• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 28.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 207 61.6%

• Total voters
Good choice, great value for the money. The PA5 II surely is a very good match.

Talking about price I did a little comparison with a same price Yamaha to see how much hardware you get of each (click on the pics to maximize)

View attachment 308275View attachment 308279

(green is Topping,red is Yamaha)

View attachment 308277View attachment 308278

The above is without Topping's PSU.
I believe they are comparable in terms of power too.
The Yamaha A-S301 is definitely a great device and one of the cheapest control centers for a hi-fi system.
Remote control, analog and digital inputs, phono, record outputs, simple tone controls, headphone jack, A/B speakers and subwoofer output. Don't forget the optional Bluetooth connection. A well-rounded package for a low price.
But I don't think it performs better or the same as the tested Yamaha R-N803D from the measured values.

The Topping PA5 II/Plus is an absolutely puristic device with a maximum of 2 inputs and no remote control, that's the end of it.
On the other hand, the measured values are far removed from the called price, every other device with similar measured values costs x times as much.

The decisive factor is where the priorities lie, because both are not available in this price range.

The Yamaha A-S301 is definitely a great device and one of the cheapest control centers for a hi-fi system.
Remote control, analog and digital inputs, phono, record outputs, simple tone controls, headphone jack, A/B speakers and subwoofer output. Don't forget the optional Bluetooth connection. A well-rounded package for a low price.
But I don't think it performs better or the same as the tested Yamaha R-N803D from the measured values.

The Topping PA5 II/Plus is an absolutely puristic device with a maximum of 2 inputs and no remote control, that's the end of it.
On the other hand, the measured values are far removed from the called price, every other device with similar measured values costs x times as much.

The decisive factor is where the priorities lie, because both are not available in this price range.
To strip it down to minimum,both will probably be the same with music in terms of SQ.
What's left is all the rest.

There is no CE certification.
Of course there is. Here is Topping's:

index.php

You pay an outside test agency, BST in this case, and they will test and certify your product for compliance. This is not mandatory but good companies always do it as Topping is doing.

You pay an outside test agency, BST in this case, and they will test and certify your product for compliance. This is not mandatory but good companies always do it as Topping is doing.

Or you can just buy the CE certificate on Aliexpress - $1.99 with free postage! ;)

Of course there is. Here is Topping's:

index.php

In terms of CE, the document is just toilet paper because the word certificate is on it. This is misleading and forbidden. "Certificate of Compliance" is roughly equivalent to "ISO".
The term "CE declaration of conformity" is mandatory.
Excerpt from the official regulations: "There is no body that may or can issue a CE mark. The legislators expressly state that the CE marking is the responsibility of the manufacturer or his authorized representative (must be based in the EU). Alternatively, the importer into the EU or the person placing the product on the market is responsible."
This is exactly why there can be no certificate at all. This is just a fairy tale.

Of course you can hire an external company to prepare and check everything for you, but only your own company can be listed, you have to sign it yourself and you are responsible.

With over 10 products that I have bought from Topping via Amazon so far, none have had a CE declaration of conformity and there has also been no indication of where I can obtain one.
This also applies to my PA5 II, which was delivered by Amazon last week.

Last edited:
In terms of CE, the document is just toilet paper because the word certificate is on it. This is misleading and forbidden.
Nonsense. The certification company can produce any documentation they like for their final report.

Of course you can hire an external company to prepare and check everything for you, but only your own company can be listed, you have to sign it yourself and you are responsible.
Which is what they do. But they don't just print stickers without testing. Exactly what we did when I managed hardware development. We used testing agencies and got the certificate of compliance from them in case we got challenged.
Again, nonsense. Did you look underneath?

Or you can just buy the CE certificate on Aliexpress - $1.99 with free postage! ;)
Good luck getting one at that price with the name of your company and product tested:

1693460168694.png

You guys need to stop playing fast and loose with company's reputation this way. You have facts, put it forward. Otherwise, I am really disappointed to see such nonsense posted.

Good luck getting one at that price with the name of your company and product tested:

View attachment 308925

You guys need to stop playing fast and loose with company's reputation this way. You have facts, put it forward. Otherwise, I am really disappointed to see such nonsense posted.
I agree Amir. People, yes real people, work at these companies and support families and for people to so easily make negative, false, mistaken comments with no repercussions is reprehensible. I posted a photo of my Topping PA II and there is a CE on the label of the product which is clearly visible. Anyone can go back and take a look.

In terms of CE, the document is just toilet paper because the word certificate is on it. This is misleading and forbidden. "Certificate of Compliance" is roughly equivalent to "ISO".
The term "CE declaration of conformity" is mandatory.
There is no body that may or can issue a CE mark. The legislators expressly state that the CE marking is the responsibility of the manufacturer or his authorized representative (must be based in the EU). Alternatively, the importer into the EU or the person placing the product on the market is responsible.
This is exactly why there can be no certificate at all. This is just a fairy tale.

With over 10 products that I have bought from Topping via Amazon so far, none have had a CE declaration of conformity and there has also been no indication of where I can obtain one.
Who issued this certificate Roland68? Can you tell me what country that on the face of this document, certified the product is based on? Do you have a case citation or case that states what you are saying is true that, quote, "This is misleading and forbidden. "Certificate of Compliance" is roughly equivalent to "ISO"."? What is it that you are trying to say here, that using the term "certificate" is misleading? Are you stating that BST is committing fraud by issuing this certificate, because that is a serious allegation? How do you define qualified representative? (Please reference the legal definition of this you are referring to.) If you're making such serious allegations please supply us this information.

Roland68, I'm also curious looking at your past posts that you seem to have some experience in the field of engineering and manufacturing. Some of the comment's seem negative to Topping, yet you stated you purchased over 10 Topping products. Why did you purchase over 10 Topping products for?

Photos not nearly as plentiful and nice as @TheLastGerman 's photos.

I've spent 1 to 2 hours each day with my new PA5 II at fairly high volume (loud enough to piss off the wife). It's a bit warm our here (85 degree F) and the PA5 II gets pretty warm to the touch. I don't remember the PA5 getting that warm. There are at least 2 extra IC's on the PA5 II that shouldn't add that much heat. Still sounds great though.

As far as SE (unbalanced source), I believe someone said that about the PA5 and not the II. I actually tried unbalanced a few times just out of curiosity and never had a problem other than the volume was 6db down which is why the II added the gain on the SE port.

Recently I bought a Topping PA5 II. Device is heating up preaty much. Case temperature is 38°C (100°F). I have connected 8Ω speakers, no audio input, no matter which input is selected, volume position is 10 o'clock. Any more owners noticed this?

I also had a Tpping PA5 that failed. I did not measure the case temperature, but it was lower than the PA5 II. Also have PA3s where I didn't notice any heating at all.

Are you stating Topping did this? Have you done any research to confirm this statement?

OMG. Look at the post people. What's that emoji at the end?

Hint:
1693465107058.png

But, jokes aside, Topping have totally earned the reputation they currently have...

Last edited:
Recently I bought a Topping PA5 II. Device is heating up preaty much. Case temperature is 38°C (100°F). I have connected 8Ω speakers, no audio input, no matter which input is selected, volume position is 10 o'clock. Any more owners noticed this?

I also had a Tpping PA5 that failed. I did not measure the case temperature, but it was lower than the PA5 II. Also have PA3s where I didn't notice any heating at all.
PA5 got pretty hot, but that alone should not lead to failure because if that was the case then just about every AVR should fail in short time.
I have a plus unit on the way, I'll lift it up slightly so that more air will flow underneath it

PA5 got pretty hot, but that alone should not lead to failure because if that was the case then just about every AVR should fail in short time.
I have a plus unit on the way, I'll lift it up slightly so that more air will flow underneath it

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...owners-only-please.33293/page-64#post-1665838

If I understood this right:

The heat, that was a problem with the PA5 is now distributed to the chassis of the PA5 II, which is why the chassis of PA5 II is hotter than the PA5?

Last edited:
There is no body that may or can issue a CE mark. The legislators expressly state that the CE marking is the responsibility of the manufacturer or his authorized representative (must be based in the EU). Alternatively, the importer into the EU or the person placing the product on the market is responsible.
This is exactly why there can be no certificate at all.

They've paid BS Testing for a CE certificate, that's all. What was actually tested we'll never know.

But being a supposedly professional outfit, you'd think BS Testing would pay close attention to those super important CE marks on the PA-5 and the PA-5ii power supplies wouldn't you?

Clearly not. They don't adhere to the EU requirements for using the logo. The letters are way too close together.

1693467992962.png

topping CE.JPG

topping pa5II.JPG

CE logo.JPG

Last edited:
Nonsense. The certification company can produce any documentation they like for their final report.

Which is what they do. But they don't just print stickers without testing. Exactly what we did when I managed hardware development. We used testing agencies and got the certificate of compliance from them in case we got challenged.

Again, nonsense. Did you look underneath?
Dear Amirm, please don't kill the messenger. I just wrote some facts about CE in the EU, without judgement.
I'm not against topping at all, quite the opposite. There are only two things I condemn about Topping, and they certainly have nothing to do with CE.
A CE mark on a hi-fi device is less important to anyone in this world than me.

And again, there are neither CE Certificates nor external bodies that can or are allowed to issue CE Certificates. For products in the medical sector and construction, there are officially notified bodies that carry out additional required tests. This can be recognized by a 4-digit number assigned to these notified bodies, which is behind or below the CE mark. But even these officially notified bodies are not allowed to issue the CE declaration of conformity. Your activity is only listed in it

There are many companies in the EU that accompany a manufacturer in the process for the CE declaration of conformity and prepare everything, right up to the CE declaration of conformity ready for signature. But in the end these companies can neither issue a valid certificate nor a valid CE declaration of conformity.
Only the manufacturer can issue the CE declaration of conformity, with his address and his signature. Alternatively, this can also be done by the person who places the product on the market in the EU and thus bears full responsibility.

All topping devices that I had so far had a CE symbol or a corresponding sticker printed on them, as did the PA5 II I bought last week. What was missing from all devices was the CE declaration of conformity (1 sheet).
This sheet is often not included with devices from the EU and also from Germany.
Ultimately, the importer or distributor must have this document available. In the final instance he is always liable for it.

And again, I'm just describing the legal situation.
If this information is not desired, then I will not post anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom