• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 85.8%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor
Nonsense.

for a good list that is already more than good enough see:
You can add:
FiiO K5 Pro
Topping L70
Sabaj A10h
AOSHIDA SMSL C200
Chord DAVE (just kidding)
Sabaj a20h should also be considered

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When 2W in 32ohm is not enough... sure L70 can go 10dB louder (that's twice as loud)
There aren't many headphones around that need more than 2W to play impressively loud so I guess it would depend on the used headphone and desired listening level.

jimboaz

Yes, but as resale value is typically a fraction of retail, the real question is how fast do we think the A90 is depreciating? When will it hit $175 or so on eBay, your best guess? :)
Never unless its a junked up unit

jimboaz

There are laws in California that dictate Topping must have worse benefits for employees than Schiit?
I wonder have you worked for either of the companies, or talked to their employees about their benefits, or are you just assuming that a Chinese company must treat their workers worse than a California company?
Maybe he lives in one of the States that still has $7.25/hr Federal minimum Wage - LOL

jimboaz

Or the inevitable "my topping broke after 3 months" thread ;)
Or the inevitable "my topping broke after 3 months" thread ;)
Well Having owned 15+ various Topping, SMSL, FX Audio etc pieces, I've only had problems with one SMSL A300 amp power switch. As a matter of fact my first Topping piece I purchased - a Topping VX1 2x25W Class T Amplifier with USB DAC and Headphone Amp - in 2017 is still working fine even being left on 24-7 the whole time. Cost me $70. I've had more problems with more expensive non-China pieces. Do you know a lot of up to $3k and more pieces not with China names but marketed with USA or British names are being made or at least assembled in China ? Both Speakers and electronics. So even your "British" speakers may not be so pure if thats what you want....

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you know a lot of up to $3k and more pieces not with China names but marketed with USA or British names are being made or at least assembled in China ?
And this proving what exactly? I do own some audio products made in China, mainly Holo May and their Serene preamp both made proudly in China, the point is that mass produced landfill electronics is not exactly the same as actually well made products regardless of where in the world is it produced. Just like you would not expect Balkans to make super high quality stuff yet some of the most luxurious and long-lived tube amps are made in Serbia and Bulgaria.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Received today. It's freakin amazing.
So clean so crystal clear I'm very sensitive to high frequencies being harsh/distorted (my ears are still capable of hearing up to 18khz depending on the day)
But this thing is just so well behaved in high frequencies that I'm just amazed. No matter how loud you listen it's just pure joy.
One more time, amazing.
IMG_20230519_204053_R.jpg

rarewolf

So clean so crystal clear I'm very sensitive to high frequencies being harsh/distorted (my ears are still capable of hearing up to 18khz depending on the day)
But this thing is just so well behaved in high frequencies that I'm just amazed. No matter how loud you listen it's just pure joy.
One more time, amazing.
View attachment 286611

I’m sure the DC Aeon Noire HPs aren’t hurting the experience…

I have the Topping 70 stack, as well… but the Aeon 2 Noires remain on my short list… maybe next spring

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I’m sure the DC Aeon Noire HPs aren’t hurting the experience…

I have the Topping 70 stack, as well… but the Aeon 2 Noires remain on my short list… maybe next spring
Actually these are Stealths ;)
But I'm sure Aeon2 noire will be just as good.
What headphones are you using now?

rarewolf

Actually these are Stealths ;)
But I'm sure Aeon2 noire will be just as good.
What headphones are you using now?

Ahhh, yes I see that they’re open-backs — I was looking at the folding yoke thinking the Noires were the only DCs that folded like that.

My IEMs are the S12s and IE600s, and my cans are the semi-open Fostex T60RP (Mod House) Argons

nonnyno

Ahhh, yes I see that they’re open-backs — I was looking at the folding yoke thinking the Noires were the only DCs that folded like that.

My IEMs are the S12s and IE600s, and my cans are the semi-open Fostex T60RP (Mod House) Argons
Stealths are closed backs. The expanse is an open back

Blashyrkh

One more time, amazing.
View attachment 286611

I am also one too sensitive to harsh highs, in fact was totally unable to use DT880, K701 or ATH-ADX5000 back in the days.

After buying the HD800 I settled with the last one that was the less harsh of the 3 (last 2 blind tested).
Anyway liked it so much, but at the end I sold the Benchmark DAC2 and Violectric because too harsh with them for me, and stayed few years with Mojo + Yaquin 300b.

I just bought L70 out of curiosity, since the Yaquin broke.

I was blown out by how well it sounded, never heard such puncy bass from the HD800 and a totally absence of harshness, but also neutral to the source....it was like hearing Mojo on steroids.
Soon after I bought the SMSL DO300 to have a better DAC, and currently is the best HD800 I ever heard, no bass issues (actually it seems even too much on some bad recorded tracks) and no piercing highs.

It scaled so well that now the HE500 that I kept for more funny listenings are now "thrash" in comparison, and probably sell them with the mojo

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
totally absence of harshness
Exactly that.
Believe me I listened to a lot of those high end stuff in the 1k to 20k price range. I also owned and still own some expensive "high-end" stuff.
Nothing never fully satisfied me. There was always something bad with top end, being just not clear/harsh/distorted it drove me crazy.
With Topping it's a different story. And it's for ~340 bucks. I'm floored.

I just don't get why people are talking that a lot of feedback is "destroying" music and other nonsense.
I've found it quite the opposite. I remember watching some interview with Bruno Putzeys, and he said something that "every time I improve feedback and lowered the distortion it sounded better" and I definitely agree.

Blashyrkh

I just don't get why people are talking that a lot of feedback is "destroying" music and other nonsense.
I've found it quite the opposite. I remember watching some interview with Bruno Putzeys, and he said something that "every time I improve feedback and lowered the distortion it sounded better" and I definitely agree.

Yeah...usually related to loss of dynamics, actually this was a old debate.
Most probably related to the fact that some kind of distortion can be perceived like a more livelier/dynamic sound, that is not.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Yeah...usually related to loss of dynamics, actually this was a old debate.
Most probably related to the fact that some kind of distortion can be perceived like a more livelier/dynamic sound, that is not.
Yes indeed, distortion many of the times adds feeling of dynamic sound.
That's also why so called reviewers from YouTube called DCA stealth undynamic... When in fact it's just lack of distortion and bloat in bass.
There is plenty of real dynamics with both good measuring gear and good measuring headphones.

Kumabear

@amirm

If you still have this unit around, do you think that it would be possible to do some measurements on the Preamp like you have done on the Topping A70 Pro?

From what I can tell the L70 is possibly the best value preamp ever with the functions it has in that role, due to the semantics of the system I am putting together I will need a preamp with two IR recallable presets, and I have been thinking L70 is the best option.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sorry guys if it is explained elsewhere, but this morning I switched on the the L70 and got "R3" message. Switched off and on and now it is ok. Is there a firmware update I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Ha ok :

So rebooted and it's ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom