• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

kn0ppers

One day I'll have to try to build a composite unity gain buffer with a DSL line driver and feedback taken after the output isolation resistor as well. Your results are certainly outstanding.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One day I'll have to try to build a composite unity gain buffer with a DSL line driver and feedback taken after the output isolation resistor as well. Your results are certainly outstanding.
It works with other opamps too. Like opa1656*5 inside opa1612's feedback loop.

kn0ppers

I was going to to something with Analog Devices chips. TI seems to be getting all the love, I think that isn't fair. ;)

Edit: Also prototyping with stuff like TPA6120A2 pretty much always means having a new PCB made. You can't just put these CFA beasts on an adapter and prototype on a breadboard. Probably less of an issue with VFAs but still. I wanted to make a pcb that accommodates for different options regarding compensation, but it ended up compromising the layout too much so I discarded that. I'll have to come up with something more concrete on paper first.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was going to to something with Analog Devices chips. TI seems to be getting all the love, I think that isn't fair. ;)
Too expensive. Ad8397 could work but lacks protection so easy to break. Needs external protection.

kn0ppers

Yes sadly it's a pattern that their stuff is relatively expensive independent of quantity. TPA6120A2 is just very attractive from many viewpoints. Performance, availability, price.

No issue of course.
Benefit would be a bit better SNR when playing relatively low volume. But inherent noise of 305p is rather high so I doubt there would be real benefits. But you can switch between headphones and speakers quite conveniently with L30.
Great thanks for the reply John! Might just pick it up then would be handy for switching between headphone and speaker listening

Veri

Master Contributor
Can someone suggest short Rca to Rca cables to connect it to D50s?
These are nice but ship from China via slow airmail https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-rca.html
From amazon US, I personally adore these, own multiple of them https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1+Foot+–+High-Definition+Audio+Interconnect+Cable+Pair+CUSTOM+MADE+By+WORLDS+BEST+CABLES&ref=nb_sb_noss

Otherwise there's also the JDS labs and Schiit rca cables. But might not be the best deal if you factor in shipping.

aatjitra

I am sorry for my question.

But I would like to know if L30 RCA output is not the same like A50?

In A50, the RCA input will automatically connect to RCA output after it is turn off which bypass the signal input to RCA output.

I am planning to use L30 as preamp to drive my power amp (Emotiva XPA2 and tube amplifier).

Thank you for the answer in advance.

raif71

Major Contributor
I am sorry for my question.

But I would like to know if L30 RCA output is not the same like A50?

In A50, the RCA input will automatically connect to RCA output after it is turn off which bypass the signal input to RCA output.

I am planning to use L30 as preamp to drive my power amp (Emotiva XPA2 and tube amplifier).

Thank you for the answer in advance.
Yes, the L30 should act as a preamp ie you can control the output of rca output via L30 volume.

sotiridaf

These are nice but ship from China via slow airmail https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-rca.html
From amazon US, I personally adore these, own multiple of them https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1+Foot+–+High-Definition+Audio+Interconnect+Cable+Pair+CUSTOM+MADE+By+WORLDS+BEST+CABLES&ref=nb_sb_noss

Otherwise there's also the JDS labs and Schiit rca cables. But might not be the best deal if you factor in shipping.

Nice options but i leave in EU.. i will pay taxes if i buy them :(

KR500

Thanks for the review Amir.
I will be ordering one for sure.
Is there a projected release date for Toppings amplifier to match the E30 and L30 yet ?

Nelaer

Can someone suggest short Rca to Rca cables to connect it to D50s?
AmazonBasics RCA to RCA are good. In Poland I could purchase RCA to RCA based on Klotz AC110. Maybe you could find in your local internet-stores by typing "klotz ac110 rca" in search field.

sotiridaf

Mogami W2497 W2965 W2803 W2549 W2534 W2791 W2964, W2947

i will build one with the above mogami. Which model shall i select?

Top Bottom