• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 Review (Headphone Amp)

Mike710

Less attenuation is slightly better. I would adjust the gain setting so that you can run the volume closer to 3 o'clock.
That would be more like the "low" setting (switch to the lowest position) Is my guess from what I have tested.

Mike710

Less attenuation is slightly better. I would adjust the gain setting so that you can run the volume closer to 3 o'clock.
Thank you,

I also lowered the volume of the E50 to -7.0dB to give some headroom. So now I am at the low setting on the L50 and at circa 2 o´clock which Is fine for my listening.

@Jimster480
Yes It´s understandable that one should adjust to their hearing preferences, but also to what Is healthy to you´re gear and It´s limitations.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also have L50+E50. I just use E50 on 0dB (max vol) as a pure DAC only (no preamp). Middle setting for L50. I adjust the rest on knob (L50) or by software (foobar).

Using HD650 here, with 4-pin XLR (fully balanced). Closer to the max vol, the HD650 seems it will explodes, or the HD650 explodes, or your ears first.

Audioboxer

Think my L50 is dead, no matter what I try the white power light just keeps flashing. Did this once before but leaving it powered off for a bit fixed it. Not this time :(

edit - False alarm, managed to get it working again

Last edited:

Audioboxer

Just bought a Sabaj A20h, it slowly seems to be going extinct and at £76 it's not exactly breaking the bank to give it a go. Funnily enough with the way I route my headphone cables at my PC the back connections actually work for me. But obviously ymmv and these can be a major turn off. As can the weaker non-balanced output I guess, a benefit the L50 has, it powers everything equally as it's just balanced input.

But I'm running Sundara's which are balanced so I'll report back how I enjoy the A20h combined with the D10 balanced (IIRC this is 4v output, whereas the A20h can take 5v output).

With my L50 acting up a bit I may find the a20h works nicely with the exact needs I have with my setup! It does look a bit uglier as well but at this price it is what it is!!!

Veri

Master Contributor
With my L50 acting up a bit I may find the a20h works nicely with the exact needs I have with my setup! It does look a bit uglier as well but at this price it is what it is!!!
Please do report back ;) still very happy with my unit. Wish @amirm would have received/reviewed one at some point.
I do believe a member had sent him one once upon a time.

Audioboxer

Please do report back ;) still very happy with my unit. Wish @amirm would have received/reviewed one at some point.
I do believe a member had sent him one once upon a time.

Surprisingly I found out A20h seems to have less power than the L50! I read things wrong and assumed the balanced output would beat the L50 lol. I'm considering looking at the SP400 and seeing how it performs compared to my L50. The L70 is interesting but I can get an SP400 a fair bit cheaper at the moment.

No blinking white LED again so far, I'll probably be fine in terms of this unit being faulty, I just don't understand what's caused it a few times now and that last time there it didn't seem to want to fix itself until it randomly did.

I've had no power cuts with it being on and I don't abruptly turn off the computer during use either.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Is L50 true balanced circuitry from input to output ?

And how is reliability? Is this using the encapsulated modules, that people seem to say is a problem with other Topping amps ?

@solderdude

Music1969

Major Contributor
The L50 is a single-ended amplifier. This does not impede sound quality in any way.
Thanks, and Is this using the encapsulated / potted modules, that people seem to say is a problem with other Topping amps ?

heat and failures ?

Human Bass

Is L50 true balanced circuitry from input to output ?

And how is reliability? Is this using the encapsulated modules, that people seem to say is a problem with other Topping amps ?

@solderdude
The L50 is reliable. The only annoyance is the massive monovolto psu.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The L50 is reliable. The only annoyance is the massive monovolto psu.
No reports of heat related fault?

Or DC issue?

Has there been any firmware update? I see USB-C port there. I get worried when a pure analogue amp needs firmware updates...

Noodles

Or DC issue?

Has there been any firmware update? I see USB-C port there. I get worried when a pure analogue amp needs firmware updates...
We have no reports of massive faults here at least. Many amps in recent time actually have fw update possibilities. It could be to tune input/output voltages to the TI modules but I don’t actually know as I haven’t seen it from the inside.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

Or DC issue?

I have been using a Topping L50 without issue for two years.

I am not aware of any heat-related issues with the L50 and I get the impression from the 'relative quiet' on the ASR L50 review thread that L50 is regarded as being generally reliable.

usern

Or DC issue?

What heat fault are you referring to? Some other Topping device? Which one? I actually got L50 to replace A30pro since they have similar output power, but L50 produces less heat.

DC protection is a feature, not issue. I use high pass filter at very low frequencies with Equalizer APO to make A30pro not go into protection with content that has DC component.

Human Bass

Or DC issue?

The psu is external, so no heat problem really possible.

It is just a beefed up L30 with bal inputs

Music1969

Major Contributor
Despite having USB-C port for firmware updates - am I correct that there has never been a firmware update for L50?

If so, that's a good thing

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes I already looked but just checking with the existing owners that i am correct

No firwmare updates in 3+ years despite having the USB-C port ? (a good thing!)

Top Bottom