• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 85.8%

• Total voters

Chagall

Forum Donor
Sorry guys if it is explained elsewhere, but this morning I switched on the the L70 and got "R3" message. Switched off and on and now it is ok. Is there a firmware update I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Ha ok :

So rebooted and it's ok.

I got it once on old firmware and once on new. Contacted topping and local reseller, both said it's fine to continue using after powering down.

BigSweeny

I got it once on old firmware and once on new. Contacted topping and local reseller, both said it's fine to continue using after powering down.
Where was the "new" firmware? I don't see it on topping's site.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Where was the "new" firmware? I don't see it on topping's site.
Sorry, firmware was 1.04 for E70 dac, not L70. Reseller suggested to update the dac, but even updated I got r3 on L70 once in 4 months of use. Both Topping and reseller didn't explain what the code exactly means, but assured it is fine to use.

Last edited:

rarewolf

New FW v1.13 for the L70. Comprehensive detailed as: Fix some known issues.

Anyone have the faintest idea what “known issues” this fixes?

Else, why would anyone take the chance when their L70 works perfectly?

Mattx

PS: I have just tried to update and used an USB C to A cable. However after copying the file, the drive did not automatically reject and reopen (and update) as it should as per the readme. My current FW is stated as 1.11.

Maybe others willing to take the plunge have more luck....

sambol

I have done the upgrade, everything works as before.
It didn't do automatic eject for me either, I disconnected the cable and reconnected it.

Mattx

^
Thanks, that worked. :)

When I opened "VER113.TXT" afterwards it says:

"English:
Copy the new firmware to the root directory, disconnect the USB and connect it again. Input RCA color block will be displayed during the upgrade, and 8-8 will be displayed after the upgrade."

Would be handy if they had included that in the FW readme file / Instructions on the topping site as well :)

Mattx

Nope. Also, my custom settings were retained after the update. :)

However I have the amp for 4 months and have encountered a ~2-3 bugs/weird hiccups allthough I don't recall exactly what they were. Nothing serious though. Just turning on and off solved it I think.

But that's why I updated the FW.

jcheavymetal

I have got the R3 error several times when turning my L70 on. Then I realized this always happen when I turn it on right after pluging it in electricity. Now I wait a while to turn it on after turning the power distributor on and have not got the error message anymore.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Yeah, I had the R3 error a couple times when I started using the L70. Topping said it was probably a 12v trigger glitch. It has not come up in the months since, so I don't even really consider it an issue. At least not an issue I consider worth updating the firmware if that is indeed what the firmware addresses.

I wish Topping wasn't so cryptic about the update.

Steve96

My original E30 power finally blew though my l30 still works. The meaured stats I think look similar, maybe a little less than e30, and I doubt but would the L70 be (somewhat substantially) improved from the E30 (first edition)? If getting the e70v, should I also 'upgrade' to the L70, at least for the balanced?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My original E30/L30 stack power finally blew. The measured stats I think look similar and I doubt but would the L70 be (somewhat substantially) improved from the E30 (first edition, I dont know if mine is still working)? Is it actually balanced?
300 ohm power into XLR out basically quadruples compared to 1/4", so that part would be a yes (it's a BTL output).

Your first question is confusing. Given that the L70 appears to be IEC Class I, I would not recommend running it from a USB DAC with unbalanced output like the E30 (unless you are actually using Toslink input). Better get an L30 II or L50 then, which are still an upgrade over the old L30.

kekotron

jcheavymetal

All equipment from CHINA sounds the same, that is a problem, measurements are fine, but why do they sound the same, it is simple, they do not understand how sound works, and how other humans perceive sound!! TAKE EXAMPLE, Like speaker drivers from China, they sound good with music from Asia, but when china speakers come to the rest of the world, they can not compete with old European or USA schools,, but today young generations who grow up with that China sound, they are. fine with even radio made in china!!
I think they sound the same because they are made to sound the same, made to sound linear as the measurements show. I guess what you call "sounding different" is what we call here as "distortion".

Bleib

Major Contributor
Nonsense. There are plenty of designs which are not linear.

Blashyrkh

I started receiving r5 error when switching it on, followed by a number (that was different each time).
The unit was cold and first time I switched it on in the day. Done same thing you see in the video for 3 times, and now disappeared

PS: the video is now been veryfied, probably up in few minutes

Top Bottom