• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would bet 100 euros the gain will be below 10 dB lol.
So very nice for benchmark dacs owners or people with powerful pre

Katji

Major Contributor
See that power in socket. Does that mean this thing has some giant external power brick?
And these 3-pin connectors showing up lately, there are already 3 or 4 variations of barrel connectors.
Compact size is not a benefit to me if I have to put the power supply somewhere.

...At least the power supply i got to go with the DAC fits under or over it.
1650638419495.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hmm, seems the audiophonics Class D (tested here at ASR) would be a better choice for me...but not in the mood to hunt down a pre-amp either really.

Mono might be the only way to get a lot of power out of it, but that'll cost quite a lot.

mario_rouge

Hmm, seems the audiophonics Class D (tested here at ASR) would be a better choice for me...but not in the mood to hunt down a pre-amp either really.

Mono might be the only way to get a lot of power out of it, but that'll cost quite a lot.
if you want to spend little 2 Sabaj A8 are a good choice. They are based on IcePower 125asx2 and sound good.

Bleib

Major Contributor
if you want to spend little 2 Sabaj A8 are a good choice. They are based on IcePower 125asx2 and sound good.
Yeah, except they're unlikely to measure as clean as Audiophonics. Icepower can't quite compete with purifi

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, except they're unlikely to measure as clean as Audiophonics. Icepower can't quite compete with purifi
Audiophonics sells Purifi, Ncore and Icepower. Which ones do you mean?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Audiophonics sells Purifi, Ncore and Icepower. Which ones do you mean?
Sorry, meant their own brand poweramp which has been tested here:

I don't think the new topping can compete in value

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, meant their own brand poweramp which has been tested here:
Yes, Audiophonics is a systems integrator, the sell their brand with Purifi, Ncore and Icepower.
This particular device contains a Purifi module.

I don't think the new topping can compete in value
Can't wait myself to get hard facts and see maybe what my next amp is :cool:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Yes, Audiophonics is a systems integrator, the sell their brand with Purifi, Ncore and Icepower.
This particular device contains a Purifi module.

Can't wait myself to get hard facts and see maybe what my next amp is :cool:
It's not too difficult to understand that AB in such a small box will not have lots of power..

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Well seems that the topping has 3 source selector and volume control (and normally a remote?) the audiophonics is a vanilla power amp

jae

Major Contributor
Wonder if their new products are going to have trigger then? They finally realised a product with a taller form factor which I am glad to see, they need to do an all in one HPA/pre amp + DAC device with a good amount of inputs and outputs to pair with this. Streamer functionality might be a bonus too. Maybe they will have a "premium" power supply for it as well?

Mario Sanchez

Thumbs up just because it has SpeakOn connectors.
I'm pretty sure it has three pairs of combo 3-pin XLR/TRS Jacks, the amp output appears to be binding posts/ banana plug only, no Speakon unfortunately...
Also this one likely comes with an external power brick (still), but considering the size of the unit (assuming same width and depth as other 90 series products), personally I'll let it slide.

Mario Sanchez

Wonder if their new products are going to have trigger then? They finally realised a product with a taller form factor which I am glad to see, they need to do an all in one HPA/pre amp + DAC device with a good amount of inputs and outputs to pair with this. Streamer functionality might be a bonus too. Maybe they will have a "premium" power supply for it as well?
There is a 12v trigger in.

VeerK

I don't know if that's the finish they're going with, but initially it doesn't look quite the same as the D90/A90. Curious to see how John's design stacks up against the AHB2 and the Soncoz SGP1, fun time for the measurement folks to see how far audio engineering can be pushed.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What are the chances @amirm has one of these on the test bench already.
I have kind permission from the company to say that chances are good. :) No, I won't say anything else.....

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have kind permission from the company to say that chances are good. :) No, I won't say anything else.....
I knew it!!!

Top Bottom