• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 316 86.1%

• Total voters

PortalKeeper

Balanced and Differential are separate attributes of analog audio transmission. You can have one without the other.

There's a fantastic article written by the the audio legend and Purifi designer Bruno Putzeys, where he goes over all of this. Please read it if you have the chance:
It seems a bit advanced for where I am right now. Is there any other article you know of as a warmup for that one?

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems a bit advanced for where I am right now. Is there any other article you know of as a warmup for that one?
Maybe the diagrams there will help:

PortalKeeper

Maybe the diagrams there will help:
So I just had some questions. Does single ended refer more to the cable being used between inputs and outputs? As in noise won’t be rejected if TS cable is used between balanced inputs and outputs? I already knew this but wanted to know it in the context of amplified signals going to passive speakers/headphones. My intuition tells me that since the signal is already amplified, any noise added won’t be audible so there is never any need for a balanced receiver at the speaker or headphone. Am I thinking about this correctly? Thanks again

salmo

Someone know how much power consume power supply, when we turn amp off? Here we have AC power supply - like in Atom AMP - but there it sips ~3W even, when we turn in off. :facepalm:

salmo

Someone know how much power consume power supply, when we turn amp off? Here we have AC power supply - like in Atom AMP - but there it sips ~3W even, when we turn in off. :facepalm:
I checked power adapter (EU version) at local shop today - it sips ~1,7-1,8W without connected amp. Well, that's still a little better than Atom AMP wall wart. :p

Topping L30 II - Schiit Magni 3 - JDS Labs Atom Amp 2? I'm basically looking for a 'cheap' very transparent, clean, neutral bordering on lean/analytical amp to get the best out of the HD650, I have a Violectric V202 and it pairs well with all my headphones apart from the HD650 where I find I need something a bit more leaner sounding?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Topping L30 II - Schiit Magni 3 - JDS Labs Atom Amp 2? I'm basically looking for a 'cheap' very transparent, clean, neutral bordering on lean/analytical amp to get the best out of the HD650, I have a Violectric V202 and it pairs well with all my headphones apart from the HD650 where I find I need something a bit more leaner sounding?
They all sound the same.
Choose based on price, features, design, warranty, etc.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Use eq.

They all sound the same.
Choose based on price, features, design, warranty, etc.

Interesting, do you think that the a90 and a70 pro sounds the same also due to both having good measurements? I only ask this as I was shocked how the a70 Pro sounded, not the typical old school Topping sound at all, much warmer with more bass slam, noticed it immediately, reviews have noticed similar changes to the sound going from L30 to L30II, Topping do seem to be moving away from their original more 'sterile' tuning.

Miiksuli

There is something going on this amp. I got Schiit Magni Unity and it does not go to protection mode while listening to heavy bass tracks like this L30. It does it only at High gain. I'll change my vote because I can't recommend a product that does like this.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is something going on this amp. I got Schiit Magni Unity and it does not go to protection mode while listening to heavy bass tracks like this L30. It does it only at High gain. I'll change my vote because I can't recommend a product that does like this.
One simple way to fix that is to cut down with ultra low frequency with EQ. Not the most elegant thing, but it works lol

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a similar complaint for A30Pro as well I believe. After some digging, it turned out there was some DC in the music which was triggering the protection IIRC.

Miiksuli

@IAtaman Protection kicks in even when gaming. So it's very annoying when u play competitive gaming and suddenly the audio is cut off. What u mean with DC?

half_dog

@IAtaman Protection kicks in even when gaming. So it's very annoying when u play competitive gaming and suddenly the audio is cut off. What u mean witDC = h DC?
DC: Direct Current.
TLDR: DC is bad in any scenario and Topping put a protection system to avoid burning your headphones (and maybe your ears).
But it was not supposed to be triggered that easily. May I ask your setup (headphones, DAC, gain position, volume position...)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@IAtaman Protection kicks in even when gaming. So it's very annoying when u play competitive gaming and suddenly the audio is cut off. What u mean with DC?
Here are some examples of DC offset in digital audio:
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 16.59.17.png Screenshot 2022-12-06 003009.png Screenshot 2022-07-28 125017.png

These can damage your headphones and are a sign of bad/incompetent mastering.

Good amplifiers have a protection circuit inside to block DC at the output.

To check whether DC is the cause of your cutouts, you can use Audacity's Wasapi Loopback feature to record all system audio.

If the cutouts coincide with a DC offset in the waveform, then you have found the culprit.

To fix this, simply apply a high pass filter using Equalizer APO.

SmokedBurger

Here are some examples of DC offset in digital audio:
View attachment 346579 View attachment 346580 View attachment 346581

These can damage your headphones and are a sign of bad/incompetent mastering.

Good amplifiers have a protection circuit inside to block DC at the output.

To check whether DC is the cause of your cutouts, you can use Audacity's Wasapi Loopback feature to record all system audio.

If the cutouts coincide with a DC offset in the waveform, then you have found the culprit.

To fix this, simply apply a high pass filter using Equalizer APO.
Thankfully for me this only occurs on high gain at around 3 o'clock on the knob. only one headphone i own needs this power (a vintage pioneer one). In regards with the high pass filter, what would be the exact parameters for equalizer apo? thank you!

Biamp

Conrad Johnson MV-55 (el34 push pull 45 watts)
I have 2 MV-55’s, I had crossed paths with a guy that had the 2nd one I purchased , he was only getting selling it due to marital reasons. We all know how that goes but anyway it was a excellent move I run one amp and triode mode which only produces approximately 20/22 watts per and I run the other 55 in stock ultra linear mode. I am also using the upgraded crites AB-2 Crossovers I do have a Bryson 10 B sitting in the back room somewhere I’m just too lazy to dig it out but I think it may work out OK as the crossover points are 500
And 6’K, would not exactly work out perfect especially on the top end but what a nice difference. That second amplifier made an overall better sound quality. I’m not talking about how loud it’ll play. I’m talking about the way. It sounds yes you probably guessed by now they are a pair of Klipsch bells. BUT Not using the stock woofer and also not using the stock mid horn , the T 35 Tweeter is the only original driver I would have never known it was a wonderful move, but now I have 16 tubes to contend with instead of eight, I tried going back to a single amp And I just can’t do it. What I am doing here is I believe what we used to call back in the day fools Biamping , as I am still using a passive gross over, hopefully one day, I’ll buy amp correctly. No passive CROSSOVERS but good for now. OK cheers to all. Man The things I get myself into…

Biamp

I have 2 MV-55’s, I had crossed paths with a guy that had the 2nd one I purchased , he was only getting selling it due to marital reasons. We all know how that goes but anyway it was a excellent move I run one amp and triode mode which only produces approximately 20/22 watts per and I run the other 55 in stock ultra linear mode. I am also using the upgraded crites AB-2 Crossovers I do have a Bryson 10 B sitting in the back room somewhere I’m just too lazy to dig it out but I think it may work out OK as the crossover points are 500
And 6’K, would not exactly work out perfect especially on the top end but what a nice difference. That second amplifier made an overall better sound quality. I’m not talking about how loud it’ll play. I’m talking about the way. It sounds yes you probably guessed by now they are a pair of Klipsch bells. BUT Not using the stock woofer and also not using the stock mid horn , the T 35 Tweeter is the only original driver I would have never known it was a wonderful move, but now I have 16 tubes to contend with instead of eight, I tried going back to a single amp And I just can’t do it. What I am doing here is I believe what we used to call back in the day fools Biamping , as I am still using a passive gross over, hopefully one day, I’ll buy amp correctly. No passive CROSSOVERS but good for now. OK cheers to all. Man The things I get myself into…
NEVER use txt talk never gets it out wright at least for me anyway, sorry guys were a mess

Top Bottom