• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gratulation. I have altered my decision too and instead of the Gustard Pre, I gonna order the Topping Pre. I am very curious how it will perform in my settings...
Thanks. I have not heard this Gustard so I feel responsible for your decision :)
But (from not tube) I heard very expensive Accuphase, Electrocompaniet, Audiolab and each of them had some flows, Accuphase was electronic sounding (not my cup of tea), Electrocompaniet added distortions, Audiolab was a bit muddy and not focused mids well and with higer gain was fuzzy and looosing air, passive pre based on bent audio transformer (tried both copper and pure silver one, no available now) was clean and musical, silver version had more light on mids, slighly better that copper one, but both suffered from poor pace and rhythm (slow motion like effect), quite boring and not suitable for every type of music.
So I find this Topping Pre90 the first preamplifier I cannot find a flow in sound and I am very positevely surprised. It is fantastic not only in sky high performanve to price ratio, but in absolute terms of sound quality as well. If in some blind test somebody told me that it plays $40.000 Burmester 077 preamp I would easily believe... :)

DHT 845

Just need to pair it with an AHB2 now, with the money you saved not buying the Benchmark Pre ;)
My amp needs are fully satisfied ;)

misterdog

Though you said similar regarding SMPS, never say never. :)

DHT 845

Though you said similar regarding SMPS, never say never. :)
That is right. However I am very happy with my sound especially that I built my speakers.

fmplayer

That is right. However I am very happy with my sound especially that I built my speakers.
And now you'll need some time to rediscover all your music. What stuck me was the amount of things hidden in a cd which are exposed by the pre90. Even at low volume, sound is crystal clear. I listened to a Rotel 995 pre yesterday which is not bad, but it's night and day. Incredible how we can buy that good stuff for so little money nowadays

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am now very tempted to get the Pre90 to place it between my Gustard x16 and my stereo amp. I briefly used my Onkyo AVR as preamp was disappointed....

ARAJO

in an RCA only system is there any benefit to having the Pre90 over an L30. Remote control is an obvious one but in terms of sound quality as a pre-amp with RCA out connection to a power amp.

DHT 845

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can some of these converts to the pre 90, especially those using it as a single input /output, please do some level matched blind testing between the pre 90 in the loop controlling the volume and just the dac volume control.

Because what I am reading is a few pages now of voodoo. Glad you like it, but how on earth can it audibly improve a chain?

DHT 845

Can some of these converts to the pre 90, especially those using it as a single input /output, please do some level matched blind testing between the pre 90 in the loop controlling the volume and just the dac volume control.
I used volume control from my DAC for over 2 years so I do not need blind test, it is too obviuos. When I return to DAC control there is less music in "voodoo terms". As simple as that. How it is possible? I don't know, I heard the theory of better S/N ratio and about taking the burden off power amp to achieve the same sound level. But for me that are theoretical explanations that I cannot measure. I know only what I subjectively hear.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used volume control from my DAC for over 2 years so I do not need blind test, it is too obviuos. When I return to DAC control there is less music in "voodoo terms". As simple as that. How it is possible? I don't know, I heard the theory of better S/N ratio and about taking the burden off power amp to achieve the same sound level. But for me that are theoretical explanations that I cannot measure. I know only what I subjectively hear.

I had a feeling you might say that. The trouble is, the internet being the internet, people are reading your posts and thinking of replicating your experience. Generally around here, unsubstantiated claims are challenged and flagged as such so we don't end up propagating the hype and half truths that abound in audio forums.

Level matched, unsighted testing, or it didnt happen. Nobody is asking you to explain why it sounds better. I am asking you to prove that it sounded different at all.

That is all.

DHT 845

I had a feeling you might say that. The trouble is, the internet being the internet, people are reading your posts and thinking of replicating your experience. Generally around here, unsubstantiated claims are challenged and flagged as such so we don't end up propagating the hype and half truths that abound in audio forums.

Level matched, unsighted testing, or it didnt happen. Nobody is asking you to explain why it sounds better. I am asking you to prove that it sounded different at all.

That is all.

I do not want to prove anything and to encourage anybody to spend money on the unit. I have agreement with the shop that I can return the unit tomorrow so oficially I just borrowed it leaving money deposit. But I am not going to return it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not want to prove anything and to encourage anybody to spend money on the unit. I have agreement with the shop that I can return the unit tomorrow so oficially I just borrowed it leaving money deposit. But I am not going to return it.
I'm just trying to stem the flow of people buying this to "improve" the sound of their system, rather than simply providing a (transparent) volume control between fixed output sources and power amps.

artburda

And how do you know that „more/less music“ is not just placebo? You make quite some claims about your extraordinary auditory skills and some sort of special auditory memory which enable you to hear all kinds of stuff when using different pre amps. Like you say, you don‘t have to prove anything but you also don‘t have to spam this thread with your esoteric and mystic experiences when doing biased hardware comparisons. We have read your anecdotes in flowery language, you made your points clear. Enough is enough.

DHT 845

And how do you know that „more/less music“ is not just placebo? You make quite some claims about your extraordinary auditory skills and some sort of special auditory memory which enable you to hear all kinds of stuff when using different pre amps. Like you say, you don‘t have to prove anything but you also don‘t have to spam this thread with your esoteric and mystic experiences when doing biased hardware comparisons. We have read your anecdotes in flowery language, you made your points clear. Enough is enough.
And how do you know the red color is red?
Ok. enough for me, no more my subjective experience within scientist sect. No, I believe that there are people with common sense here as well.
I return to listening to music. End of the subject for me. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Because what I am reading is a few pages now of voodoo. Glad you like it, but how on earth can it audibly improve a chain?

+1
That's exactly what I wonder about and was considering if it's worth to purchase a pre90 and put it between my D90 and the amps.
If it's just for the sake of 1db SINAD or better SNR, I doubt that I could hear it ...

misterdog

You make quite some claims about your extraordinary auditory skills and some sort of special auditory memory which enable you to hear all kinds of stuff when using different pre amps

I also benefit from these skills.

If you wish to pay to have my previous Bruno Putzeys designed DIY built Pre shipped from the UK to Amir for testing you are welcome.

Looks fairly transparent to me.

index.php

If someone says the Benchmark Pre 'sounds' better is it proven here ?

Last edited:

misterdog

+1
That's exactly what I wonder about and was considering if it's worth to purchase a pre90 and put it between my D90 and the amps.
If it's just for the sake of 1db SINAD or better SNR, I doubt that I could hear it ...

My SMSL M400 has 2dB better SINAD at full 5.3V output than attenuated to provide 4V output.
2.4 dB better SNR.

How much are you attenuating your DAC signal to gain match to your amps, and how is this affecting the output signal.

It also has 2dB better performance of XLR out over RCA, though many maintain that you only need XLR if you have 'long cable runs'
or a 'noisy' environment.
You can study the science all day long but only you can decide if it provides an improvement to you with your system.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../smsl-m400-balanced-usb-mqa-dac-review.13732/

Top Bottom