 12” & 45 it would be a bit of a pain taking the platter on and of every time I need to change it. I have been reading up on some of the new projects which now have a speed changing button so that eliminates that bit. Is there a problem with a hum fro these players? It looks like they have had a complete over haul! I was wondering I was looking into floor speakers, I’ve never had these before. Always bookshelf ones. Any input or advice would be great.. also been looking at some of the new Tecn stuff and that seems to have progressed too. Once again any help would be fab before I part with my hard earned cash!

OP
J

Jeannie66

I think most dealer ships do a 30 day refund policy bid your not happy. It’s hard to buy turntable & speakers in these times. As COVID has everything closed down. And it’s a lot of money to spend on a new hobby and not get it right

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were to buy myself a new turntable and didn't care about being able to carry it about, I might opt for a Technics SL1500c, which appears to be pretty much the same as the SL1200, minus pitch control but it add auto-lift and built-in preamplifier. Have previously owned an SL1200 Mk II and liked it lots (wow and flutter specs are top-notch) but as with other non-suspended designs, if you tap on the plinth while a record is playing, you're likely to hear it through the speakers. But pricey, and finding decent secondhand SL1200 Mk IIs in the sub-$300 range isn't as easy as it once was.

Regarding speed changes: I personally didn't think that lifting the platter in order to change speeds was a huge deal, but that's a personal-preference thing. And either way, you're going to need to get up every 5-20 minutes to flip the record over.

thefsb

I think most dealer ships do a 30 day refund policy bid your not happy. It’s hard to buy turntable & speakers in these times. As COVID has everything closed down. And it’s a lot of money to spend on a new hobby and not get it right
There may be a restocking fee. When I returned a Bluesound Node 2i, I paid 15%. But I didn't mind paying that to get rid of it.

Top Bottom