• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

half_dog

I asked about the chain without Atom just to understand better the situation.
That's weird, maybe something is happening (a subtle groundloop, interference?) with the presence of Atom in the chain doing it sounds that bad... Could it be related with Atom output impedance? If I'm not mistaken, Atom has no resistors for its pre amp output. Just a guess.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only so called damping factor of the system but also frequency respose of earphones, espetially the low-imedance ones, will be influenced by these adaptors, making them sound quiet differently.
these are cheapo adapters and yes, might not work as expected since no one knows exactly how they are built. For $7 or so, just try a few.
Alternately you can DIY (the article also links to some commercial implementations but those are a lot more expensive). Or ask @solderdude for a recommendation, he's the resident expert

ShoKz

hi guys.

Can someone please tell how much L30 weights? without powersuply. just the L30 unit.

Thanks

Jave

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of L30\E30?

frankh

They sound good but if I connect the KTB to the Emotiva power amp and speakers , I will lose the headphone amp funtionality. KTB directly connected to speakers sounded good, KTB/ Burson Fun preamp to the Emotiva power amp sounded even better to my ears and KTB/Atom preamp to Emotiva power amp, not good at all, plain horrible. The weak link here is the active preamp of the Atom. If L30 can manage to sound great both through headphones and through speakers that would be great. Seriously, if Topping L30 has a good active preamp I would sell both The Burson Fun and the Atom. I don't need multiple DACs or Amps in my life. Simple is better :)
I don't own KTB nor Burson Fun preamp but my combi of DX3 Pro and Atom sounded excellent on my JBL LSR 30X (Massdrop matched pair).

CerealKiller

My source is PC to Khadas TB Dac and to Hypex NC122MP. Right now I can control volume via software but would prefer a physical volume wheel for safety reasons
Is your nc122mp amp diy or is it a branded unit? I'm trying to get My hands on a 122mp or 252mp board but can't get any. Also what speakers are you driving at the moment and how good would You Say that the amp is. Thanks

Jaerst

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been reading along for some time without an account. I lately upgraded to Sennheiser HD-660s's, since I literally live 5km away from their headquarter and needed a good pair of headphones to replace my trusty Beyerdynamic DT990's. To power my headphones I'm still using the headphone out of a cheap Denon AV Receiver and therefore thought about upgrading to a more designated headphone amp and dac combo.
The new Topping L30 seems to be the perfect device, which also fits my budget. Do you think going from my Windows PC, through the Apple USB-C Adaptor, the L30 and finally into the 660S's would be an upgrade compared to my current setup?

(feel free to move this reply, if it's in the wrong thread)

Reactions: PSO

yavormoskov

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been reading along for some time without an account. I lately upgraded to Sennheiser HD-660s's, since I literally live 5km away from their headquarter and needed a good pair of headphones to replace my trusty Beyerdynamic DT990's. To power my headphones I'm still using the headphone out of a cheap Denon AV Receiver and therefore thought about upgrading to a more designated headphone amp and dac combo.
The new Topping L30 seems to be the perfect device, which also fits my budget. Do you think going from my Windows PC, through the Apple USB-C Adaptor, the L30 and finally into the 660S's would be an upgrade compared to my current setup?

(feel free to move this reply, if it's in the wrong thread)

I have the same headphones as you. Yes, it would be an upgrade, very big indeed, but please do yourself a favour and buy a good cheap DAC with it. The matching Topping E30 or D10s or Khadas tone boards but there are others good ones around this price range. The difference would be mind-blowing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think you should have said that the P50 is a DC supply, given the fact that all its outputs are DC and the L30 uses AC.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
correct

tom69844

My stack that i ordered from amazon arrived this morning with an EU power supply and an adaptor,
the adaptor included adaptor fits very loose but i did have a better one on hand already.

Is there any Australian version of the l30's power supply?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My stack that i ordered from amazon arrived this morning with an EU power supply and an adaptor,
the adaptor included adaptor fits very loose but i did have a better one on hand already.

Is there any Australian version of the l30's power supply?
This is a known issue related to the sellers. Where did you buy yours from. I guess from Aliexpress? Contact the seller and ask for AU/CN power supply.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The brazilian 2 pin plug is the same of Europe, so no issues here.

Veri

Master Contributor
I think you should have said that the P50 is a DC supply, given the fact that all its outputs are DC and the L30 uses AC.
Woopsie yes made a typo/mistake there thanks for correcting. But point still stands that P50 is not compatible :D

Quizel

Will it bother you if I only put it in High gain? Just asking for some suggestions. Personally I only use mid gain or -9dB gain.
I only use 0dB gain myself (also using an equalizer with -6dB) but I probably wouldn't buy an amp without the ability of some positive gain. The negative gain is a nice touch I see few amps do. Knowing I use 0dB gain, I wouldn't buy an amp with only a high positive gain.

The +9dB is an intelligent choice probably for real world situations for most people/headphones but as a selling point it is weak. I think the average consumer thinks the higher the number the better. Also, not being able to get the full performance from the amp using a typical dac somewhat irks me but I can look past it being I'd never need it. I wish this product came out 6 months ago when I was looking for an amp >.>.

Top Bottom