• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 274 85.9%

• Total voters

bearcatsandor

Mine is doing something strange. I tend to listen at lower volumes, so I don't actually know when the volume started going weird. At -40.0 the soundstage is centered. From -40.5 through -30 it seems to shift left as I adjust the volume then goes back to center after -30. I think. It's driving me nuts now because I heard it while listening to a few songs, and not when playing a warble tone.

Is anyone else hearing that? I have been having some USB reliability issues on my motherboard, so that could be it. EIther that or I'm losing it.

Blashyrkh

Mine is doing something strange. I tend to listen at lower volumes, so I don't actually know when the volume started going weird. At -40.0 the soundstage is centered. From -40.5 through -30 it seems to shift left as I adjust the volume then goes back to center after -30. I think. It's driving me nuts now because I heard it while listening to a few songs, and not when playing a warble tone.

Is anyone else hearing that? I have been having some USB reliability issues on my motherboard, so that could be it. EIther that or I'm losing it.
No, I currently use it low gain with westone um pro 50 balanced 4.4

Volume -40/50 with Amazon music normal output

Volume -35, gain -15 with equalizer APO to compensate the +15 bass peak of a Hesuvi 3d virtualizer algorithm

With HD800 I usually stay above -30 low gain with Amazon music or high gain with Hesuvi.

Also used it from -20 to -5 low gain with single ended hd800

I tested probably all volume ranges, never heard headstage issues

ethanhallbeyer

Guys, this Toppping L70 or SMSL SH-9 (or something even better now in 2023)? The L70 seems to have more features, including a 12v trigger.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Guys, this Toppping L70 or SMSL SH-9 (or something even better now in 2023)? The L70 seems to have more features, including a 12v trigger.
A70pro is probably better, but I doubt it's possible to notice

Reactions: SYJ

SYJ

A70pro is probably better, but I doubt it's possible to notice
I have all three, SH9, L70, and A70Pro. I think they all sound petty similar, maybe a little difference (which may be from which DAC being used). The headphones have most impact on sound.

Anyway, the new A70Pro has big screen which can emulate VU meter and more importantly it can be used with EXT90 for more inputs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they all sound petty similar, maybe a little difference (which may be from which DAC being used).
Not likely that a decent DAC will sound different than another. They are a solved device and anything from a ~$90 SMSL to higher end models are all flat frequency response and have near perfect linearity of the input to the output.

BigBeard

I just got L70 in and am comparing it to my THX789.
Listening with my HD800 and SMSL VMV D1 Dac

There is hardly any difference between the two amps. The 789 actually sounds like it has a much cleaner background - something I prefer.

I am also thinking the L70 may be defective. When I change the volume I hear crackling/popping. The distortion also shows up sometimes during listening. Anyone else experience this?

Bobesku

Does this usual behavior of relay volume control happens every time, upon each input change? Or is it also dependent on other variables in the chain?
I mean, I get it that it's an engineered tech to make channel balance perfect but in return it ruins UX... I'm not sure what I would pick, tbh?

bearcatsandor

Does this usual behavior of relay volume control happens every time, upon each input change? Or is it also dependent on other variables in the chain?
I mean, I get it that it's an engineered tech to make channel balance perfect but in return it ruins UX... I'm not sure what I would pick, tbh?
The click isn't in your headphones, it's in the unit itself. It's a very gentle click. My keyboard is louder than it. It also gives a little bit of tactile feedback, which is nice.

Bobesku

@bearcatsandor This is great news! I can definitely live with that. I think I would like it as well, although planning to use it as a preamp for power amp and large speakers, so no tactile feedback for me as I will be 4 meters away from it. Thank you very much for this!

Mr:River

I'm analyzing the purchase of the L70/E70 but looking at the videos and photos on Google it shows two display tones, sometimes it's white and another time it's blue. Is that just a point of view or is there really a newer version with a white display?

1700810264787.png
1700810304518.png

Blashyrkh

I'm analyzing the purchase of the L70/E70 but looking at the videos and photos on Google it shows two display tones, sometimes it's white and another time it's blue. Is that just a point of view or is there really a newer version with a white display?

View attachment 328947 View attachment 328948
There's no blue screen. It's probably due to ambient light/camera

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

View attachment 328947 View attachment 328948
It's white. But due to different white balance setting of the camera or/and lighting it may come as 'blueish'

ThatGuyYouKnow

Finally decided to update the firmware and noticed... absolutely nothing different. That is a good sign considering I did not have issues with the L70 before. Just wish Topping would simply say what has been fixed other than presumably the sporadic 12v trigger error some have.

jcheavymetal

I have been using L70 since january as headphone amplifier but mainly as a pre-amplifier connected to two JBL powered studio monitors. I had no issues at all for a long time, but, from about 2 months ago, every time I turn it on it gives me a very loud pop on the monitors, independently of the volume set, which is annoying me. It have never happened before 2 months ago and, as far as I remember, I changed no configuration on the device. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to solve it?

Top Bottom