• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

postjack

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday (or whenever it is that you are reading this). I'm thinking about putting together a Topping stack, currently running a Denon DRA-800H which i like fine but measures poorly. I want to see what all this good measuring equipment is all about. :)

My one question for y'all is regarding bass management. The DRA-800H doesn't even have an HPF for the speakers. For the Topping stack i figured i could add a MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the chain, Pre90 > MiniDSP 2x4HD > output 1 to subwoofer / output 2 to power amp then let the MiniDSP handle the crossovers. Any issues with that? I'd also be able to play around with Dirac which I've never done before.

Associated equipment FWIW is Kef LS50 Meta and SVS Micro 3000. I'd build the Topping stack over time, likely starting with the Pre90 + LA90. Just use the DAC inside the Wiim Mini until I buy a Topping DAC. Additionally I have an Oppo BDP 95 as a disc spinner and a Technics SL1200Mk2 + Ortofon 2M black for vinyl. Currently using the phono input of the DRA-800H, so I'd have to pickup a phono preamp somewhere as well. I listen via streaming (Tidal/Spotify) about 80% of the time so not super concerned being without vinyl for a bit.

Not necessarily looking for the absolute most cost effective option, part of the appeal here is the cosmetic satisfaction of having a matching stack. Also not expecting some world-changing dramatic difference in sound, though having proper sub/speaker HPF/LPF and dirac will no doubt offer improvements.

Thank you all for your time and all you do here.

iLoveCats

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday (or whenever it is that you are reading this). I'm thinking about putting together a Topping stack, currently running a Denon DRA-800H which i like fine but measures poorly. I want to see what all this good measuring equipment is all about. :)
One thing you'll definitely notice about good measuring equipment is you'll stop thinking if this is the best I can get. There's nothing left to go get with the upper end Topping for performance.

postjack

One thing you'll definitely notice about good measuring equipment is you'll stop thinking if this is the best I can get. There's nothing left to go get with the upper end Topping for performance.
I've noticed this reading here and on reddit. With Topping (or RME or other well measuring equipment) it seems most people have been running them for years. The cure for upgradeitis.

Dgob

Forum Donor

My one question for y'all is regarding bass management. The DRA-800H doesn't even have an HPF for the speakers. For the Topping stack i figured i could add a MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the chain, Pre90 > MiniDSP 2x4HD > output 1 to subwoofer / output 2 to power amp then let the MiniDSP handle the crossovers. Any issues with that? I'd also be able to play around with Dirac which I've never done before.

Associated equipment FWIW is Kef LS50 Meta and SVS Micro 3000. I'd build the Topping stack over time, likely starting with the Pre90 + LA90. Just use the DAC inside the Wiim Mini until I buy a Topping DAC. Additionally I have an Oppo BDP 95 as a disc spinner and a Technics SL1200Mk2 + Ortofon 2M black for vinyl. Currently using the phono input of the DRA-800H, so I'd have to pickup a phono preamp somewhere as well. I listen via streaming (Tidal/Spotify) about 80% of the time so not super concerned being without vinyl for a bit.

Not necessarily looking for the absolute most cost effective option, part of the appeal here is the cosmetic satisfaction of having a matching stack. Also not expecting some world-changing dramatic difference in sound, though having proper sub/speaker HPF/LPF and dirac will no doubt offer improvements.

Thank you all for your time and all you do here.
I don't use headphones. Hence, my Topping stack is the Pre90; D90Se, and Ext90. I can confirm that this is it for my choices of amplification. I'm sure that any choice that you make will satisfy.

If you want to maintain high standards on the phono stage, I could recommend the Violectric PPA V790.

Good luck and happy listening.

postjack

I don't use headphones. Hence, my Topping stack is the Pre90; D90Se, and Ext90. I can confirm that this is it for my choices of amplification. I'm sure that any choice that you make will satisfy.

If you want to maintain high standards on the phono stage, I could recommend the Violectric PPA V790.

Good luck and happy listening.
Thanks, I'm also not a headphone user. What do you use for a power amp? Or do you run powered speakers?

Dgob

Forum Donor
Yes, I don't use an amp. I have a pair of active Genelec 8361A monitors supported by a pair of Genelec 7360A sub's. That's also a final (speaker) point for me. :)

When I used the Revel F208 passive monitors. I found a stereo pair of Benchmark AHB2's to be wonderful.

All the best

Top Bottom