• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want to judge an amp solely based on measurements then by all means do so but I'd rather use measurement as a guideline and my own ears will make the final judgement after all I'm the one who's going to enjoy what I purchase right, not anyone else.
There is only one way to objectively judge a device, and that is its measurements. If the measurements are better, then the device is better. Period. Full stop. End of story.

But "better" doesn't mean "better for every pair of ears". Hence an objectively "worse" device measurements-wise may prove to be "better for you". ;)

frankh

There is only one way to objectively judge a device, and that is its measurements. If the measurements are better, then the device is better. Period. Full stop. End of story.

But "better" doesn't mean "better for every pair of ears". Hence an objectively "worse" device measurements-wise may prove to be "better for you". ;)
Good luck to you....happy chasing after the best measured equipment Bro

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My wallet thanks you ;)

I'll save you even more. Those headphones are 36ohm 101dB/mw portable headphones? Tried them straight from headphone socket of phone or computer? Either should be more than enough to get the most out of them. Or indeed the creative.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'm not here to prove anything unlike some attention seekers here...I'm merely sharing my honest opinion with those who appreciates it and for those who doesn't please ignore my post. There's no need to take things personally just because I hear things that you don't.

I'm afraid you're the one taking things personally.

It doesn't matter if your ears hear things differently from mine. The two things you are comparing sound exactly the same. Your highly sensitive ears should hear them as sounding exactly the same just like my apparently less sensitive ears. You have already decided the Atom sounds different/better, and as long as you know you are listening to the Atom you're going to continue to hear things like "shorter decay" and more "open" highs. These are figments of your imagination and if you were to conduct a proper blind test you'd realize the truth of this fact. There is nothing in the circuitry of the L30 that should cause it to produce longer "decay" or less open highs than the Atom. They are both equally transparent in any audible sense.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Good luck to you....happy chasing after the best measured equipment Bro

It isn't much of a chase. We're already there. The L30, Schiit Heresy, Atom...they are all at the apex of measured headphone amps. They all do the job they are supposed to do with equal aplomb. They are essentially interchangeable.

frankh

It doesn't matter if your ears hear things differently from mine. The two things you are comparing sound exactly the same. Your highly sensitive ears should hear them as sounding exactly the same just like my apparently less sensitive ears. You have already decided the Atom sounds different/better, and as long as you know you are listening to the Atom you're going to continue to hear things like "shorter decay" and more "open" highs. These are figments of your imagination and if you were to conduct a proper blind test you'd realize the truth of this fact. There is nothing in the circuitry of the L30 that should cause it to produce longer "decay" or less open highs than the Atom. They are both equally transparent in any audible sense.
I'm too old to take things like this personally....trust me, it's not worth it :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Actually it's the right opposite. I felt the L30 is more energetic due to the longer decay of the upper lows but a little closed compared to the Atom.

Well, darn...

Doesn't seem to match up with his impressions.

I guess we'll need to keep asking people what they think it sounds like until there's a better way to make these comparisons.

Oh wait... There already is.

raif71

Major Contributor
1603199366804.png

Here's my attempt at playing DSD Beethoven's 5th by Carlos Klieber using Sundara. Both amps (Atom and L30) are connected simultaneously using rca splitter on the E30 DAC so it was easy ABing between the 2 amps. As expected power wise and due to the source being played...I almost maxed out the Atom and L30 volume at 0db gain L30 and low gain Atom. Going to high gain on Atom and +9db on the L30, I was ok with just slightly around 1pm on the Atom....maybe 1:30 on the L30. Soundwise...I'm going to say, they sound the same. Going back and forth and rewinding the tracks, I couldn't tell the difference between them. As usual I will say YMMV :)

raif71

Major Contributor
So how's the Sundara on a big orchestral piece like the 5th? ;) (it's Kleiber BTW)
I like it. It sounds more spacious and clearer than say Sennheiser hd600 but the Senns has its pluses too like having more warmth. Once in awhile I change headphones to get different takes on music. I also change DACs too to get different sounds (yeah yeah, some of you may :rolleyes:) from music. To me the variety keeps the music fresh. :)

frankh

View attachment 88688

Here's my attempt at playing DSD Beethoven's 5th by Carlos Klieber using Sundara. Both amps (Atom and L30) are connected simultaneously using rca splitter on the E30 DAC so it was easy ABing between the 2 amps. As expected power wise and due to the source being played...I almost maxed out the Atom and L30 volume at 0db gain L30 and low gain Atom. Going to high gain on Atom and +9db on the L30, I was ok with just slightly around 1pm on the Atom....maybe 1:30 on the L30. Soundwise...I'm going to say, they sound the same. Going back and forth and rewinding the tracks, I couldn't tell the difference between them. As usual I will say YMMV :)
Nice setup but the only difference is that I'm using a 1st gen DX3 Pro in DAC mode instead of E30. I guess it clearly shows YMMV apply....we all hear differently and to each their own. I may prefer the Atom with Sundara and someone else may prefer L30 with Sundara. The most important thing is that the owner of the amp makes the final decision from the sound he/she prefers from his/her preferred equipment purchased.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Nice setup but the only difference is that I'm using a 1st gen DX3 Pro in DAC mode instead of E30.
Fully noted. Next I'm going to try ABing Atom and L30 using mojo in DAC mode. That has 3V output in lineout mode. Cannot do it now as I need a 3.5mm to 2 rca female cable which will go to the rca splitter.

Edit: Hmm, the mojo has 2 3.5mm jack out. Perhaps I don't need the cable and rca splitter. I already have 2 3.5mm to 2 rca male cables.

Craig7700

Questions for JohnYang1997

I bought a L30 amp from Amazon. I have used the amp 7 days with an E30 and an SA300 amp.
L30 temp was running 38 deg C

Turned unit off, went to store for 30 min. and came back. Turn unit on, plugged in headphones, BIG pop and bang into headphones.
You can smell the burnt components in the L30. E30 DAC is still fine. SMSL SA300 amp is fine.
Headphones are destroyed. Phillips 9500s

Will Topping cover the damage to my headphones?
Is the L30 amps sensitive to static since they are not grounded?
Is the E30 sensitive to static?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Questions for JohnYang1997

I bought a L30 amp from Amazon. I have used the amp 7 days with an E30 and an SA300 amp.
L30 temp was running 38 deg C

Turned unit off, went to store for 30 min. and came back. Turn unit on, plugged in headphones, BIG pop and bang into headphones.
You can smell the burnt components in the L30. E30 DAC is still fine. SMSL SA300 amp is fine.
Headphones are destroyed. Phillips 9500s

Will Topping cover the damage to my headphones?
Is the L30 amps sensitive to static since they are not grounded?
Is the E30 sensitive to static?
I have read this more than ten times. I don't know what to say.
First of all, we are not insurance company, even though 9500 is cheap, we won't cover it.
Now. Onto the main issue. This doesn't make sense. L30 has full on DC blocking in the input, DC protection at the output, over voltage protection, DC power protection. If anything, I think maybe the internal voltage is somehow becomes all negative voltage.
Directly ship back to us for investigation, do not ship back to Amazon.

Craig7700

Thanks for the quick reply John,

I need to ship the unit back to Amazon in order to get my replacement unit.

I am happy to assist the Failure Analysis department.
If Topping would like the unit back, I need some suggestions on how to get me a new unit and a way to ship the damaged unit to Topping.

Q1 - Any chance the RF switching noise of the SA300 amp contributed?
Q2 - Are the E30 and L30 sensitive to static ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

If Topping would like the unit back, I need some suggestions on how to get me a new unit and a way to ship the damaged unit to Topping.

No don't do it. We will refund directly. And we will give you the money to ship to us via DHL.
Q1 and Q2 both no.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Would you mind PM me your email? I'll forward your email to TP-Wong to take care of you.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great and responsive customer service from Topping IMHO! :) That's rather comforting for somebody who is about to order 4 of their products.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

I read that TOPPING output impedance is less than 0.1Ω and ATOM impedance is 0.7ohm.

Would that make any difference for headphones pairing at all?

Top Bottom